270 WSM

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
I have been toying with the idea of getting my 300 WSM rebarreled to 270 WSM for a flatter shooting, less recoiling magnum load.

Any advice or opinions? I am mostly a deer hunter who occasionally chases elk and black bear here in Idaho. As I get older recoil is getting to be more of an issue.

I figure a 140 grain AccuBond at nearly 3200 fps would kick about like my .30-06 with heavy loads but not as heavy as my .300 WSM. I actually owned a .270 WSM years ago but as the rifle (wont mention name of manufacturer) was poorly built I sent it down the road. Though I have always liked that cartridge.

Opinions? Constructive advice only please?

You might be as well off looking for a good used 270 WSM as to spring for a new barrel.

If he hasn't sold it or changed his mind about selling it...I know a guy that has a practically new one (model 70, FN 2008 model Featherweight)...it's just a barreled action, no stock...the stock got broken a couple of years ago.

Edit- never mind, he already sold it to his brother.

Yeah Doc I might as well at that. My 300 has barely been used and is a nice rifle, just getting recoil sensitive it seems. I get headaches after range sessions pretty regularly these days.

I do too (headaches)...if I fire too many rounds...20 or so doesn't bother me....but a day of 5 stand (100 rounds, 12 gauge) gets me every time.

Love the 270WSM! In my opinion it's the best of the bunch! Shoots flat, recoils easily. I have no troubles kicking a 150PT out at over 3100 and I have no reason to look elsewhere. I love my 7's, but the 270WSM with the right bullets is entirely elk and moose capable and thrives on deer killing!

I would build one! Twist it 1-8 to take advantage of new 277 billets on the market.

Fn winchester or Montana action, McMillan stock with medium contour 1-8 lilja or pacnore 24-26" barrel.

You could also screw a vias brake onto your 300, dead mule the stock, and run 130-150 Ttsx

I agree with SJB, my 270WSM a Nosler M48C found the X-ring at 1000yards with 150gr Bergers running around 3100fps. I had a brake put on it and it just purrs now, no recoil to think off.

I too agree on the 270WSM. I have 300WSM also but it is a new project. My 270WSM has taken Deer of course and about 6 or so Elk. Elk with the 140AB and 150PT, both worked great. I am now loading the 150 ABLR and it is rough sighted in but have not done any serious check out with it yet.

Yeah I used to have a .270 WSM but didn't care for the rifle even though I loved the cartridge. Too many feeding issues. I am planning to sell my .300 WSM and pick up another .270 WSM this time in a Winchester Model 70.

I need something at least .277 caliber as I plan to hunt elk with this rifle too if I can and feel that to be a safe minimum even though many, myself and my Dad included have both used .24-.25 caliber rifles to shoot elk with great success in ideal conditions.

Was considering the old standard .270 WCF but I have a .30-06 that I dote on as a standard caliber so I want to go magnum here. Nope I have about decided for sure to get the .270 WSM and would take a great deal to dissuade.

Thanks for the advice fellas...

Congrats! I love the 270WSM. For what your prescribing I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

Sounds like solid moves on your part. We're all pulling for you to find precisely what you are looking for.

Well I have heard so many good things about the 270WSM in the Model 70 that I picked one for a decent price :wink:.
My cousin loves the big bores & two years ago he picked up a 270WSM in a Tikka, he has now got rid of all his big guns other that his 338win mag. He advised with his 270WSM & his 338Win mag he basically has it all covered.

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah I cant imagine there being much I can't due with a 140gr AB at 3100 fps. That bullet has a BC of nearly .500 according to Nosler #7.

I also toyed with the idea of a 7mm Rem Mag but I think the .270 WSM would shoot just as flat with the lighter bullets (or flatter) and my .30-06 hits just as hard with the heavier bullets (165-180 grains).

I have also toyed with the idea of a .264 Win Mag. They have one brand new Model 70 down at the Sportsmans Warehouse with a 26" barrel.

Decent price too... Hmm...

filmjunkie4ever":t51qj0iu said:
I have also toyed with the idea of a .264 Win Mag. They have one brand new Model 70 down at the Sportsmans Warehouse with a 26" barrel.

Decent price too... Hmm...

A great cartridge; and those Winchesters are just built for that cartridge.

Doc in your eyes every cartridge works well in a model 70 Winchester :lol:! It seems you have a lot of people on this forum that agree with you!!

Blessings,
Dan

Appropriate tag line: The Model 70--it makes any cartridge a winner!

I agree! Model 70's make almost everything palatable aka, the 30-06!

The 264, 270 and 7mm Rem Mag are all the same in my eyes if they are used with deer and elk in mind. I have all three and couldn't pick one and say it's better, but they all do about the same with more bullet weight as you go up in diameter. I really like my 270WSM but my second pick would be my 264. Both are a whole lot of fun.

Back