28 Nosler Model 70

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I have been given the complete pleasure of setting up my cousins son's rifle. It is going to be his graduation present this year and with all of the craziness going around, I am hoping it'll be a huge hit to the lad. He kinda gets jipped out of a graduation so hopefully the rifle and set up will put a "grin on his chin" as the good Doc says.

I decided to give 175 Partitions a shot in the old girl. I figured if I can sort out a good load for him, he will have something that'll work for everything, anywhere in the world he wants to go. I took a peak at Nosler's data and man, that big 28 is a ripper with 175's. I had Retumbo, RL33, and some others, but kinda banked on H1000 since it is still a bit available, looked like it'll make plenty of good speed and we all know H1000 usually shoots and is consistent, day in and day out.

I did some measurements with the 175 Partition and came up with 3.378" COAL just on the lands, so that's where I started.

I annealed up all of the cases I had since I didn't know how many times they'd been fired before I got them.

So I used Nosler's data to get a baseline and starting charge.

Worked out pretty decent actually. Seems like this rifle runs a bit faster than what the data predicted as I came out to about 3100'ish with 2 grains less powder.. I'll take it. Especially when I can utilize a node that wide.

So, next was to put the big devil on paper and see what shook out.

First group outta the gun

Second group

Then I proceeded to dial the scope up a few .1's and shot the last two groups.

So, I believe I am mighty close. I am going to shorten the COAL just a scosh and see if I can tighten it up a bit.

Here are some pics of the rifle.

Very nice... Kevin is rechambering my M70 7 Mag to 28 Nosler as well. Which profile barrel did you go with?

wayno945":q2v224ks said:
Very nice... Kevin is rechambering my M70 7 Mag to 28 Nosler as well. Which profile barrel did you go with?

I believe it is a 3 Bartlein with deep flutes on it.

That's a really nice gun and it's pretty tough to beat a 175 PT going that fast for pretty much anything a guy would want to hunt! Looks like that load it close to being finished.

hunter24605":2bhuw7y0 said:
Sweet! A freight train riding on a laser beam!
Absolutely! Wow that is smoking along.
Just for a reference Scotty on the cartridge length and yes it's apples to oranges but with the 28 being a standard long action round I thought I would just put it out there. On my Ruger 1B in 30-06 with the following bullets this is what my OAL is.

165 gr. Partition - 3.375

165 gr. AccuBond - 3.410

Can't imagine that he'll be anything less than pleased. I know you will do a great job of getting it ready. The 175 will work just fine.

I believe I got this one sorted out.. At least as much as I can stand monkeying around with it.

and finally, about .020" off it is shooting pretty decently.

Dropped it a .1 mil and laid three more of the same

I also loaded up a couple 175 grain ELD X's with the same charge as the Partitions, but seated them right at the lands.

I believe I am leaving well enough alone. I'll anneal and reload his cases, his zero is set and I let him wear out his own barrel!

Thanks for looking fellas!

That definitely appears to be a fine load, Scott. Are those at 200 Yards?

Man, don't put the pressure on me like that Mike..

No, all at 100 yards.. :mrgreen:

"That'll do sir, that'll do!"

I know my 7MM STW shoots the Federal Premium 160 gr AccuBond ammunition out of its' 24" barrel at 3222 fps and will produce 3 shot groups of 1/2" @ 100 yards, and 1" @ 300 yards, and 3" @ 400 yards (when I am doing my part) on various days at the range. Their older load with the 160 gr SGK would also provide the same velocity in my rifle, and would produce groups of 1" @ 100 yards and 3" @ 400 yards.
In the 22 years I have had the rifle, it has accounted for lots of big game, and I have never been wanting for more performance, whether it be from accuracy, fairly mild recoil from my rifle (7 lbs bare plus Leupold one piece rings/bases and a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 B&C scope at 16 oz), or quick, clean harvests on game (antelope, whitetail and mule deer, caribou, moose, elk, bighorn and stone's sheep or mountain goat).

I am quite confident that if the lad does his part, he should be quite successful in the field with it and should accumulate lots of quality table fare and fond memories of hunting with a rifle gifted to him.
Hope he also gets to share many of those adventures with family and friends!
Way to go Cuz!

Thanks Gil, appreciate it.

The rifle is now with his Dad and hopefully we can get together to give it to him. Damned virus makes all this stuff hard! HA!

Good work at the loading bench & shooting bench Scotty.

He should enjoy the heck out of that.

Guy

Back