270wsm Or 7mm

Co243Win

Beginner
Sep 28, 2009
Ok thanks for the thoughts on the 25-06. I am looking into the theses calibers know. Any thoughts on them .I have heard good and bad about both. And your thoughts are......

7mm what? 7mm WSM? 7mm Remington Magnum? 7 X 57? I will assume you are weighing the 270 WSM and the 7mm RM. What do you intend to hunt with the rifle? Again, I assume you are considering the same range of game. The ready availability of 7mm RM brass and the broader selection of bullets make the 7mm RM a somewhat more attractive option. It has enough horsepower to handle most any game in North America, with the possible exception of the great bears. However, with the right bullet selection, the 270 WSM will work just fine for the range of game your previously indicated you intend to hunt. These are two great cartridges for most of the hunting we will ever do in North America.

Yes i was talking about the 7mm rem. I want to hunt elk and deer . I have not heard much on the 7mm wsm

The 7mm WSM is one of my favourite cartridges. However, brass is sometimes hard to get and loaded ammunition can be non-existent. It is a ballistic twin to the 7mm RM. Either the 270 WSM or the 7mm RM will work fine for the game you wish to hunt. It really comes down to what rifle you choose (if it is a factory build) and whether you favour the 270 calibre or the 284 calibre.

Both are great rounds. The 7mm has a better offering of bullets than the 270 but either will work for what you are wanting. Its more of a personal preference.

JD338

Personally, and as you see from the posts, these are all personal choices and favorites, but I really like the .280 Remington. In a 24" barrel it is not that much behind the 7mm Remington as far as oomph and it's just a great caliber. They don't beat you to death (kick) and are usually very accurate. A good bullet from 140-160 grs. in that caliber would work for most of North America's game as well. It all comes down to you and what you will think will work for you. The guys prior to my post all make good points, but it just comes down to choices and what is good for you.

You might consider the .300 WSM as well. I feel that it's a well balanced cartridge and seems to also be very accurate. I load for a friend and he's had great luck with it. In fact my 14 year old son has decided that is what his big gun should be in and he has narrowed it down to a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 300 WSM. He has shot several rifles in this caliber and the recoil has not effected him in the least. It is only slightly more than my 30-06. He's saving his money as I just checked the price on one a few days ago and it was just shy of $900.00.

243 You made this one easy for me, here is my take on it from my last post!!!!!
There are a lot of excellent medium game (elk) calibers out there, I personnaly consider the 06 class of cartridges at the minimum, with some of the better being the mediums like the 338/06, the 35 Whelen (although range is limited). The best is at least a full length 7mm caliber magnum or better. I like any thing that has a 300 associated with it, I know the .388's are stellar preformers, the 8mm and a host of others in those classifications. I know I am leaviing out some ones favorite but you are getting my point.

The 270 WSM is great for deer, but it is not my first choice for elk. The 270's and 7mm's will work but be aware of their limitations for the bigger game. For elk I'm with the 'bigger is better' school of thought, and plan for worst case scenario. Like the car guys say "there is no replacement for sheer displacement" (in my case 338 RUM)

+1 on what Elkman said

2shaky":23fsaoye said:
The 270 WSM is great for deer, but it is not my first choice for elk. The 270's and 7mm's will work but be aware of their limitations for the bigger game. For elk I'm with the 'bigger is better' school of thought, and plan for worst case scenario. Like the car guys say "there is no replacement for sheer displacement" (in my case 338 RUM)

+1 on what Elkman said

Well said fellas.
I am a 338 RUM kind of guy. :wink:

JD338

I've shot elk with a 270 win (1), 7mmSTW(1), 338 WM (4), and a 375 R (2). They all ended up in the freezer. A few required more than one shot but that was the guy pulling the trigger. The difference between the one that was shot twice with the 270 loaded with 150 PT golds and the one shot twice with the 375 R and 260 AB is very hard to ignore. The one shot with the 270 I had no clue I even hit her (a small calf @ 125 yrds) with the first shot. I found the bullet when I was skinning it out. The one shot with the 375R and the 260 AB (a 3x4 bull @ 240yrds) had a really loud WOMP sound, even at twice the distance of the one shot with the 270. That bull also staggered a few yards, humped up, and put his head down. He was pretty much dead on his feet. Put one more in him to ground him for good even though it wasn't needed. The 338WM is by far my favorite elk gun though.

I would shoot the biggest gun that you can handle. A 7mm Rem. is a hell of a round loaded with a 160 AB.

Out of your choices, the 7RM gets the nod. I like the 270WSM alot, but the 7RM with 160 or 175gr PT's would be a better elk rifle. I can get 3100 out of the 270WSM with 150gr PT's. The 7RM betters that with heavier bullets. Just can't argue with it while elk is in the picture. Still, both are great rounds. I would have a hard time picking one over another. Scotty

My personal preference is for the .270WSM. I can easily tolerate its' recoil with 150 gr Nosler Partitions, I believe it kicks a little less than the full length 7mm Rem Mag. I also hate the belt on the Remington Magnum case. I also prefer short action rifles. I haven't had the opportunity to take an elk yet, but hope to in the next year or two. Then I will just have to choose between the 140 gr AccuBond (which my rifle loves) or the 150 gr Partition (which seems to be the universal suggested .277 bullet for elk)

I took one elk with the 140gr AccuBond, and from now on, if elk are in the same area, and I have a tag, I will pack the 150gr PT at 3100+ out of my 270WSM. I like Accubonds alot, but I still think PT's are the penetrators and that means alot on the bigguns. Scotty

My only complaint with the 270 is the lack of bullet weights for different game.

Being a handloader my choice would be something in the .284 caliber.
I've been shooting a 280 Remington for years now and it's a very capable cartridge.
That being said I have aquired two 7 Rem mags this year and they are very impressive to say the least.

A 160 AB at 3000 fps is plenty of medecine for deer and elk.
I'm getting 3170 fps out of a Savage with a 24 inch barrel with a 160 AB.

7mm and I do like the 270. But the 7 has better bullet selection.

Back