270 WSM and 7mm WSM

Greg and I are headed to Wyoming next week, taking one of each calibers mentioned above. After a few days of antelope hunting we will know which is best, only kiddin' of course!

Looking forward to the hunt,

All the best, Jim

Good luck fellas. Loaded up a bunch of rounds to get zeroed up and ready to hunt. Thinking the mighty 270 WSM needs some mountain time.

The 7 WSM is probably my favorite cartridge out there and I really don't use anything else anymore for big game, even though I do have a new 300 WSM on order that should be here this upcoming week. I've been burning up quite a bit of RL26 in my 7 WSM and am getting really good accuracy and velocities.

akhunter":23tejwxj said:
The 7 WSM is probably my favorite cartridge out there and I really don't use anything else anymore for big game, even though I do have a new 300 WSM on order that should be here this upcoming week. I've been burning up quite a bit of RL26 in my 7 WSM and am getting really good accuracy and velocities.

Excellent cartridge, that. I haven't tried RL26 yet. That needs to be addressed this winter.

akhunter":byawc06q said:

Same here. I check my 250 yard zero with the 7mm WSM and 140 PTs the other day over my pack. Shot a nice 1.5"ish cluster. Ran them over the chronograph and got 3250 average. Not sure if it'll hunt this year but it may get some deer hunting time. The 270 is already in Oregon ready to go.

I've been shooting a custom 7WSM for several years. Built it primarily for long(er) range whitetails. Using the 160 AB and a max charge of 7828ssc produces 1"-1.5" groups at 300 yds.
Even though the AB is a stout bullet it drops whitetails like rocks. They generally just drop to the shot.

I shot a 450 lb Red Stag with the same load. Took a high shoulder shot and the big boy just dropped. The 160 AB lodged in his spine but the damage was done.

The 7 WSM has become one of my favorite cartridges, but the lack of any commercial brass has become an issue. I'm very surprised that Nosler hasn't started producing the brass and cornering 100% of the market.

If I rebarrel, I will likely chamber for a different cartridge solely based on the availability of high quality brass.

Back