280 AI Nosler Ammo

So when you say the necks are fire forming to .317, that is the exact size of the chamber neck.

MGM just told me that .316 was as small as they could cut the neck. I was looking more for .314 and no more than .315.

Think the .316 will make any difference. If the neck is .316, is that what it will fire form at?

Idaho_Elk_Huntr,

The .317" seems to be working for me in my 280 AI.
280AI.jpg

JD338

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

I just let the gunsmith I used worry about the fine details. He designed the chamber around R-P brass and thats what I am using. If you provided them with a couple cases, they should be able to do the chambering.
What does your gunsmith/barrel maker recommend?

I would also consider having too tight a chamber and not being able to chamber a round.

JD338

I have talked to several gunsmith and they all have told me .314-.315. Anymore and I would have trouble with bullet run out.

This barrel will be coming from MGM for my Encore. They dont say much unless you ask questions and then some still dont get answered. Figure I would find out for myself and tell them what I want.

Only thing they recommended was to do the Ackley over the STW

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

When will the 280 AI barrel arrive?

JD338

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Did you get your 280 AI barrel yet?

JD338

Idaho_Elk_Huntr":3c4slhsf said:
nope. I need to make up as few dummy rounds to send in. I need to find 2 or 3 new Nosler brass

PM me your address and I will mail you virgin Nosler brass.

JD338

just specify to the smith you want a "no turn" neck. should be around .300 thats bullet diameter + .008" on each side for neck thickness.
RR

I was told that .310 was the loaded diameter with Nosler and to add .002 per side for .314. Anyways that is why I need the brass so they can make sure.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr":1jysdcao said:
I was told that .310 was the loaded diameter with Nosler and to add .002 per side for .314. Anyways that is why I need the brass so they can make sure.

I own a 280AI use Nolser brass and I fireform some Rem as mine was chambered just before Nolser came out with their brass.

I also own a factory Rem 280 and I have Loaded and use Rem 280 and Win Nickel 280 cases.

Nolser and Rem 280AI necks mike loaded Dia .310/.3095
Rem and Win 280 necks loadsd Dia .3095/.310

both calibers fired dia .317.

Since the 280AI can fire factory 280 ammo and their are appr 6 different brands the larger fired neck dia would cover most neck thickness and be safe to use. Normally a gunsmith would mark a barrel with a special throat/chamber etc that would cover any liability on their part and protect any shooter for harm. I plan on living to be 100 but never know.

Back