.270Weatherby VS .27 Nosler

Rigbymauser

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
My Lilja barreled M70 is over-the-hill. Barrel no good any more. I have had a new barrel made up in .270weatherby again and now have second thoughts. The barrel is reamed already in .270wea and I am thinking to have it "cleaned out" with a .27Nosler reamer in that frail hope the .27Nosler case is bigger. As far what I can see the .27Nosler IS fatter, longer and have a longer body too.
I like the casedesign and I see a potential.
http://static.squarespace.com/static/51 ... _SAAMI.pdf
http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_dr ... Magnum.pdf

What do I hope to achieve with a change to a Nosler?...a better accuracy and longer barrel life if loaded to Weatherby velocity(bigger case = lower pressure= longer barrel life)...but also a max whack is needed. :mrgreen:

The new barrel has a 1:8,5 twist ratio.

You're going to have problems shooting a 6.5mm bullet out of a barrel already made for a .277 bullet. Also, when did Nosler come out with a 27 Nosler? I know of the 26 & 28 Nosler?

Rich,

It's a wildcat it's not commercialized yet. PTG has reamers from 26-36 cal based on the 26 case.

Jake

I think a 27 Nosler would be screaming and with tough Bullets that 1-8.5 should make them sing!

Not sure you'd gain a ton but the cool factor would be there!

...Nosler has more class than to bring out a "27"... :shock: :oops: :cry: :roll: :twisted: :mrgreen:

wildgene":30u7t7ev said:
...Nosler has more class than to bring out a "27"... :shock: :oops: :cry: :roll: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Watch your tongue! Man, no respect... Ha :lol:

Nosler is afraid to come out with the 27 as it would then show that they had made 2 mistakes before the perfect one :lol: (y).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1sdl7pdo said:
Nosler is afraid to come out with the 27 as it would then show that they had made 2 mistakes before the perfect one :lol: (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Dan speaks the truth!

I'm looking forward to a 35, a "new" version of the 35 newton and the first new 35 since the 356 winchester I think.

26NosFan":3qrdclt0 said:
I'm looking forward to a 35, a "new" version of the 35 newton and the first new 35 since the 356 winchester I think.

That would be cool. Love my 35 Newton...

My guess is that if a 35 Nosler is made it would fall somewhere between the Newton and the STA and maybe even do what the STA would in a shorter barrel. A 250gr at 2700+ or so? At some point I want to have a 3 caliber battery of .264,.358, and .375.

26NosFan":1bpntqo3 said:
My guess is that if a 35 Nosler is made it would fall somewhere between the Newton and the STA and maybe even do what the STA would in a shorter barrel. A 250gr at 2700+ or so? At some point I want to have a 3 caliber battery of .264,.358, and .375.

I'm running a 250 PT at 2820 outta my 21" Newton. Shoots like crazy. I bet a 35 Nosler would be a monster.

I think I would have to buy a 27 Nosler rifle if they made one. All the others would be basically replicating what my ultramags can do.

...sad, sooo sad...

142gr. 6.5 ABLR BC 0.719 SD 0.291
150gr. .270 ABLR BC 0.625 SD 0.279
168gr. 7mm ABLR BC 0.652 SD 0.298

...yup, dere's a reason dem durn .270's tend to yust bounce off deer...

:cry: :roll: :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Hate to be a contrarian... But based on your stated goals I just don't see it.
Better accuracy? - Weatherby's done right are plenty accurate.
Longer barrel life if loaded to Weatherby velocity? - I believe it is more a factor of how much powder you are burning in a given bore size than pressure. Whatever velocity gain is possible with that much bigger case it will take more powder to get to Weatherby velocity and more yet to realize any gain. Are you really going to stop at "Weatherby velocity" if the case is capable of more?
What bullets are you using that need a 8.5 twist? If that has any effect on "normal" weight (length) bullets it will be to reduce velocity.

If you just want something different, well that's different... (y)

I think the twist is a good idea. I went 1-8 on my lightweight 270. There are a lot of really good high BC 277 bullets out there now that really need spun fast to take advantage of those high BC. That 170 Berger would be a beast out of a large capacity case like the nosler..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back