.270Win & Nosler M48 Patriot

AusNos

Beginner
May 30, 2016
Hi again eveyone,

I have started reloading a M48 Patriot in .270Win.

At the moment I am working with these components;
Powder: H4831
Brass: Winchester
Primers: Federal Gold
Projectile: Barnes 150 TSX-FB & Hornady 150 SST

The rifle seems to handle pressure very well, a touch over book max is showing promissing signs with a .66in group (100yard) at 2900fps. If I cant improve that I will need to start over with different components.

I am interested to hear about what the M48 in .270 is capable of - if anyone has had sucess with premium heavy projectiles please let me know.

PS - Down here in Australia we have Sambar deer, they are a little on the large size (Im guessing like a small elk) so I need weight and velocity.

Before you ask why I diddnt get an '06 or 300 - I wanted the Nosler and had no choice in caliber.

Cheers....

Any .277 / 150gn going 2900 fps is a force to reckon with. No deer or elk going to walk away from that. I used a 270 with 140 & 150 bullets from Nosler for many deer and elk up to mature bulls. Most were one shot kills. Along as you hit them right.

A .66" group with a hunting bullet is pretty good with any decent rifle/scope. I have not shot the M48. I've handled a few but just not purchased one "yet".

More than sufficient. Just to be cantankerous, have you tried the AccuBond? Both my 06 and .338 Jarrett prefer the AccuBond over the barns bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image1464746681.963786.jpg
250 grain AccuBond through the upper leg bone, far shoulder blade, recovered under the hide. 425 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, yes I am happy with the velocity. It was the group size I was talking about.

I am hoping to shrink the group size a little bit. Its only initial load developement so I might settle on consitant half inch if I can get it there.

Accubonds...yes they have been a consideration but if the barnes dont do what I want I might try the Partition (or possibly the AccuBond) next.

I dont know why I bought those Hornady...just for kicks I suppose.

You are off to a great start. One of your fellow countrymen that posts here (username bobnob) has done a lot of work with the 270 Win which you can find in the bullet testing section. I believe he is a big fan of the 150 gr SST. If the 150 gr Barnes doesn't work out for you any of the 140 gr Partition and AccuBond, 150 and 160 gr Partition will work very well on animals that size. I just took out my yearly spring black bear for meat with the 160 gr Partition (Nosler cases, 60 gr IMR 7977, CCI 250 at about 2820 fps) and would have no qualms going after animals the size of moose and grizzly with them. The 150 gr version in reality would be just as good as the 160's.

Thanks Gerry,

I will look that up.

Problem here is Nosler components (in .270) can be hard to find. I will see how the last of the Barnes go and then consider getting some Noslers shipped to me.

Cheers & Thanks.

PS, I'm glad you offered some first hand experience about the 160 Partition because that is one I can get and have considered. Thanks again!

AusNos

Sounds like your load development is going well. Try playing with the seating depth to tighten up your group. As mentioned, the Nosler 150 gr PT or the 150 gr ABLR would be excellent choices as well.
I'm not sure what your laws and regulations are but if you can order from Nosler's SPS, you might be able to stock up.

JD338

AusNos,
You just hit on two of my favorite subjects with Nosler Rifles and the .270 Win, so I just couldn't pass this opportunity up! I do not have a Nosler rifle in .270 Win, but I do have one in 300 Win that will shoot the lights out. Congrats on your purchase. Nosler as a company is awesome, their rifles amazing, and their customer service and support are first rate and something you just don't see much anymore. Gerry has probably killed more in BC than the plague and I think his advice is spot on. The 150/160 Nosler Partitions in .270 are hard to beat, but my all time favorite is the 140 AccuBond. It has a great BC (resists wind and drop), sweet SD (for penetration), and at 140 grains, you can push it pretty quick. That whole proprietary bonding process and tapered bullet jacket really make the AccuBond shine. The elk that I've killed with it would probably tell you the same thing, if they could. To my way of thinking that combo is the perfect blend of velocity, recoil, and on-game performance.

Happy Hunting,

Joe

I like the Sierra 150 gr. Game King in my .270. Even took it on an elk hunt but ended up shooting my elk with something else due to the reticle in the scope disappearing. That same hunt my partner shot his elk at roughly 100 yards broadside with that same bullet in a .270 WSM. About a one inch hole going in and IIRC a 3.5 to 4" hole on exit. I did not get to see the results on his next year's hunt as I became ill and had to leave early He got his elk with that same bullet in a standard .270 rifle.
When I tried that same load I had for the Sierra bullet switching to the Nosler Partition, group size was unchanged as was average velocity. I could mix and match the Sierra and Nosler and use either load. Mix and match group was only very slightly larger. I would not worry which was in my rifle come another hunt.
Paul B.

