270 Win switched RL17 to RL16

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
2,493
576
I just had a pinch me I’m dreaming range day.
Took the 270Win out with a ladder and two other loads to verify.
First my first load is RL17 54.2 grains, Norma brass. 130 gn TTSX .
Avg. 3103
ES 19
Sd 8.5

Next up 45/70 325 FTX with RL7. Going to migrate to H4198 if it likes it.
Ave 1927
Es 22
SD 9.0

Both zeros ready to hunt.

Tried my alternate 270 load
130gn NBT over 60.0 H4831
Ave 2994
ES 9
SD 4.6
Hits same POA at 130 TTSX.now it gets wilder.
Did a RL16 ladder 130 TTSX Norma Fed 215
52.4gn Ave 2943 ES 8 SD 3.5 3 in the bullseye.
52.7 ave 2961, es 3.3, sd 1.3
2 in the bulls and I pulled one.
53.0 2984, 18, 8.1
Two more in the bulls and one 1/8” high
53.3 ave 3001,44, 8.1 (one shot went 30 fps faster others were very close… maybe a loader error?) two touching the bulls
53.6 ave 3012 18, 8.6
Two more touching the bulls…
Can’t say I’ve ever found three load that hit so consistently… any of these would have taken a white tail or bigger.

Looks like they loaded in order.
I think that first target two bullets largely hit that bottom left of center hole.

Very content with today’s sesssions.

Need to repeat the RL16 loads at 52.7 and 53.3 and 53.6.

As consistent as they hit, and no bolt lift… will repeat in case my loading technique wasn’t as good as it needed to be…might go a little higher as TL 17 was nearly 100 fps faster….
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8628.jpeg
    IMG_8628.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8629.jpeg
    IMG_8629.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8630.jpeg
    IMG_8630.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8631.jpeg
    IMG_8631.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8632.jpeg
    IMG_8632.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Heavens no. Have been using RL7 and it works nice. 1923fps at 49.1grains.(might have to look that up at home
H4198 is the powder I hope to move the 45/70 to.

FYI. Updated the original post to mention RL7
i've been wanting to try rl7 in the 45-70 but for now i have 1680 and imr/h4198's. someone on here mentioned vv 130/133/135 as what they've used. 250-350gr is the range i use, but did try some sub loads in the bfr 7.5" 45-70.................that was some no recoil ammo. somewhere near 500gr best i remember
 
i've been wanting to try rl7 in the 45-70 but for now i have 1680 and imr/h4198's. someone on here mentioned vv 130/133/135 as what they've used. 250-350gr is the range i use, but did try some sub loads in the bfr 7.5" 45-70.................that was some no recoil ammo. somewhere near 500gr best i remember
RE7 is a good powder gets you speed but price is to much now and why I am looking at other powders.
 
Nicely done on the 270.
Alliant makes really good powders when they make them.
lol. Yes they do! When they do! Happy 16 is looking good as its temp stabile like 25 and 26. I will have to go back to the LGS and see if he still has RL16 and grab another pound.
A guy at the range(right there with… I read it on the internet) he said RL16 is very similar to Varget. I have not verified that personally, but will look into it.
 
I use Re-16 with a 130gr Partition at 3131 fps from a 22" barrel. The load is heavier than you've loaded. Good groups and good velocity, ++.
Thank you Bruce, I will explore that. I’m also going to load that RL16 in 243win under a SGK HPBT 85 grain. That bullet kills very fast on a basic double lung.
 
Back
Top