.270 WSM?

Aug 2, 2005
Rainy days can be expensive to me...I have been scanning ballistics and getting the new rifle itch...

I think I'm hooked on trying a 270 WSM so here goes...I'm curious to what you educated gentlemen think. :wink:

Which .270 WSM would you purchase? :?:

I have a Savage model 10GL that I just got to shoot yesterday (finally....it's been too windy up here :cry: ). There was still a little wind, so I didn't want to waste any of my hand loads, so I shot some factory stuff. I only tried 1 brand, but I got some promising results. After initial sighting in it shot:

Winch Sup 130 gr Bal Silv Tips = (2) - 5 shot groups measured 1 1/4" & 3/4" Needless to say, I was thrilled. Mind you the wind was still blowing with gusts around 10-15, but shooting between the gusts I was able to get these results @ 100 yards.

I'm really anxious to try some of my hand loads. I think this gun is going to be a "shooter".

Blaine

Well, my recomendation may prove hard to find these days, since Winchester is no longer producing model 70's.

I am very pleased with my Winchester Moder 70 Super Shadow Camo chambered in the .270 WSM. It is a nice rifle, all around. It is a stainless steel action and barrel sitting in a pretty darned nice camo fiberglass stock. It has a nice recoil pad as well.

The rifle is pretty light and handles well. It feeds the fat 270 WSM cartridges well. The trigger was readily adjusted down to 3 pounds.

With factory WInchester 150 grain power point loads it shoots about 1.5 inch groups, and delivers 3100 fps.

With reloads using RL 22 it shoots 3/4 inch groups routinely with the 140 Nosler Partition and one inch groups with the 140 Nosler AccuBond. Velocity with either load is just over 3150 fps.

It is pretty new, I have only taken it hunting one time. But, it proved its worth last week.
It dropped a nice meat hog of maybe 125 pounds very dramatically. I shot this hog coming up a draw towards me at maybe 50 yards. The 140 grain AccuBond passed through the bottom of his ear and entered the neck. He dropped as if struck by lightning!!

If the Winchesters are hard to find, I guess the next choice would be the Browning A-bolt.

Just a personal thing, but I would NOT buy a Kimber. I have worked with some of them in varmint calibers and I am just not impressed AT ALL!!

The 270 WSM is pretty impressive. My buddy has an identical Winchester Model 70 and he is shooting 130 grain Partitions at 3400 fps using RL 19. I saw him drop an antelope with it last year and it really did the trick.

Just wish Winchester had not closed that plant.

Whatever you do dont get a remington 700 SPS, had one and its ergonomics sucked. Borrowed a Win 70 classic and it fed just as well as a regular 270 Winchester would have. No hangups or bad ejections. I would go for a Win 70 given my choice!

elkslayer308":32r4hwfk said:
I would go for a Win 70 given my choice!

If you can find one at a decent price! :wink:

Elkslayer & POP,
My local Wal-Mart has a 270 WSM Super Shadow with a cheap Simmons scope on it for $400. You can put a Richards laminated stock on and still only have $550 invested.

CamoWildcat":1qkbd1p1 said:
Elkslayer & POP,
My local Wal-Mart has a 270 WSM Super Shadow with a cheap Simmons scope on it for $400. You can put a Richards laminated stock on and still only have $550 invested.

I bought the same gun from a CA Walmart 2 1/2 years ago. Damn thing is awesome. I did ditch the cheap Simmons 8-point scope in faver of a Luppy Vari-X III 3.5-10X50. All four rounds I reload for it are .5 or better MOA groups. It still has the original stock, and scope bases.

My 270 WSM is my antelope gun, so I only load 130s in it. It shoots .5" groups all day long with that load. I put a Richards Dual Grip Thumbhole Walnut stock on it and replaced the cheap Simmons scope with a Cabela's 6.5-20x52 30mm tube scope. My total investment is still under $1000.

I would have to agree that the 270wsm is a fantastic cartridge. They seem to be extremely accurate. If I had to choose a 270wsm I would pick the Nosler Model 48. I know it is a shameless plug, but I have seen those rifles shoot .33" groups routinely in the lab.

By all means if you can afford it buy the Nosler, I wish I could. But if not !!! SAVAGE, my model 16 shoots just over an inch group with federal 140 accubonds. Hard to beat for the dollar

I just got back from shooting a 270 wsm today. Boy what a shocker. My dad won it a week or two ago.. Im not sure the model of savage it is. SS with the accutrigger and detach mag. We just tried some factory ammo. Reminton core locs shot about 1.5 in group at 100 yds. We cleaned the barrel and shot 4 federal 140 accubonds out of it. .300 of a inch. Just over that on the second group. It sure beat my new remington 700 in 300 win mag which I also shot for the first tome today with factory ammo. Tried the remington premier 180 gr bts. Terrible, 3.5 in at 100. The savgae is ugly but does it shoot!

A nice Win 70 Clasic or Featherweight in 270 WSM and have it accurized.

One of the best cal. out their up to elk.......Reloader 22 and 140 AB.

I have a Kimber Montana in 270WSM. Seems pretty accurate so far(only 110 rds fired)
After joining this forum, I might have to try the 140 grain AccuBond -could be interesting

I have 2 Tikka T3 Laminate Stainless 270WSM- LOVE THEM. Great shooter, very silky smooth action. The wife took over the first so I got another for me. :p I waited an extra year for the laminate over the synthetic version. I reload for mine (under 1/2" groups), and the wife's rifle shoots factory Winchester Supreme AccuBond CT's (5/8")

Anyhow this Tikka 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds ROCKS! My wife took her first mulie and cow elk in 2004. I used mine for my cow elk in 2005, and the fatherinlaw used my wife's rifle for his elk and moose. I'M VERY IMPRESSED with the performance.

I love my Sako m75SS 300WM but the 270WSM is starting to win me over, especially on the elk. I guess just like everything else...bullet placement is the key with the smaller rifles

If not a Tikka T3 LS, look at the Sako m75 Grey Wolf or the SS version. Also Sako has the new odel 85 out this year. I personally like the stock of the m75.

I have Leupold VX3 scopes with the BC reticle. This works phenomenal with the 270WSM.

Anyhow, good luck in your choice.

Back