.270Win & Nosler M48 Patriot

Thanks guys.

I think I give the 160 part's a go soon. I have a few more barnes to work with if they do get put to huntin use.

Life is in the way of getting this fun stuff done so hopefully I can get back onto it soon.

Isnt it funny bob. Victorians will jump at the chance for a red deer and you northern dudes will jump at the chance for our sambar. Always a case of what you cant have.

Good luck on the reds.

I have used Barns X 140 grains on scandinavian moos.
Loaded 1.3mm from the lands with Norma MRP (RL22) gave
948m/s in a 700 Sendero 26" and 918 in my Lakelander 389
58cm.

The 130 grains TSX/TTSX have taken over as hunting bullet on moos.
Still 1.3mm from the lands but loaded with N-560 (61grains)
V0=952 in the Lakelander, barrel 58cm
It's performance is excellent.
250m
DSC00234 by -killertriz-

Hey Sender thanks for the info on the lighter barnes. I have been wondering whether I try the lighter projectile.

The big advantage of the monolithic bullets is that you can use lighter bullets and still get good terminal performance due to the ability to increase the velocity.

I also just purchased a M48 Patriot in 270 Win. I have had it about a month now with very little time to fine tune a load for it. I hunt whitetail deer here in Louisiana and I settled on 130 gr Accubonds with 54.5 grs. of IMR 4350 3.330 oal 2950 fps. sub MOA groups. I just wanted a hunting rifle that would be close to my bench rifles in group performance. My goal will be to use the new ABLR in 150 grain. This rifle seems to be very well built I was getting .750 groups at the end of the barrel break in using imr4064 and 130 gr hornady sst bullets. So far so good.

The wife dumped Cow elk at 378 on the range finder last Wednesday night with a 130g NPT, 59g of H4831sc a Federal LR mag match primer and Remington brass. It dropped stood back up and was then shot again threw the lungs and then expired, and yes both bullets went threw the lungs and exited. The 270 can do it at manageable ranges on big critters I would say 400 yards or less for elk sized critters.

fwood":iiuzv6ld said:
The wife dumped Cow elk at 378 on the range finder last Wednesday night with a 130g NPT, 59g of H4831sc a Federal LR mag match primer and Remington brass. It dropped stood back up and was then shot again threw the lungs and then expired, and yes both bullets went threw the lungs and exited. The 270 can do it at manageable ranges on big critters I would say 400 yards or less for elk sized critters.

Very nice. Tough to beat a 270 with 130 Partitions. Sounds like it did the trick. Congrats.

Wow that s just awesome. Congrats to her and thank you for the load info. I it my understanding that powder will increase after the first of the year. I have IMR 4350,H4831sc and R22 coming today. Enough to last a while.

I have been shooting this load in the 270 win for about 20 years. It is a Remington 700 BDL stainless synthetic, pre SPS, it has been an incredible shooter. I have a 300win of the same generation and it is an incredible shooter as well. I see no reason that a 270 win cant be a 700-800 yard gun on deer sized game with the new bullets available. I have not run them that far yet, but will get to it next year. I know BC is a big factor but the 270 with a 140 or 150 gr. bullet at 2900-3000 fps with a high bc should out perform a 260 the limit is case capacity of the cartridge. I am not pretending that it is a 1200 yard sniper rifle however I am not asking it to be one.

Fwood
Jon

fwood":3tnps4um said:
I have been shooting this load in the 270 win for about 20 years. It is a Remington 700 BDL stainless synthetic, pre SPS, it has been an incredible shooter. I have a 300win of the same generation and it is an incredible shooter as well. I see no reason that a 270 win cant be a 700-800 yard gun on deer sized game with the new bullets available. I have not run them that far yet, but will get to it next year. I know BC is a big factor but the 270 with a 140 or 150 gr. bullet at 2900-3000 fps with a high bc should out perform a 260 the limit is case capacity of the cartridge. I am not pretending that it is a 1200 yard sniper rifle however I am not asking it to be one.

Fwood
Jon

Plenty of good bullets out there for the 270 to stretch its legs some. I'd take a good 270 over a 260 any day of the week for a pure BG hunting cartridge. With sleek bullets like the 150 BT, 140 AB, 150 ABLR and some of the others now available I think the 270's only getting better.

I have loaded for the 270win for close to 45 years and up to Nosler bringing out the AccuBond I fed them 130gr. Partitions almost exclusively. I use IMR4350 in my rifle and have been fortunate enough to have a moa of .50" I have successfully harvested every big animal that I am able to shoot here in Saskatchewan from Antelope to a 5pt. Bull Elk.
I believe with either the Partition or the AccuBond you will have no problem with anchoring a Sambar (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back