280 AI Feeding Problem

vodekz

Beginner
Dec 10, 2010
This shoot and feels great but the feeding from magazine is very rough.
With two rounds in the magazine it is average, with three it gets harder, with four I almost needs to force the round into the chamber.
Also the stock fit what I just found it to the action is poor. Under the bolt there is almost 1/2 inch gap????
I e mailed Nosler today. I was so happy until I cant shoot from the magazine?? Look at the stock fit?

Nosler. I hope you can do better than that.

Wlodek

Attachments

• IMG00138-20111106-1852.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 3,893
I'm sure they will square you away. Not sure about true stock fitment? I thought they all used B and C Medalists. Wonder how close they can make it. I would be surprised if Nosler doesn't take good care of you though. Scotty

This is my second Custom 48 and the first one is perfect. It should be perfect. And if I can load that..... it is a problem. This is NOT quality. It means they are not consistent. What about quality control. I am angry, because I invested my time to shoot, brake the barrel, scope mount, reloads, dies, brass and powder. Nosler hurts my feelings. My gun dealer is 1 hour drive away from me. Just to vist him it takes 2 hours to drive round trip. I have owed 5 different Sakos, 2 Mannlichers and 2 Winchesters over my life time. I never had a problem like this with any of them. What is going on?
I feel I have been taken for a ride. No dream rifle. At least not here.
I guess, my 270 Sako will work again this deer season.

Should I buy another foreign rifle instead US made?????????
Wlodek

Vodekz...

Don't sweat it, betting they'll make it right in short order.

I had a problem with my M48 safety a month before a big sheep hunt- they sent UPS to get it, fixed it, and got it back to me with 11 days to spare...from Alaska. I was darn impressed.

Don't know your location but your gun dealer shouldn't need to be involved if you're in the US- UPS can pick up and deliver right to your door if the weapon is being returned to the manufacturer for repair.

Shawn, I hope you guys can solve it. They are shipping me a box and a label for the rifle.
But...... the gap on the stock it is normal? This is what I was told, because it makes the bolt to operate better????? Can they just make the stock to fit the action?
I never seen any rifle I have owned to have a gap like this. The proper fit will insure the good operation not to just cut hole to make it for less???
I hope I will not have to talk to Bob Nosler, about the quality of his products.

Wlodek

The rifle came in last Thursday. It took over one month to get it back. The feeding is much better, but the gap on the stock the same. According to Nosler it is normal??
Next John from service told me that they will refinish the rifle after repairs are done and..... the feeding ramp is polished and shinny!!!! never was refinished. They polished it but never refinished.
I can see that magazine spring was replaced but now I have unfinished feeding ramp.
Where is the Nosler quality? I plan to talk to Shawn again.
This is not right. This is brand new rifle.
Vodek

Vodekz - one of my rifles, a CZ varmint rifle, came with the feed ramp brightly polished from the factory. It feeds very nicely! I look at a brightly polished feed ramp as a benefit, somewhat of a custom touch, and I like the way a brightly polished feed ramp looks.

Regards, Guy

John from service called me today and the rifle is going back to the shop for the second time.

Guy, the rifle has special cerakote finish for extra weather protection and I would like to have it this way. This is one of the reasons I bought this rifle.
It looks like I have bad luck or Nosler ???

Vodek

I just got my rifle back the second time from Nosler. It feeds well and it is refinished.
Bad news, the gap by action is still there.
Entire repair took 2 months. Well, I guess Nosler can't fit stock to the action.
It is strange to me but I will have to live with it for now.
I wish Nosler will get better fitting stocks on their next rifles, that the other people will not have see any gaps.

Vodek

The stock and receiver fit is how it is designed to be and I like it just that way. My M48 TGR out shoots my Sako TRG and the bolt is a lot smoother to operate than my Sako TRG. I have owned 5 sako rifles and one was a true custom in 7mm-08 just like my M48 TGR is and it cannot out shoot my M48 nor is it as light or as balanced and easy to carry in the field as my M48. I like how Nosler decided to fit the receiver to the B&C Medalist. Great rifle and great concept. Sorry you do not like your M48 and if you keep it I hope you are able to take a lot of game with it, you have it in a great caliber.

Bullet, I never said that the rifle can't shoot. The gap simply bugs me.
I like the finish and the feel of the stock, but I like to see details to be as perfect as possible.

Vodek

vodekz":14ahwad0 said:
Bullet, I never said that the rifle can't shoot. The gap simply bugs me.
I like the finish and the feel of the stock, but I like to see details to be as perfect as possible.

Vodek

Hey, I can appreciate someone wants all the details that he likes to be as close to perfect as possible. I do understand.

I started to work on loads, and so far I can shoot 1/2 group of 3 with 140 AB or 120 BT.
I still working to choose the best powder. IMR 4831, RL-22, and H4831 sc. The last one is a bit slower but very consistent with accuracy and velocity. The next project will be loads for 160 AB.
My last load for 160AB with RL-22 works very well. Velocity is 2950 Fps with 60.5 gr.
Accuracy in 1/2 inch,when I do my part. 140 AB I still cant get overs 3100 Fps accurate. More tests are needed.
Vodek

My new found reolads are: 140 AB at 3175 pfs with N560, 120 BT with N160 3300fps
120 BT or TTX 120 gr in less then 1/2 inch. The velocity is very consistent.
120 BT it is nice coyote load with 3300 fps.
160 AB at 2950 fps should kill any bigger game but big bears in America. 280 AI is very universal caliber. One rifle to do all.

Vodek

what is your load for the 120s?

I have a TGR in 280AI and my go to load for the 140 ABs is 59g or IMR4831 at 3.26 COAL (factory load length) and Federal match primers

Back