168 gr. ABLR in 280AI ?

gldprimr

Beginner
Mar 12, 2006
Curious about folks experience with the Nosler 168 gr. ABLR in the 280 AI. I have a Kimber 84L that I haven’t done much with and since I was able to get some of the 168 gr. ABLR would appreciate hearing from those who’ve loaded that bullet in the 280AI, thanks.

Oh, yeah, I'd say that's "a pretty good load." It would put a grin on the chin of the most discriminating gun crank.:giggle:
Funny story about that group....
Sue was spotting for me at the bench. Called the shot 10:00 on the edge of the black ring. I could see it through the scope.
Second shot, she calls "Miss". I look through the spotting scope and tell her it's in the same hole.
Sue looks again and says "oh, ok".
Shoot the third round, she calls "Miss". I can see through the rifle scope it's right in there and I tell her it's in the same hole. Sue says "Oh, well I've never seen that done before". I said "I'm sure you haven't!"
The group went .062" c/c.
I chuckle every time I look at that picture.

JD338

Sue was spotting for me at the bench. Called the shot 10:00 on the edge of the black ring. I could see it through the scope.
Second shot, she calls "Miss". I look through the spotting scope and tell her it's in the same hole.
Shoot the third round, she calls "Miss". I can see through the rifle scope it's right in there and I tell her it's in the same hole. Sue says "Oh, well I've never seen that done before". I said "I'm sure you haven't!"

JD338
Yup. Had similar things happen. Always good when it is witnessed. (y)

JD338
Where was the moving backboard to confirm ;)

I have a buddy who shoots that bullet exclusively in his 280 AI, if memory serves me right it’s RL23 and Federal Gold medal match 215 primer with Nosler brass. It’s extremely accurate and will fill the freezer full of elk in a hurry.

The old man worked with them a bit in his Kimber, the problem is you need to seat them so short in order to get out of the chamber I think it kinda limits them a bit. A 700 is probably a better match, or maybe a 150 ABLR. I think he kinda settled on the 160 AB for the majority of his hunting now. My brother uses the 150 Swift in his Kimber and it has shot some very impressive groups at distance.

It is definitely worth trying though. That 168 Nosler should be excellent in the Ackley.

I bought a new 280AI last week. