.28 Nosler...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Interesting. Anyone have the info on this one ?

I've always liked the faster-stepping 7mm's...

Guy

Fotis posted up some info about it Guy. Pretty sure, by the sounds of it, it's a necked up 26 Nosler.

I'm kinda confused on this one. How is this different or better than the 7mm RUM? Not knocking Nosler, but the price of brass for these cartridges is outrageous. $60 something for 25?!

desertcj":2y35cpzm said:
I'm kinda confused on this one. How is this different or better than the 7mm RUM? Not knocking Nosler, but the price of brass for these cartridges is outrageous. $60 something for 25?!
Less powder, less barrel wear, less recoil, less weight....same ballistics.

If they'd had it last June I would have ordered one....but I'm not changing now.

Ballistically, it will be similar. It fits in a standard action, however, which is desirable for many who are building a rifle. This means it doesn't have to be built on a dedicated magnum action.

Now that is a plus! So I can use it in a standard magnum Savage action? I assume I could also use 7mm RUM brass to form cases instead of paying $2.50 a case?

The 28 nosler will fit in their 300 WIN MAG max length Model 48. Additionally the 28 will replicate 7mm rum performance from the same length barrels. So it is more efficient.

Additionally if anyone has a 7mm rem mag, 338 win mag, 458 mag etc it can be re-barreled easily. IE anyone with a Ruger 77 can have a 26 28 or 30 nosler but they can not have a 7mm or 300 rum

Nice! My 7mag may be getting a new barrel in the future. Hard to turn away from such a work horse though.

desertcj":2cxs36b7 said:
Nice! My 7mag may be getting a new barrel in the future. Hard to turn away from such a work horse though.

Or......... Just a rechamber. :grin:

Scott

Well It wont kill anything "deader" than the 'ole 7 Mag but it is certainly a hammer!

Nosler® Trophy Grade™ Ammunition – 160gr AccuBond® 3250 fps 3300fps
Nosler® Trophy Grade™ LR Ammunition – 175gr AccuBond® LR 3075 fps 3125fps
The 28 Nosler® shares the same parent case as the 26 Nosler® as well as the C.O.A.L. of 3.340” allowing this cartridge to be operated in a standard length action for lighter weight and shorter bolt throw when compared to magnum length actions.

Some body will LIKE! CL

The 28 Nosler is proof you can neck down a big case, put a smaller bullet on top and call it new. The 28 Nosler is going to be soon joining the 7mm STW and 7mm RUM: big case, high velocities, hard to get components for, and not so popular.
Nosler's data for the 26 Nosler were off. Why should we believe the performance of the 28 Nosler isn't fudged a bit like the 26 was. If anyone wants to buy a 28 Nosler, I won't try to talk them out of it.

Regardless, it sounds like the most powerful 7mm that will fit in a standard action. 7mm STW and 7mm RUM won't fit in my Savage 7mm rem mag.

Horsethief":1k1fe9wt said:
The 28 Nosler is proof you can neck down a big case, put a smaller bullet on top and call it new. The 28 Nosler is going to be soon joining the 7mm STW and 7mm RUM: big case, high velocities, hard to get components for, and not so popular.
Nosler's data for the 26 Nosler were off. Why should we believe the performance of the 28 Nosler isn't fudged a bit like the 26 was. If anyone wants to buy a 28 Nosler, I won't try to talk them out of it.

John Barness got 3440 from the 129 ABLR, when he reviewed the rifle, so where is the fudging?

desertcj":17wg5h8s said:
Regardless, it sounds like the most powerful 7mm that will fit in a standard action. 7mm STW and 7mm RUM won't fit in my Savage 7mm rem mag.
BINGO! That was the mission. 8)

desertcj":2wpmm3by said:

Well, the standard Rem 700 action length takes the 7mm STW, and the Rem Ultra Mag cartridges just fine... Food for thought.

I do like these new "Nosler" cartridges. They have the characteristics of many of the more modern case designs. No belt. Straight, "blown out" case walls and a sharp shoulder for increased case capacity within their specified length. Good stuff, and very similar to the Winchester Short Mag cases and the Rem Ultra Mag cases.

If I wasn't already super-happy with my chosen hunting rifles and cartridges, I'd likely give one a try.

Fotis - 3440 fps with a 129 gr 6.5mm hunting bullet is SMOKIN! Wow, bet that rascal is a flat shooter...

Regards, Guy

Yes, but I don't have a rem 700 in 7mm magnum....I have a Savage 110. I was already planning to rebarreled it with a 26"-28" varmint contour barrel. The 28 Nosler at least seems worth considering. The biggest issue seems to be brass($$$) and dies (???).

Nosler is gettin´there....Looks really good now...I guess I have to invent the 27Nosler myself..:LOL
The 7mm looks like something I could get addicted to. A real plasma gun...

Back