280, 7x57, or 7mm-08????

Basically a light 2x7 leupold. Good enough for 300-400 yards in my opinion.

jezzolo":mipiez8u said:
Buy the .280 and make it into a .280 AI

NOPE that stays factory like all of my #1's/ 8) 8) 8)

I would imagine that a 7x57 with a 120NBT would work on deer as far out as you have business shooting at one! I too have noticed that the 1B tends to be a bit more accurate than the 1As, but I admit, it is subjective to cartridge/load/shooter. I like the 1A and the 1S best of them all.

DrMike":2gt4rttz said:
filmjunkie4ever":2gt4rttz said:
6mm Remington":2gt4rttz said:
filmjunkie4ever":2gt4rttz said:
Fotis -

I have actually never fired one personally (Doc we will have a confessional about this later :) )
Dale

Oh the shame Dale! :twisted: Never fired a .280 Remington. That right there is blasphemy! :cry: :shock:

David

Yeah David, it's downright heresy.

Will need some divine absolution to feel right about things ever again. ;)

Dale

Purchase a .280 NOW! Load up a hundred cartridges and leave your evil ways immediately lest you should turn some benighted soul from the right path.

Fellas, I am safe - I have a .30-06 - all deer I shoot it at are turned into venison by virtue of transubstantiation! Or maybe it was energy transfer? Looks like I need to hit the books again. ;)

That 2x7 scope should be perfect Fotis!

Dale

Depends on what you want to shoot with it. If Elk sized game, the .280 gets the vote with heavier bullets. 7x57 and full house loads will lag only slightly behind it with the 160s.

If deer sized game, I'd go 7-08 simply for component availability.

7x57 gets the cool factor vote.

Fotis, somehow I missed this and by the time I saw it you'd already picked up the 280. Good choice. I would've picked the 7x57, only because I have two 7x57's in the Ruger No 1. I've loaded 160 grain Accubonds to 2750 fps and don't thinks there's much you couldn't hunt with that. Plus the history of the cartridge makes it somewhat romantic:).

It's no secret, on Any forum that I am on, that I am a die-hard 7mm08 addicted junkie. But in 'that' rifle I'd sway way back to my roots. The 1st rifle I ever bought for myself, with my own paper route money, was a sporterized M93, in 7X57. (age 14)

If I had the money, and wasn't already involved in 2 more projects, I'd be laying down some hard cash/ credit/ promises of future glories to snatch a 1A 7X57.....and run like Hell out the back door before anybody could figure out what the Hell happened !

I would have opted for the 7-08 now that Lapua has started making brass for it. I believe that Norma makes 7x57 brass but who makes quality 280 brass?

My first consideration (now) when building a new rifle is the availability of high quality brass. Five years of component shortages has taught me a few things.

Charlie-NY":2vofxmzn said:
I would have opted for the 7-08 now that Lapua has started making brass for it. I believe that Norma makes 7x57 brass but who make quality 280 brass?

My first consideration (now) when building a new rifle is the availability of high quality brass. Five years of component shortages has taught me a few things.

Norma does make 7X57 brass. That is where I pick up my brass. I have both Nosler and Norma brass for my .280 Rem.

Well, I already have a#1A in 7x57 so for me it would be the .280. However I would like to have a 7x57 and the .280 in Ruger's "S" version with the 26" barrel. I have one "S" model in.300 Win. mag. and it handles like a dream. Accurate too. Never much cared for the looks or feel of the "B" model. Just a bit clunky to me. I passed on a "B" in .280 about five years ago. Still kicking myself on that that one. :(
My 7x57 had a super long throat, about 2.5" as determined by my gunsmith. Sent the rifle back to Ruger and roughly sevens long months later it came back. It's a shooter now.
Paul B.

6mm Remington":2cabn8i0 said:
preacher":2cabn8i0 said:
Pure nostalgic choice for me would be the 7x57...the .275 just seems to go with a Farquharson single shot! I had a 1A in .270 that was not a spectacular shooter and the trigger was a "glock wannabe", ha. But, in 7x57, that same rifle would have been miles ahead of what the old Farquharson's were.

Those #1's can be real shooters too. Here are two different loads out of my 6mm Remington 1B at 100 yards.

400 yards

Excellent! Nice shooting!

Now you're talking, Jake! (y) However, remember that you're selling the master salesman! :mrgreen:

All three will work on the same stuff. To me the 7/08 is only worth it in a short bolt action.

The 7x57 is a logical choice in a #1 because it's a classic old school cartridge for a single shot.

Personally I'm sort of a velocity junkie so it would be a 280 for me.

DrMike":11lf5ldt said:
Now you're talking, Jake! (y) However, remember that you're selling the master salesman! :mrgreen:

Well if he buys both I know he will sale at some point so I might be able to pick up a sweet #1!!!

Fortis,

Glad to hear that you have seen the light and went with a 280!

Great cartridge and you'll enjoy it!

Nothing wrong with the other two cartridges either, and should you pick those up at later dates, I'm sure that you will enjoy each for their own characteristics.

Have fun!

Back