270 Weatherby?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Who shoots one? What loads/bullets/velocity/accuracy are you guys getting?
Thanx

POP":9e622od1 said:
Who shoots one? What loads/bullets/velocity/accuracy are you guys getting?
Thanx

I have an Ultra Lightweight in .270wby. It routinely shoots .5 inch groups. My particular rifle likes the handload better than the factory load. I killed three deer with it last season (using 140gr ballistic tips) and I plan to use the AccuBond bullet this year. My load is 74.5 grains of IMR 7828. It's above MAX, so remember to start low and work up.

--Mark

Have the Mark V and shoot factory and have loaded BTs in it with groups 1in. +/- This rifle was a gift and I've not shot it that much. Yet........ Plan to switch to 140 AccuBonds and use this fall. Recoil is not an issue with this rifle.

I have a German made Mark V, 24" barrel, hat full of IMR 4350, CCI mag. primer, 130 gr. BT. The velocity is 3250 fps., 15 ft. from the muzzle, accuracy can be 1 hole for 3 shots, also have had 2" groups and larger.

transonic

Nice info guys, keep it up. I had a chance to trade a Sako in .308 Win for a Weatherby in 270 Wby Mag. Now I wish I did.

A friend has one that he bought in 1969. I have no idea of the velocity but he uses a case full of H-4831 with a 130 gr. Partition. It's a real killer on game.

QR
I'll check on the twist today and get back to you, been hunting the "Wily Whistle Pig".

Bdl
Impressive is the word that comes to mind with the 270 Webee !

transonic

The Weatherby with the German barrel had a different twist rate than standard or at least that is what I remember reading someplace.

The 270 WBM is probably all the rifle I'll need along with a half dozen other calibers. :lol:

How has the pasture grizzly shooting been? Hope to have a chance to go in the next two weeks.

QR
A friend and I go every chance we get! The Spring was wet and cool and the hogs were not out much. Now the problem is the rain on Saturdays, 9 out of 10 trips, some or a lot, on the day we were hunting. This past Saturday we managed to get 7 of the varmints. It was 90* degrees, humid, hazy, the 15 minute shower we had was welcomed. We put the gear in the truck and stood in it just like kids. Leave us know how you do when you get out, always ready for a "hoggin report".

transonic

"Groundhogs, the Other White Meat"

Back