270WSM 150gr Ballistic Tip Load Recommendation

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I would like to start loading for the 270WSM and the 150gr Ballistic Tip. I have used Magpro for 130's and have excellent speed and accuracy. I have 500 BT's so I would like to use those as my all around load for the 270WSM. I would like a full power load close to 3100FPS. Are there any other powders I should look at besides MagPro that you all have experience with? I have R19, R22 and some others. I would also like to look at R17. Thanks for the assistance. Scotty

What kind of speeds were you getting with 150's with those powders? Trying to minimize the amount of powders I have to buy in order to get nearer to my goals of 3100+. Trying to get a sizzler and I think the 150gr BT in the 270WSM would be a long range deer killer. Scotty

beretzs":2i09xraj said:
What kind of speeds were you getting with 150's with those powders? Trying to minimize the amount of powders I have to buy in order to get nearer to my goals of 3100+. Trying to get a sizzler and I think the 150gr BT in the 270WSM would be a long range deer killer. Scotty

Can't tell you what kind of speeds as I don't load any kind of BT in my 270WSM only the 130ET and 140AB. I was merely looking in Nosler's and Hodgdon's manuals.

Rgr, thanks Rich. I have a ton of the BT's and would like to build this one from the group up as a longer range practice and deer load. I want to wring out the WSM for all I can, and Dr Mike has recommended Retumbo and it seems that should work well also. Thanks. Scotty

beretzs":2h5yqqk0 said:
Rgr, thanks Rich. I have a ton of the BT's and would like to build this one from the group up as a longer range practice and deer load. I want to wring out the WSM for all I can, and Dr Mike has recommended Retumbo and it seems that should work well also. Thanks. Scotty

I would agree with giving Retumbo a try for an initial powder. Good luck and keep us posted on your results. I would like to quote JD338's signature line of, "Speed is nice, but accuracy kills". Just a thought for you to remember.

I am with you but JD also mentioned, if you have a magnum, no sense in loading it to regular 270 speeds. Nah, I am with you Rich. I want an accurate load, but I also want the rifle and cartridge to live up to their potential. It doesn't seem like any big trick to get it to 3100. I will keep you in the loop on this. I might start messing around with it this week. Scotty

They have a max of 60gr/R-17 @ 3041fps with 150gr bullets for the 270WSM. I worked up some loads 59gr/R-19 with 150gr Partition @ 3066fps,150gr Hornady @ 3058fps,150gr Sierra @ 3071fps a max of 60gr would give me over 3100fps. I've shot alittle Mag-Pro,H-1000,IMR-4350, R-22 didn't work in my rifle.

They list 63gr to 70gr using mag-Pro with 150gr bullets at @3136fps at 70gr with 150gr Sierra I got 3080fps.

I finally settled on 61gr/R-17 using Fed 215 primer with 140gr TSX haven't chrono that load yet.

I don't like a compressed load and R-17 gives me the load density I like and it giving me some pretty nice groups. Well good luck

Hi

I have been testing 150sst in my sako wsm.

i have had great accuracy with 65.5-66.5gr of RL22. Groups are 1/2" average @100yrds

velocity is around the 3100fps.

The biggest thing for accuracy is seating depth. the best accuracy is around the sammi 2.860" anything longer noticebly opened the groups.

That's great info. I might try putting some stuff together tonight and hopefully I can get to the range this weekend. Sounds like there are lots of options and I can get where I want to be pretty easily. Scotty

I have owned and tested many 270WSM's and have found that the velocity advantage actually lies with the 140grn bullets. Since you have so many 150grn NBT's around, I understand not letting them sit there in the box. Magpro is a great powder for the 270WSM and is the first one I recommend. Retumbo has shown me the most consistency with 150grn bullets. It will be a compressed load, so don't worry about the crunching noise when you seat the bullet. My best load was 69.3gr of Retumbo with either the 150 NBT or Sierra GK. I had no issues all the way to 70.0grn, but the 69.3grn load was so low in ES that I had to keep it. Velocity of the Retumbo load was just over 3000fps while with Magpro I was consitently at or over 3100fps with good accuracy, but not anything like the Retumbo loads.

That's great info. I appreciate it. This is a great thread. Tons of real experience with it. I know 150's probably aren't exactly optimum but if they can get over 3000+ that will be what I am looking for and be an excellent deer or bear in a pinch. Scotty

I think I am going to try some RL22 tonight and see how they do. If I could get something near what I am looking for with R22 that would be great since it works so well in my 300 and 7mm Mags. After that I will try some more MagPro and Retumbo. Keep the recipes coming. Great info. Scotty

Cant help you to much on load recipes, but your on the right track with wanting to use the 150g nbt for deer and bear out to longish ranges. I would rather them then the 140g nbt or ab anyday. Just my preference. A 150g NBT at 3100fps with almost a .5 BC is a great LR deer and black bear load.

Thanks man, I was kind of thinking it would do okay. It has good BC and SD numbers and I can't see it being not enough for even elk. I am going to hit the bench tonight to try and load some 150's over RL22. Once I get a chance to shoot them, I will let you know what I came up with. If they aren't doing it, I will move on to another powder and see whats does it. Scotty

FYI, I am working with 150g NBT's and RL-22 right now in a buddy's 270 Winchester. He is using them for deer and elk, black bear and I recomended them instead of the 130g NBT's he was using before. He had good luck with the 130g nbt on 2 cow elk and several deer, but I told him better safe then sorry and the 150g nbt will give a little extra insurance and be a lot better bullet for elk and bear and still knock the snot out of the deer. Plus there better for shots past 400 yards which he is wanting to get into.

57.5g RL-22 is giving him 2950-3000fps from his 22" bbl and little over 1" groups at 100 yards. I need to tinker with seating depth as there doing the classic 2 in 1 out, so after a few more loads with different seating depths, he should be good to go.

I use to shoot the same 57.5g RL-22 w/150g SBT when I had my 270 and it shot right at 3K as well and at 1/2 MOA. It was a nice 800 yard load.

IMO, for a 270 and doing any kind of longish shooting, the 150g bullet is the only choice, plus it doubles up for elk very easily.

Thanks for the comparison. I loaded 5 of 59.5, 5 of 60.5 and 5 of 61.5 last night and seated them all to 2.860. The max in the Nosler book was 60gr and a few others listed 60.5. Some people said they were going up to 66. I am going to chrono what I have right now and see what I get. R25 looks kinda promising in the WSM also. Hopefully I get a chance this weekend to trý them out. I don't really see any issues with the 150gr BT. They are pretty sleek and should do great for what I am looking for. I am kinda excited to see how they shoot. Traditionally as my loads get near max they are more accurate. Thanks for all the help with the RM2506 and the rest of you all. Scotty

The 140 AB and the 150 BT have the same BC, both are .496. If it were me I would go with the 140 AB just because I can get more speed out of it. Bts will work, but I don't like the yellow tip :lol:

Well I guess I lucked out cause the seconds I received from Bivwak are grey tipped so don't have to worry about the yellow. I am with you though JMAD, if I could have gotten ABonds seconds for the same money I would have. Maybe next time. For now the BT's will work for my main purpose of slaying deer. Scotty

My two 270WSM's shoot under 0.4" groups with Retumbo and 140gr Accubonds. Had other powders to try...WS 780, H1000, 7828SSC but love what I'm getting right now.

IMO the Accubonds are a superior bullet to the BST's for big game. I leave the BST's for coyotes / wolves in my other smaller calibers.

Would use a 95-100gr Accubonds (if available) in my 243 for deer when my boys are a bit older.

Back