280 Ai dies and loads

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
I am going to start loading for the 280 Ai.
Please correct me if I am wrong. The 280 is a 7mm so if I use a 7mm neck die and a 7mm seating die (Hornady's new dimention dies) I should be ok. I am not planing to full length resize.
I will be throwing 140gr accubonds, Nosler brass, Nosler rifle.
Do any of you have any favorite loads for the 280 Ai?

7mm neck die? what 7mm? buy the correct dies and you won't have any troubles. Redding makes them.Rick.

Redding p/n 80428 280 Remington Improved 40*

RL22 powder and Federal GM215M primers for 140 gr and 160 gr loads.

JD338

Rick,
what is the diameter of a 280 Ai..... 284 or 7mm
the new dimention neck die will size only the neck. the seat die will seat a 7mm or a 284. I use a 308 neck die and a 308 seating die for my 30'06 and 300 win mag. I could use the same set for my 30-30 but I use a full length size die (because it's a lever action) but use the 308 seat die. I don't full length size any of my bolt action rifles.
Does a Ai need full length sizing due to the sholder angle??

jd338
I like RL 22 in my 300wm with accobonds (2" groups @ 300yds)
what charge weights do you like with the 160gr (is the 160 a AccuBond?)

old #7,

I am using the 160 gr AB in my 280 AI.
This is a warm load but safe in MY rifle. Work up carefully!
280AI160grAB.jpg

JD338[/img]

Old # 7, 7mm and 284 are the same, one is decimal, one is metric. The reason I ask is that in order to properly support the case and shoulder during sizing and seating, the die should closely match the case. If you have a 7mmBR set of dies, the 280AI case is not going to fit in the dies yet both have 7mm/284 bullets. While you can use various dies to accomplish the same task, as with your 30cals which are all .308s, what your are doing is not condusive to the best accuracy.
You may or may not need to FL size because it is a lever rifle. Some will tell you to use small base dies with autos, pumps and lever rifles. I assure you that is not true. I have a BLR 308 that I have only necked sized all the rounds it has fired. Loaded a number of autos in various calibers without ever using FL die much less a small base die.
From what you are saying, you are fairly new to reloading and are trying to cut corners with equipment. Rest assured it will catch you when you least expect it. Have you checked runout on any of your ammo? Not trying to be a hard nose about this.Rick.

Rick,
I I guess I should have said that I wasn't going to use 7mmBR dies.
I do know that .284 & 7mm are the same diameter. .243 & 6mm are the same also. we could go on forever with that.
I am not trying to cut corners with equipment, I don't need to.
I have been using Hornady's "new dimention dies" for some of my .308 with good results and was wondering if anyone out there hade some advice. I guess what I am trying to say is that I wasn't looking for a response like your first one. :roll:

Hey JD338,do you have a load for the 140 AccuBond in .280AI?Your pet .280 load has dropped a Mule Deer and a Whitetail for me already this season!Many thanks,Monashee. :grin:

I have not used the Hornady dies yet, but how about that Nosler 280 AI brass?

Sorry for the shameless plug!

Hey Nosler I'd be using it if I could get it in Canada!How about bringing me up a couple of boxes!Monashee

Back