270 WSM Mountain Rifle ideas

Can't wait to here some range reports on this. I have been looking for exactly the same thing and have been stuck between this rifle the Tikka and the tc venture. That is a beautiful rifle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re-weighed the rifle with a more accurate scale. Add 4.5 ounces. Total weight is 7lbs. 14.5oz. Still pleased.

Polished one burr on the feed rails that was scratching brass and pulled one chit of aluminum out by the front sling stud. Otherwise the rifles finish is very nice.

Cleaned the barrel of fouling from factory proofing rounds. Ran clean without copper after 8 patches of Boretech eliminator. Bore feels pretty smooth.

It will probably be a few weeks before I find time to start breaking it in.

ksubuck":1y5fusy9 said:
Re-weighed the rifle with a more accurate scale. Add 4.5 ounces. Total weight is 7lbs. 14.5oz. Still pleased.

Polished one burr on the feed rails that was scratching brass and pulled one chit of aluminum out by the front sling stud. Otherwise the rifles finish is very nice.

Cleaned the barrel of fouling from factory proofing rounds. Ran clean without copper after 8 patches of Boretech eliminator. Bore feels pretty smooth.

It will probably be a few weeks before I find time to start breaking it in.

Sounds great to me. I'd be just fine using that rifle for everything. Love the 270 WSM. It's a monster loaded up with good Bullets.

Not a great start at the range, got a horizontal stringing problem. Checked and tightened the action screws and it didn't help, ran them up to 60 inch pounds. Time to bed the action and recheck the scope mounts.

20170415_170809.jpg

20170415_170822.jpg

20170415_170828.jpg

20170415_170839.jpg

I had considered the shooter, but with the 30-06 running well and the 7-300 shooting this at 200

20170415_171723.jpg

I don't think I was having a bad day.

Any other thoughts?

Ring screws were fine, pulled scope. Mount screws were fine. Retorqued everything as I reset the scope.

Rechecked the floated barrel. Only resistence was about a half inch ahead of the action. Pulled the action. Found that the factory bedding had a bubble of epoxy supporting the bottom of the barrel. That will be the problem...

20170416_195743.jpg

I scuffed it up with sandpaper so it is easier to see on the picture. Finished sanding it all the way down to fully float the barrel. Wonder why that pressure point is put in? I can see the barrel bouncing on that thing and resetting differently every time. Will post followup findings when I get some more range time with it.

I think your right to check the bedding and mounts. It is trying to shoot for darned sure.

The 60.5gn charge had almost no vertical to it. In all of the groups, the largest vertical spread I saw was about 0.75 inches. All but one group had 2+ inches of horizontal spread.

In the first 2 pictures you can see it walk left-right-left-right-left-right. Something was repeatable...

If the trigger wasn't so smooth, I would think it was the culprit. There was also a moderate crosswind, but not enough to affect my other rifles much. It could still be in the scope, but I doubt it. Bedding makes the most sense to me.

I have a M70 EW in .270 Win and it has been a great shooter. Mine weighs in at 8lbs 9oz with sling and 5 rounds of 130 grain ammunition in the magazine. I could do a little to lighten it up more, going to a 3-9X40 VX2 would save me 5oz or a FXII 6 would save me 6oz, plus changing the sling would help as well. I swapped the stock from the B&C to a McMillan FWT with Edge fill but that only saved me 5oz. My buddy used a Wildcat Composite stock on his M70 and his stock is 10oz lighter than my McMillan.

270.jpg

P1000619.jpg

P1000621.jpg

P1000620.jpg

Here are the first 6 shots I took with my EW after I got it while it was still in the B&C stock. It is still a pretty consistent rifle with anything I feed it after the stock change.

270federal1.jpg

270federal.jpg

270federal3.jpg

Well, reworking the bedding and resetting the scope did absolutely nothing to improve the horizontal problem. So I went and switched scopes out this morning and went to the range this afternoon.

Not ideal conditions...

20170429_132532.jpg

but with rain/snow in the forecast tomorrow I figured I needed to get this rifle figured out. If I needed to re-bed the rifle, tomorrow would be the perfect day to do it.

But...

20170429_161855.jpg

replacing the scope fixed the problem.

Now I can box up the brand new Leupold and send it in for repair... Maybe I will just leave the Nikon on the gun and call it good.

Very nice. Most of them I've seen or shot have been really good shooters with just about anything decent.

Back