270 win. Capabilities

What kind of big bear? Black, Grizzly, Brown?

JD338

I dunno, I was just trying to see what other people thought a 270 was big enough to kill.......

For Black Bears, no problem. They are easy to kill if you hit them right.
But for Griz and Browns, I would want something with a bigger, heavier bullet that has a lot more power. The 338, 375, 416 would be my thinking.

JD338

JD338":3lri24oq said:
For Black Bears, no problem. They are easy to kill if you hit them right.
But for Griz and Browns, I would want something with a bigger, heavier bullet that has a lot more power. The 338, 375, 416 would be my thinking.

JD338

+1

JD338 - You've killed at least a couple of black bear now haven't you?

I seem to have some sort of curse on me when I go looking for bear... Unless of course I'm simply fishing - then I keep finding big ol' bears... :shock:

The looks of some of those really big bruins... I'd want a small cannon if I was hunting them. :grin:

Guy,

Yes, I have killed 3 blk bears. They are easy to kill if you hit them right.
I've used a 30-06 w/ 150 gr PT, 35 Whelen w/ 225 gr PT and 338 RUM
w/ 210 gr PT. The first one ran about 30 yds and the other two were dropped in their tracks.

Keep at it and you will overcome the jinx. A new rifle is always a good way to start. :lol:

JD338

Totally agree with JD338 on this one. I've used my .270 Win on elk and wouldn't be afraid to do so again. The one black bear I shot definatly would have went down using the .270 Win but I used a .30-06 instead. When it comes to large animals with even larger teeth and claws I beleive bigger is better.

I have guided Black Bear hunters for many years. The problem is not killing them as much as finding them after the shot.
Bows are very effective because they cut a large exit hole and severe arteries...I killed 14 with a Bow/Arrow.
A bear can absorb a LOT of hydrostatic shock. I reccomend a .270 150 gr AB or PT...or sinilar premium bullet to do a lot of damage. break bones and get a good blood trail (exit wound)

My favorite Bear calibers.... .308(180GR), .35, .356, .358, .375 , 30.06(220GR) , 450 Marlin, 45-70 etc... I call them THUMPERS

I think Bondington but maybe a different writter shot a big brown bear using a 280 rem with 160gr partitions. If the 280rem will do it so will its twin the 270win both have 160gr partitions, and both have the same case.
I would pick the 35whelen if I where to shot a brown bear.

tjen":opie109h said:
I think Bondington but maybe a different writter shot a big brown bear using a 280 rem with 160gr partitions. If the 280rem will do it so will its twin the 270win both have 160gr partitions, and both have the same case.
I would pick the 35whelen if I where to shot a brown bear.

That my friend is a stunt! Under ideal conditions, even a 243 Win will do the job but...I want a lot more gun should I be faced with a pissed off bear!

And I say stunt because anyone who shells out $12-15K for a Brown Bear hunt isn't going to run the risk of loseing out on that kind of money with a wounded bear that they can't find.
I guess only a gun writer with a prepaid trip by a sponser would use a lesser gun. :shock:

JD338

I agree JD...

Longwinters is currently hunting Bear with his 7-30 Waters TC with 140 gr bonded bullets... I am a little concerned about tracking after the shot...I am not "officially" guiding him but he is my best bud and I will be there.

I don't doubt he'll kill the bear... but how far will it run? Will we get a good blood trail?

As much as I respect my .280 for Deer/Elk etc...I would opt for my .356 Winny with 200gr flatties for Bear.
:)

I would have to agree with JD338. I love reading Boddington, have almost all of his books, dvds, numerous mag articles and I think he would agree with JD338 too.

Deep down he is without question a big bore fan. I would feel alot better going 'big bear' hunting with something like a 35Whelen stuffed with partitions.

I have said for years, "There's no replacement for displacement."

The larger bores have a larger fronral area and hit harder with heavier bullets. The difference between .284 and .358 is 20%. (If you don't think 20% is very much, what would 20% do to your income)?

Black Bears are easy to kill with proper shot placement. Its the bigger bears that you want to hit 'em hard with a larger caliber heavy bullet.

JD338

JD338

My experence is three Black bears two well over 300lbs and one that weighted in at 175 dressed. I used a 60# recurve shots were 6 to 15 yards. If I get to go after a black bear again I think I will use my 358win with 225gr partitions since I haved hunted bears with a gun yet. I do think unless it over 400lbs I will just watch for the fun of it. All the work starts once you pull the trigger.

I think hunting means different things to different people. I have two very good friends that won't go out west for deer or elk with out at least a 300 mag. because of the cost of the hunt. "if I gona pay $2000-$4000 for a hunt I am gonna shot something. But thats not why I hunt, a sucessful hunt is not based on if I shot something or not. Its if I had a good time hunting with my friends enjoying the outdoors. I would prefer not shooting over 200yards at game and even less than 100 if possible. I know alot of bow hunters who if it be out west up in canada or alaska that had no trouble getting within bow range of caribou, moose, elk many got the game but all would have if they were using a rifle.

Ihave a perefrance for the 35rem, 358win, and 35whelen ya and my 270win. Good hunting all.

tjen,

Congratulations on your bear success. You will really like what that 225 gr PT does to a bear. I've used that bullet in my 35 Whelen.

I'm a bow hunter too. I've taken my fair share of WT deer with a bow but no bears yet. I just might give it a go when I pull my next bear tag.

JD338

Back