265 ABLR

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Ok so there is mention of the new .338 265gr ABLR in the press release for the 33 nosler but I can't find anything on the actual new bullet. I'm very curious about it as it would be an awesome bullet in my 338 Lapua if the BC is close to where I'm estimating it.

Any one have the scoop on this new offering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bullet is still in design so the actual BC has not yet been determined.
I'm hoping for something in the low to mid .8's.
Should make my 338 RUM sing.

JD338

Yup. 1K yard elk hammers.
Can't wait to work up a load and try them out on crop damage deer next summer. WY antelope too if I can draw a tag.

JD338

The 338 x 26Nosler I have in the works should push that new bullet to 2950fps; about the same as a 338Edge with pressure being the same. I'll be loading this one out 3.6" or so. I took a guess that Nosler would go to .338 before they went .257 for the new ABLRs. I should have the rifle done by the time they come out with the new bullet 8). I hope they go smaller caliber next time. My 257RAI would love to be fed some 125grABLRs! Heck, I'd build a 244Mashburn to shoot a 110gr ABLR. Obviously Nosler's marketing plans are working well on me.

Scott

how different is it from the 33 nosler if you are using the 26 nosler as a parent case?

Fotis,
33Nosler case length is 2.460. I would surmise that the shoulder is set back like the 30Nosler. Nosler hasn't published the length to shoulder yet.
The 26 and 28 are identical. 2.59 case length and 2.166 to shoulder.
The 30Nosler is 2.556 case length and 2.115 to shoulder.
I'm sticking with the longest case with the most capacity. All my Nosler basesd rifles will use the same base case. Easier to source brass and neck up from there. I'm also running the COALs at 3.6" instead of 3.34. Q/L says I might get 225gr/3100fps, 250gr/3000fps and 265gr/2950fps.

Scott

G'Day Fella's,

Shoots_5, thank you for the heads up on this bullet.
It sound like a great option in this caliber!

Doh!
Homer

I just read this about the 265 LRAB:

Nosler - had samples of their new 265 gr., tipped, spitzer on display (.778 G1 BC). A .338 caliber version of their heavily-advertised RDF projectile series will be available "in the future".

I ordered a .338 barrel yesterday to take to AK so I might have to try these out. Now what caliber to build.....I have a 338 RUM and Edge reamer but I have a good quantity of 26 Nosler and 423 Dakota brass. Hmmmm it might take me awhile to decide.

salmonchaser":3vztq9s6 said:
My Jarrett should like those but I have 500 250gr. AccuBond to get through first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A situation I often find myself in. When I like a bullet, I'll buy a mess of 'em usually. Then... it's a good thing because I have plenty of my favorite bullets.

And a bad thing because I don't feel like chasing the rainbow and even trying some new development, because I already have a lot of bullets for a given cartridge!

All in all, I'd rather have the steady supply, but dang... There are a LOT of newer bullets I haven't tried. I'm still impressed as all get out with the downrange capabilities of the standard Ballistic Tip and AccuBond bullets! :)

Guy

The bullet will be out in the July 2017 time frame.
Hopefully I'll be able to run a couple through some crop damage deer in July.

JD338

IdahoCTD":303wrn33 said:
I just read this about the 265 LRAB:

Nosler - had samples of their new 265 gr., tipped, spitzer on display (.778 G1 BC). A .338 caliber version of their heavily-advertised RDF projectile series will be available "in the future".

I ordered a .338 barrel yesterday to take to AK so I might have to try these out. Now what caliber to build.....I have a 338 RUM and Edge reamer but I have a good quantity of 26 Nosler and 423 Dakota brass. Hmmmm it might take me awhile to decide.

Nathan,
I have a 338x26Nosler reamer( long throat). If your interested in borrowing it; I'll send you the reamer print. It's throated to shoot the long ogive bullets.

Scott

Back