EOD Diver":3nad8t15 said:
AusNos,
You just hit on two of my favorite subjects with Nosler Rifles and the .270 Win, so I just couldn't pass this opportunity up! I do not have a Nosler rifle in .270 Win, but I do have one in 300 Win that will shoot the lights out. Congrats on your purchase. Nosler as a company is awesome, their rifles amazing, and their customer service and support are first rate and something you just don't see much anymore. Gerry has probably killed more in BC than the plague and I think his advice is spot on. The 150/160 Nosler Partitions in .270 are hard to beat, but my all time favorite is the 140 AccuBond. It has a great BC (resists wind and drop), sweet SD (for penetration), and at 140 grains, you can push it pretty quick. That whole proprietary bonding process and tapered bullet jacket really make the AccuBond shine. The elk that I've killed with it would probably tell you the same thing, if they could. To my way of thinking that combo is the perfect blend of velocity, recoil, and on-game performance.

Happy Hunting,

Joe

I'm with Joe and Gerry here. Love the AccuBond and any of the Partitions in my 270 WSM. The 140 AB will kill big elk..

If I was to run Barnes I'd likely back down to 130 grain Tipped TSX's in order to keep speeds high and get it expanded. It'll penetrate well. My good buddy has been killing a bunch of NM Elk and deer with the 130 TTSX and the couple recovered bullets have all looked excellent.

Overall though I'm a huge fan of the 150 Partition but honestly any of them are going to put the pain deer/elk sized animals. Good luck, sounds like an excellent rifle.

Gday AusNos, you've discovered the best shooting forum on the planet!

I've found that the Speer 150g Hot Cor is just about the best low cost, all round, deep penetrating and wide expanding bullet you can get for the 270. Shot a couple of pigs last week with them actually. Great for a cup and core bullet.

I love the 150g SST for pigs. Knocks the snot out of them. Shoots flat too. It is softer than the Hot Cor.

For sambar, I would go a 150-160g Partition, though a 130 NPT would probably do the job fine.

A great all round bullet if you wanted lower recoil and cheaper bullets, is undoubtedly the 130g Interlock. The 130 NBT is great too but as you know we pay through the nose for those here.

So many good options for the 270. You're on the money with the H2213SC but I've done well with AR2209 and R17 as well.

Welcome.

Bob

Hey I've been waiting for you to show up.

I haven't managed to find a sweet spot using the 2213sc (with 150Barnes or the 150SST). I used to load for a 243 and have some left over 2209 that I might try instead.

I wanted RL17 but go find the stuff. Not heaps of choice for projies locally either...I need to buy em from interstate.

I might just start from scratch with Partitions.

I was chasing velocity and had my fingers crossed that I would find a sweet spot way up there.

I think though clover leave groups are more important than speed now - Sambar are hard to put down so I would probably opt to head shoot given the chance.

Speaking strictly for Sambar - Do you have an opinion on the AccuBond. To my mind I imagine its like a bonded SST?

I used some of the 140 Accubonds but only on pigs. For that they were very good but a pig is not a sambar, and the thick scrub that the sambar inhabit makes as you say, quick put downs desirable.

The AccuBond will definitely stay together better than an SST of any type. I would stay away from the 130g version of the SST for all game unless you have the chance to place your shot really well. They are much softer than the 150g version. Just my experience.

I've not shot any sambar. I have however shot feral horses and I can tell you the 160g NPT loaded to around 2800fps is great medicine for that game. A 550kg horse is no pushover.

Aus just another thought on the AccuBond; they are a great bullet, accurate and they'll hold together. However...

In my experience they don't necessarily penetrate any further than a lot of standard cup and core bullets. They are after all, still a cup and core design.

I really think with your sambar you want lots of penetration first with decent expansion. The NPT is as good a design yet devised for this purpose. The front core expands wide and causes great trauma, but the rear stays intact like a solid and drives on through.

Go for the NPT and use the heaviest ones you can find. If you get stuck I can offload some your way.

Failing that, I am sure the X Bullet is up to it as well. I can't impart too much experience there.

Good work on procuring the M48. Pics required!!!

Well here are some pics. I'm a sh!t photographer. It looks like any other Patriot. I hope I upload them right.

I think your on the money with the Partitions. I have seen some 160's for sale so I reckon I can get them easily enough.

What are you propelling those Partitions with?

I havent seen a bang flop Sambar yet, even with a 300 win mag they still trot a hundred meters or so. So whatever I go with needs to be accurate enough for me to neck or head shoot if I can and beefy enough for a shoulder shot if I dont have time.

I will be visiting a gun smith for another reason so I will get him to scope the bore and suss out the factory glass bedding just to eliminate variables.

IMG_3029.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

...oh and this is what just one sambar leg looks like. mmmmm

Attachments

• IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,683
Good pics mate. Hoping to get out and knock a red over for the freezer next week.

AR2213SC works for me with the 160 grainers. My 270 digests a lot of powder compared to some, a slightly oversized chamber I believe. If you have a chrony, work up half a grain at a time from 54g until you hit 2800fps, assuming a 24 inch bbl.

Because of the profile of the 160 you should be able to get it close to the lands which helps IME.

Let us know how you go.

That rifle looks great. That's a really hard combo to beat. The 270 Win with good bullets will hammer animals. It's not a 338 or 35 Whelen but they'll die all the same. Good luck. I'm betting it won't take long to get an excellent load for your uses.

Back