270 wsm or 7mm rem mag

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
In a lightweight package what would you pick for deer and why?

270 WSM... 130 Partitions and it's pretty danged awesome for deer or whatever you point it at. Honestly, they both do the same thing in my opinion. Bullets are virtually the same and nothing much one can do the other can't.

I'm running 150 Partitions at 3150 with RL26.. Nothing much I wouldn't hunt with it. Same goes for the 7mm Rem Mag doing the same thing. I thing the WSMs do come together accuracy wise a little faster than a 7 Rem but that's a fairly small sample overall.

It will be my pleasure to respond to your thread

I have not hunted with either in Alaska, but had the opportunity too hunt with each in Texas and Arizona when we lived in Texas. I am not sure that if all your going to hunt with these rifles are deer that it makes any difference. And since you hand load it also probably does not make a difference, but if your buying ammo you will find more 7mm options available to you and I would think that the 7mm would also expand the range of animals one could hunt Brooke

alaska100":y014rvd3 said:
It will be my pleasure to respond to your thread

I have not hunted with either in Alaska, but had the opportunity too hunt with each in Texas and Arizona when we lived in Texas. I am not sure that if all your going to hunt with these rifles are deer that it makes any difference. And since you hand load it also probably does not make a difference, but if your buying ammo you will find more 7mm options available to you and I would think that the 7mm would also expand the range of animals one could hunt Brooke

Brooke, what would you hunt with a 7mm Rem that you wouldn't with a 270 WSM? I say that liking both of them a lot but I bet it would take a slew of killing to tell the difference between a 150 A-Frame in a 270 WSM and a 160 A-Frame in the 7 Rem running the same speeds :mrgreen:

Scotty, I stand corrected, you are right. I was thinking Elk, but after I made the post I remembered that you and my father have a friend in Colorado that hunts Elk very successfully with a 270. Thanks for the correction Brooke

I own Model 70 Featherweights chambered in either cartridge. There isn't a dime's worth of difference in how effective either is in the field. It is a matter of which you like best. Each qualifies as a great cartridge.

Fotis,

A light weight deer rifle says 270 WSM.

JD338

The answer to the question is yes ;)

I like the 270 better but there is no bad answer.

Having owned and hunted, and taken game with both, my preference would be for the 7MM, but I hunt more moose and elk than deer. And I prefer the 160 gr .284" bullets for their BC and SD numbers.

For a lightweight deer rifle, I would have to give the nod to the 270 WSM, just because it is a short action and can be a lighter rifle with a 23" barrel (I.e. Sake Finnlight or Browning X-Bolt) I do prefer the 140 gr bullets in the .270

I am just starting too play with the 270wsm that I picked up for my son :wink: I have some 150gr. ABLRs to start with.
I have never owned a 7mm mag but have been loading for 2 different rifles for almost 20 years and they have always had great accuracy & dependability.
I will let you know how it goes (y).
While on the subject any loads that people have found using the 150gr. ABLRs would be greatly appreciated :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

I always liked the 270 Win in a light rifle, 22" barrel.If I am going to burn more power than a 270 Winchester, and use a 24" barrel I would rather move on up to the 7mm bore size and take advantage of the heavier 7mm bullets, which I like to think offer some advantage over anything in 270 caliber.

No matter what I may try to do with a 270 WSM I can match or exceed it with a 7 Rem Mag.I understand there will be no difference on most deer sized game but whatever advantage there may be will lie with the 7mm bore size .....IMHO. :)

Had them all and the only 277 that I use anymore is the 270 Winchester.

270 WSM for light deer rifle. Never owned a 7mm anything. Never even owned a 270Win, but I have a Ruger 270WSM with a 23" barrel and a Ruger 1B 270Wby with a 26" barrel and never saw any advantage to 7mm. Especially for deer.

For deer alone the .270 WSM. The 130 grain loads are numerous in availability and versatility. You can easily get 3300 fps from a 24" barrel. The recoil will be slightly less than a 7mm Rem Mag shooting 140s especially in a lighter weight rifle and of course it is a more efficient case.

The 7mm Rem Mag is by far the better "all-around" choice due to a better range of bullet weights, availability of components and factory ammo not to mention its much easier to find a rifle in 7mm Rem Mag than .270 WSM.

Just my $0.02...

Dale

25-06... oh, that wasn't one of the choices. Okay, I have had both and not a lot of difference, but in a lightweight package for deer a 270 wsm.

Back