270 WSM 130gr. bullet speed?

TN deer hunter

Beginner
Dec 21, 2004
Is it possible to push a 130gr bullet over 3400 fps. in a 270 WSM? I saw three loads on reloadersnest.com with two over 3400 and one at 3540 with a 24" barrel and was wondering if this is possible.

I suppose anything is possible but no matter what you do you can't over ride thermodynamics or physics at least in the area were talking. That much speed (3400) with that size bullet would require about 80,000 psi according to quick load. I tried many different powders. I suppose yo could lengthen the throat and seat bullets out further for reduced pressure but than the bullet wouldn't be in the case very far.

Is it possible of course!

Is it safe? Highly doubtful!

3300 is pushing it in a 24" barrel. The 270 WSM is nice but a 270 Bee it is not! :wink:

I got 3400fps with my savage 270 wsm, but the stupid thing never would group. That rifle I spent hundreds of dollars on powder, bullets, and primers only to come up with a load that shot 1-1.25" at 100 yards. I loved the cartridge, just wished I would have gotten it in a different rifle. Savage is junk as far as im Concerned. RIght after I sold mine, my dad bought one also. The holes for the base weren't lined up properly so I just told him to take the POS back and get a winchester. The winchester shot .75" w/out much trouble at all. And you know what, I threw away all my loads that I tried, but I know for a fact I got 3400fps with 130's, 3300with 140's, and 3150 with 150's, out of the 24" tube.

One of the loads I mentioned was from a Savage. I just bought a Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow and was looking for some 130gr or 140gr loads and I was hoping to get close to 3400 fps.. How fast is the loads in your dads rifle?

I cannot safely obtain more than 3300 from a 130 grain bullet in my Kimber Montana 270WSM. Factory ammo(fed. 130gr) in my 270WSM chronographed right at 3250. I know that I cannot obtain 3400, I use my 270wby for that! :)

I find reloading like owning a house. What you do in it is your own business and no one else's until it involves or might involve other people. If you live out in the woods by yourself and like to make bombs and accidentally blow yourself up, your lose and no one elses. If you live in the city and take out your neighbor than building bombs is a bad idea. If you can make a bullet go 5000 fps if no one else is around and your gun will never be sold fantastic. If you shoot around others or plan on getting rid of proofed over and over rifle please don't make it sound as if what you do is good or correct. If you need more speed buy a bigger round. if you need an extra 100-200 fps please don't say its ok until you put a strain gauge on the gun because you might cause another great harm and further blemish the shooting sports people as ignorant fools that some people think we are. The short magnums are loaded about as high as any factory will take things to make them sound great. If they only get 3275 with a 130 grain bullet i'd think mighty hard before trying to go higher.

yeayow":v17aboie said:
I find reloading like owning a house. What you do in it is your own business and no one else's until it involves or might involve other people. If you live out in the woods by yourself and like to make bombs and accidentally blow yourself up, your lose and no one elses. If you live in the city and take out your neighbor than building bombs is a bad idea. If you can make a bullet go 5000 fps if no one else is around and your gun will never be sold fantastic. If you shoot around others or plan on getting rid of proofed over and over rifle please don't make it sound as if what you do is good or correct. If you need more speed buy a bigger round. if you need an extra 100-200 fps please don't say its ok until you put a strain gauge on the gun because you might cause another great harm and further blemish the shooting sports people as ignorant fools that some people think we are. The short magnums are loaded about as high as any factory will take things to make them sound great. If they only get 3275 with a 130 grain bullet i'd think mighty hard before trying to go higher.

Where did that come from? Calm down and count to 10. I ask a simple question, I didn't mean for this post to get you bent out of shape. I think you need more ventilation in your reloading room or you have been huffing too much Hoppes #9. :lol:

Like I said. You can not turn a 270 Win to a WSM. Nor can you turn a WSM into a 270 WBy unless you build one with a 28 or 30" tube. :wink:

Thanks for all the info. I think 3,300 will be what I am looking for in a 130gr. bullet and that should be no problem. I want to use the AccuBond or the Interbond whichever groups the best.

The Hornady Light Magnums are 3150 with 130g bullet for a 270 Win. Now, I know you are talking about the WSM, just pointing out something. I used to shoot my 130s @ 3250 and decided that was too much, and it was a pain trying to settle the powder down in the case so I could seat the bullet properly. Now I shoot my 270 Win @ 3150 with 130g bullets. If I owned a 270 WSM and couldn't squeeze out another 150 fps over top of my 270 Win safely and accurately, I'd get rid of it. Just my opinion.

sorry it came off that way TN but it wasn't meant as a slam towards you for asking a question. Some people on the internet come off sounding like experts and what they do is perfectly acceptable to everyone. Speed equals time and pressure. If the ammo manufactures can't get more speed on a round that is intentionally already loaded high how do other "Experts" think there going to get it. On a 7mm Mauser in a sound gun i would load hotter than the factory myself because my gun is new with newer metals and I would not have the same cautions as a Model 93 mauser. I know its loaded very light and why from the factory. A 270 WSM is not loaded light from the factory so why try to load above 65,000 psi give or take the margin of error. Sorry for coming off like a jerk to you but i have said why, I don't like people getting hurt and ruinning shooting for others

sorry it came off that way TN but it wasn't meant as a slam towards you for asking a question. Some people on the internet come off sounding like experts and what they do is perfectly acceptable to everyone. Speed equals time and pressure. If the ammo manufactures can't get more speed on a round that is intentionally already loaded high how do other "Experts" think there going to get it. On a 7mm Mauser in a sound gun i would load hotter than the factory myself because my gun is new with newer metals and I would not have the same cautions as a Model 93 mauser. I know its loaded very light and why from the factory. A 270 WSM is not loaded light from the factory so why try to load above 65,000 psi give or take the margin of error. Sorry for coming off like a jerk to you but i have said why, I don't like people getting hurt and ruinning shooting for others

I was getting over 3400 FPS w/130 grn. Partitions and 74 grns. of Magpro. Switched to 140 grn. AccuBond and 71 grns. of Magpro and still over 3300 FPS. Both loads group 1/2" or better.

Well Magpro is the powder for the 270 WSM for speed as far as I was concerned. THats the powder I was playing with mostly. IT gave me high velocity and mediocre accuracy. The other powders I tried were slower in velocity and the same or worse in the accuracy department. Its not all that uncommon to see 3400fps w/130's, or 3300fps w/140's out of the 270 WSM when using magpro powder from what I've seen and had first hand experience with anyways. LIke I said, I love the caliber ballistically, just should have saved my pennies and got a little better rifle then a stupid savage.

I gotta tell you, you're the first person I know who didn't like his savage for accuracy reasons. I know some who don't like them, but it's aesthetics, not accuracy, that turns them off. I have yet to find one that didn't shoot. I guess there had to be one.

I know I'm the first one, but I guess everyone has had a bad experience with some company. The only reason I went ahead and got a savage was because I frequented so mnay different forums and seen nothing and heard nothing but good luck in the accuracy department. I usually have no trouble finding a load that will shoot 1" for 3 shots at 100 yards. THis is with trigger work and reloads. The savage would do 1" on occasion, that was 1 load out of about 100 tried. It was more like 1.5-2" rifle at 100 yards. I tried everything out of it. I had a good proven leupold scope in tight leupold hardware. I have played with almost 10 different stainless/synthetic ruger 77 mk2's, and all of them have shot 1" or better, most 3/4" at 100 yards. All this with just trigger work and reloads. My remingtons though will do 1/2" or better with there "pet" loads. However my best 3 shot group to date at 100 yards is .043" which has come from my winchester 70 classic sporter in 25-06. I for one dont see myself buying another savage rifle, not in a bigger caliber anyways. I know several of my dads friends have them in 223 or 22-250 heavy barreled rifles and they all shoot .5" or better, so I guess I was the unlucky one who just might have got a bad one :(

yeayow":1xzrod2t said:

yeayow,

No problem, I really didn't take it to heart I knew you were just trying be informative. When I seen the speed on those loads I was just wondering if it was possible I knew I had not seen any published load data to support this type of speed. However, I am getting 3,336 out of my 300WSM with 150gr Interbonds and 3,525 with 125gr Speer TNT, both shoot under 3/4" so I thought 3,400 with a 130gr 270WSM could be possible as well as safe. I have seen a few loads that are around 3,375 but nothing over 3,400. Thanks for the post. :mrgreen:

Back