270 WSM and 7mm WSM

So I went out to verify the 7mm WSM with 140 PTs. I was very happy with it.

First 3 from today.

Figured I'd shoot another 3 and see if I could duplicate it. Almost.....

Had a good start and blew the third one.

Ran it over the MagnetoSpeed as well. Pretty speedy little sucker with RL26

Very pleased with it. Plan to load up a couple 140 Bitterroots and pray to the Hunting Gods they print in the same place as the PTs. :twisted:

Had a pretty good day with the 270WSM as well. RL26 just SINGS in my two WSMs. Pretty impressed with it so far.

So, I believe I'm pretty close with this one. It'll get the same test run with a 150 BBC as well. That load is pretty exciting. These two rifles have always shot excellent and they didn't let me down today.

Well, you're stimulating me to get off my duff and load up some rounds with RL26. Excellent work, Scotty. That 67.5 grain load with the 270WSM is so close you can feel the bullets almost willing themselves to hit the same POI. Excellent!

DrMike":38ftraqf said:
Well, you're stimulating me to get off my duff and load up some rounds with RL26. Excellent work, Scotty. That 67.5 grain load with the 270WSM is so close you can feel the bullets almost willing themselves to hit the same POI. Excellent!

Yes sir! I do like that 270... It does well when I steer it decently.

I've had such success with the 130 grain E-Tip and RL17 that I am hard pressed to look for another load. However, since I have some RL26, I am compelled to explore new vistas for both the 270WSM and the 7mm WSM.

DrMike":lklmse8i said:
I've had such success with the 130 grain E-Tip and RL17 that I am hard pressed to look for another load. However, since I have some RL26, I am compelled to explore new vistas for both the 270WSM and the 7mm WSM.

I hear ya. I like what I see from it out of the WSMs. Worth the price of admission.

Scotty, real nice shooting and great velocity. I can't wait to get my 270 WSM back from the gunsmith.

Both of those are doing great especially that 7mm WSM. That will put a smile on your face :)

Shot a little more of the 140 Partitions and RL26. Seems to be decent. I have not been shooting regularly but I think this will work decently.

I have always thought the 7 was the best of the WSM casings. Now if you could just get brass for the darn things. Seems like the only way to get WSM brass is to watch for Ammo on sale cheap. Dang!

kraky1":2ohkex2w said:
I have always thought the 7 was the best of the WSM casings. Now if you could just get brass for the darn things. Seems like the only way to get WSM brass is to watch for Ammo on sale cheap. Dang!

You aren't kidding about that. Luckily I've got a couple hundred pieces and annealing them often seems to keep them alive forever. I've NEVER lost a primer pocket in a WSM case. They are tough.

I do like the 270 a lot as well. They are both pretty danged good.

I just picked up 8 boxes of federal 300 wsm ammo loaded w/130 ttsx for $27.50 a box off midway and I don't even own one.
I got two buddies that do though and I called both of them and said we better jump on this that's the price of brass alone! That little 130 is a very capable and shoot great in my 308 caliber rifles.... if we're lucky the ammo shoots great as is otherwise we've got some brass!

The 7mm WSM is an excellent cartridge. Don't know that I'd argue that it is the best of the lot, but it certainly is giving whatever is the best a run for its money!

My 270 is shooting pretty well. Thinking I might load up some more Partitions and get it zeroed up and take it to Wyoming.

I've got a bunch of 150 BBCs that need to kill something.

That'll do, Scotty. Should put a smack down on about any game in NA.

Just my observation, and 2 cents worth....

It looks to me that your rifle likes bullets with longer surface bearing, e.g. the Partitions.
If you want to use the longer surface bearing spitzer boattails, I recommend using Speer, or Barnes bullets, or Hornady AMAX.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

DrMike":3c8r6ni3 said:
That'll do, Scotty. Should put a smack down on about any game in NA.

I'm pretty much thinking I am going to take it Mike. It's been awhile since the 270 has hunted seriously.

When do you leave for elk hunting Scotty? I'm headed out tomorrow with my 300wsm in tow. Our season opens the 1st but I need to scout a few days before hand.

Back