270 wsm loads

matts318

Beginner
Mar 4, 2007
Well i finally got a new scope for my 270 wsm since my last one crapped out on my a year ago and its time to start load testing again. I have a load with 7828 and 130 ABs but im getting like 300 fps below book specs with it, but it consistently shoots under an inch at 100 yards so i just used it for lack of time to work up a load for it with another powder. What powders have yall hade good luck with? I will be shooting the 130 ABs. Powders I have on hand are reloder 15, 17, 19, and 22, IMR 4350, IMR 4895, H380, H4831sc, H4350, varget, H4895, and BL-c 2, I think thats all of them. Reloader 17 didnt shoot real good but could work down to a lower load, the alliant info. online was really hot in my gun, so that could have been the problem. Reloader 19 was a dang shotgun pattern on the target, seriously like a 6" group, and 4350 shot ok, a little over an inch to inch and a half. I dont know what to do guys, I thought I had chosen some good powders for this caliber but have had no luck, i would just retry them all but dont have a lot of time before season opens down here, what are yall having luck with?

Just a side note, my velocity spread was only like 3 fps with the rl 19, I have no idea why it grouped so bad.

Each gun is going to be slightly different in the results it posts -
My first question is barrel length? is it the same as the test barrel used in the load data ?

Viht N-165 is good for slightly over half inch groups out of mine with the 130's

My load was with RL 22 at about 3200-3300 fps with the 130 Accubonds.

it is a 22" barrel I believe, I get published velocity with other powders, was getting a little over 3300 with reloader 19. Im trying to use powders i already have so i dont have to go buy anything, I will try some reloader 22, anybody else have any luck with the powders listed?

I use H4831SC with a 130 NAB for 3250fps
I tried H4350 with good results.

Try seating deeper, my groups got smaller once I got .050" off the rifling

Seating depth was the key in my Tikka T3 lite. I maxed out the length to barely fit in the magazine.
130 Nos. Accubonds IMR 4350 64.5 grs. (hot load work up slowly) Fed 215 primers. OAL 2.90" 3330 fps avg. vel.
That combo gave me the velocity and accuracy I was after. I also had a problem with shotgun pattern loads untill I checked the distance to the lands and realized it was .22 with the 2.80 OAL I was using.
Good Luck
Greg

How far off the lands were you before the groups tightened up? In my Ruger I can only load to 2.850 with reliability in the magazine, it ends up being around .095 off the lands, I could do maybe a little more but was having problems getting shells in. In general do accubonds like to be seated deeper? I know some bullets prefer jump and some dont, the 180 AB in my 308 doesnt like much jump thats why I ask, it has a custom tube on it though so I dont know if thats a fair comparison.

Well I just got back from shooting some reloads today and Im pretty happy, H4831sc shot the best with 2 at .6" and .4". RL 17 gave me one group at 1 3/8" with 2 holes touching and a flyer and then a 3" group, RL 22 was over a 3" group and did not shoot the second one after that and reloader 19 an 1 1/2 group but with 2 shots in one hole and the random flyer. The H4831sc load was almost a clover leaf with 2 holes touching and the last one just under the first 2 shots, hopefully next weekend I can get the crony out and get out to 200 yards and see what it will do.

I have had excellent luck with Magpro, RL22 and IMR7828SSC in my 270WSM with 130 and 150gr bullets. Right now I am using 66gr of RL22 and the 150gr BT for 3100 and 64gr of RL22 with the 150gr PT for 3150. Seems like H4831 would be a great one also. 270WSM is a great one. Hope you are able to get it out this year. Scotty

Matts, I have had the best results with Vihtavuori N-165 in my .270WSM. But have also had good results from RL-19 and RL-22, IMR-4350 and Accurate Data 86 (basically cannister grade Accurate 3100). Stick with the slower powders and you should be able to find both the accuracy and velocity you are looking for. That 22" barrel will limit your velocity somewhat, as my Model 70 is a 24". I typically didn't find the best accuracy at max loads, usually a grain or two under.

I typically didn't find the best accuracy at max loads, usually a grain or two under.

Interesting observation. My data indicates a similar result, especially with 130 and 140 grain bullets.

Thanks for the replys guys, I was just trying to narrow down my powder choices to just a few, previously I had thought I had some good choices in there with horrible groups though, or good groups and horrible velocity. I hope Im getting good velocity with the H4831sc because it sure was shooting good, just not sure im gonna get the chance before season starts.

Just curious, which scope crapped out on your .270WSM, and what did you replace it with. I have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9X Ballistic Plex on mine, and it has worked fine for over 6 years. Am considering something with a little more magnification. Really like the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14X on my Stevens 200 in .243. Maybe a Leupold 4.5-14X VX3.

I have two 270WSM's(wife's and mine). Both in a Tikka T3 LS rifle with Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 and VX3 4.5-14x40 scopes with BC reticles. Reloads with 140gr Accubonds using Retumbo and Federal 215 primers. One rifle likes a compressed load of 71.0gr, the other 69.0gr. Bullets are seated out so that only a sheet of paper passes between the bullte tip and the edge of the clip. Both rifles shoot uder 0.5" groups @ 100m.

Did I say I love this caliber and bullet combo :mrgreen: I almost prefer to hunt my big game here in Alberta with it. For me my last animal, I took a large cow elk in 2008 in late December at -33 degrees Celcius with a 1 shot kill, if I remember right @ 200m broadside-double lung. She flipped over backwards and was down!! I was going to take the rifle to Moose Camp this year but stayed with my Sako m75ss 300WM-tradition I guess since 1997). I still have my whitetail buck, Mulie buck draw and bull elk to take so I will probably use the 270WSM hunting the deer for the rest of the season.

I had other powders (H1000/7828SSC/WS780/MagPro) and 140gr TSX's to try but with the results at the range and on big game since reloading starting 2005, I never tried anything else. I traded off all my new TSX's for more Accubonds.

I have not developed a load for 130gr but my hunting and do all is MAGPRO at 74.2 with 140gr AccuBond out of my Tikka T3 Lite SS.
The deers love it.

Back