.270Weatherby VS .27 Nosler

Same here, if I was rebarreling my 270 WSM tomorrow it would be a 1-9 minimum and maybe faster. Twist helps well constructed Bullet do more damage in my opinion.

I agree if you are going with a 160gr bullet or over you'll need a faster twist. Especially if they are monos. I use 150s in my Weatherby and 140s in my WSM. I don't agree that a bullet completing a revolution in one or two inches less distance will increase its killing power. What length is the barrel? I would take the time and do some calculations on case capacity and see what the potential velocity gain could be. If it isn't 200fps or more faster with the bullet weights you are planning on using, any real world performance increase would be negligible. I don't know at what bullet weight the Weatherby case will "run out of gas" but if you don't get a projected 3400-3500fps with 150gr bullets in the Nosler case I wouldn't bother. But again...

If you just want something different, well that's different... (y)

Even the 150 Nosler LRAB reallly needs at least a 1-9 to get all the benefit from its higher BC. I can’t see any down side to a little more twist, especially with the host of excellent long range bullets coming out in 270.

I would also be into a 27 nosler just to get away from radius shoulders and belts. Nothing wrong with the weatherbys but I just never shined up to them.

The local sportsman's warehouse had 27 nosler dies!

One of the biggest reasons I am leery of trying the Nosler rounds is the price of brass here $100 per 25 before tax and shipping :shock: It is supposed to be really good stuff that lasts a long time though at least. If it was $100 for 50 then it would be a bit easier to go for a 26 or 27 Nosler, if the latter actually exists.

Silent Sam":366kxie6 said:
I agree if you are going with a 160gr bullet or over you'll need a faster twist. Especially if they are monos. I use 150s in my Weatherby and 140s in my WSM. I don't agree that a bullet completing a revolution in one or two inches less distance will increase its killing power. What length is the barrel? I would take the time and do some calculations on case capacity and see what the potential velocity gain could be. If it isn't 200fps or more faster with the bullet weights you are planning on using, any real world performance increase would be negligible. I don't know at what bullet weight the Weatherby case will "run out of gas" but if you don't get a projected 3400-3500fps with 150gr bullets in the Nosler case I wouldn't bother. But again...

If you just want something different, well that's different... (y)

It's sorta hard to explain but with GOOD, heavily constructed hunting Bullets the RPMs seem to slow down much more slowly than forward speed, so with heavily constructed Bullets driven fast you can see the propeller effect which seems to aid in expansion of heavier constructed bullets. I'd bet that's more the reason Barnes and similar monos thrive with lighter for caliber bullets. They attain higher RPMs which aids in getting them open. I can't wrap my mind around just sheer velocity being the case since a 308 might start a 180 at 2400 or 2500 and probably perform poorly with a Barnes but the same 180 from a fast 300 magnum will open up fine at the same 2400-2500, the only difference being RPMs.

All in all, I can't see additional twist being a bad thing with heavy hunting bullets.

And I love fast .277's! Just because they are a little different. I tend to like different...

I imagine centrifugal force definitely aids in expansion as it would pull the petals out. That's more guess than proven fact, but what is proven is that measured BC definitely is higher with faster twists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":3fu22tp8 said:
I imagine centrifugal force definitely aids in expansion as it would pull the petals out. That's more guess than proven fact, but what is proven is that measured BC definitely is higher with faster twists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True enough... I do like to see that propeller effect. With good hunting bullets it is amazing stuff.

I remain unconvinced on a faster twist of one or two inches per revolution increasing killing power. I am also unconvinced that expansion at a given impact velocity increases due to a higher muzzle velocity. That just doesn't pass the smell test. I doubt there is any significant reduction in rotational rate of a bullet at any range you can hit a target. If you say that measured BC is higher with a given bullet at the same velocity due to a faster twist I'll have to take your word on that. My question would be to what amount. If spinning it faster is all upside why not go even faster than you need to stabilize?
I can see it if you want to lose the belt and get away from Weatherby shoulders. And I appreciate just having something different, but based on the stated goals I just don't see it happening. He's already got the twist for the longer bullets. He will use more powder and his barrel won't last any longer with a bigger case.

I will settle with the .270Bee. Next time a rebarrel I´ll go for the .27Nosler(or a .28Nosler).

A rechamber job would cost 2 reamers + a few manhours(destock, debarrel + lathe) + I have to make up ammo for the gunsmith for testfeeding/ejection & testfire.

Thanks for the inputs. Both cartridges are top performers.

Back