270wsm

300mag, welcome to the forums. I shoot alot of 270WSM but use RL22, Magpro and 7828 with 150 BTs. Getting 3125 out of them and they are very accurate. I'm sure IMR4831 would work just as well for ya. What rifle are you shooting? Scotty

Nice to meet you Scotty, the 270wsm is in a tikka 3 lite, been runnin 60gr of RL 19 . Would you happen to know a starting load ? little new to reloading and dont really want to max out pressure's. Thank's

300mag,

Welcome aboard. Posting during the Christmas period almost guarantees that you will be overlooked. It isn't on purpose, however. I'm shooting 130 grain E-Tips in my 270 WSM, charged with RL17. So far, that has taken everything I've asked it to take, and done so with aplomb.

Nosler 6th lists a number of excellent loads with the 150 grain offerings in bullets. IMR4831 is not one of the powders listed, however. QuickLoad projects a maximum charge of 60 grains of IMR4831, providing a projected velocity of 3003 fps from a 24 inch tube. You will want to drop back ten percent and work up in reasonable increments to ensure that pressure problems do not occur.

The Tikka T3 is a great rifle, and the 270 WSM is a fine cartridge for most of the game in North America. Where do you primarily hunt? What's the game you usually go after?

300mag":3oc51p3k said:
Nice to meet you Scotty, the 270wsm is in a tikka 3 lite, been runnin 60gr of RL 19 . Would you happen to know a starting load ? little new to reloading and dont really want to max out pressure's. Thank's

I haven't worked with RL19 at all in the 270WSM. I have been using Magpro, RL22, and IMR7828. Those three are very good in my 270WSM with 150's. I get excellent speed out of RL22 and the accuracy is very good as well.

For a starting load of RL19, I would look at 5-10% below your max and start from there. Alliant's data seems a little weak to me, but again, different rifles and components, net different things. It shouldn't be a big trick to get into the 3000's with any of the 150's with RL19, RL22 or IMR7828. Scotty

300mag":zssy5v3f said:

Another question as well. Are you using a chrono? Just wondering as it is very helpful for this load work up stuff. Seen alot of data as of late that was over 200FPS off from book data. Not really anyones fault, but it is very hard to really get a good load unless you know where your at. Scotty

Thanks for the info guy's, yes i work work with a chrony. Been getting right around 3050 with the reloader & 3/4 in grouping @ 100yd's. Picked up the tikka thought that it might make a good
sheep/ mule deer gun.

You sound like your well on your way! That would make an excellent sheep load. Great shooting. Scotty

Consequently, a proper starting load with RL19 would be 56.5. That is taken from the Nosler 6th Edition Guide. You will find a good guide/manual presenting pressure tested loads is invaluable.

Happy New Year!!
wELCOME.

My two Tikka T3 LS 270WSM love 140gr Accubonds with Retumbo.... 69.0 & 71.0C respectfully.
3260-3300ft/s, 5 shot groups under 0.5" groups. :mrgreen:

These Tikkas SHOOT!!!
Love the caliber!!!

Never tried Retumbo in the 270WSM, but it looks pretty good. Might have to pass that onto Jake, as I think he is still hunting for a 270WSM load using the 140 AB.

I'm all over it Scotty! Thanks for thinking of me though. ATM bought me a pound of Retumbo for Christmas. It came at the expence of an overbore joke, but hey, I'll take it. I'll keep you posted on what I find out with it here this weekend maybe.

Cool, I was going to text you when I saw this but got busy at the commissary doing our grocery shopping. Hope it works, I can't see why it wouldn't. Seems like a good one. Retumbo works pretty well in the 7WSM with 175's.

Back