.270 is being stubborn; 7mm Rem Mag can do no wrong!

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
Got up to the range today. I had seated the 150 BT just a tad deeper, 3.29 and the 130 PT to crimp in the cannelure, 3.22 ( SPS Blems) I tried R17 with the 150 , 51 to 54gr. 2.5 to 3" groups. Bummer. I started again with the 130PT and 55gr IMR 4350. I went up .3gr each to 55.9 and pressure was fine but same 2.5 to 3" groups. I'm mad at it now! This makes several trys with both the 150/130 with Superformance, R17, R26, IMR 4350. I've got nothing smaller than 1.75" to show for it, with 99% of the rest into 2.5 to 3". Heck, my old Belgium .270 BAR shoots .75 with several loads. I might cannibalize the action, have the 7mm Express barrel put on and screw it in my Brown Precision High Country synthetic. :evil: I don't think there is enough wood in this Mountain Rifle stock for the standard barrel. Anyone ever do that?
On the other hand, my 7mm Rem Mag shined again! I wanted to use this soft Federal once fired brass I have ( I use WW for my max loads) and thought I'd try a couple of starting loads. I loaded the 150NBT ( I made sure it was .284 and not the .277 ones, ha) I used 68.5gr of Magpro and 61gr of IMR 4831. Both shot into about .60"! Pressure was mild too. They hit exactly 1" high at 100 too. I couldn't clock them, but I should be around 3000fps with this 150BT. Plenty for what I want it to do. Oh well, life is still good....even if my pretty rifle is a POC! ha

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been trying to get my buddy's Ruger mkii in 30-06 to shoot under 2" all summer and haven't had any luck. It's the same way with any factory ammo he's tried. I switched scopes to see if that was it, but still no luck. I finally convinced him this week to get rid of it. Didn't take much convincing LOL. Luckily when it went to the range i took another rifle and ammo combo that shoots well to make sure I wasn't off either.

Try IMR4831 in your 270 Win. It's the classic powder choice.

JD338

It's too late! I found a good buyer who was satisfied with my results ( go figure?) but who really wanted the rifle...it's "sold down the river", ha. ( I just "thought" my financial crisis was over, good thing I had an asset!) I will put my focus on my old Belgium made BAR in .270, a proven shooter, and the old guy I bought it from, way back in 2001, said he only handloaded the 150 PT. I will put a bigger scope on it ( so I can see) and go from there. Meanwhile, my 7mm Rem Mag is "gloating"... ha. So is my little 338 FED with TAC and the 160 TTSX! (y)

Back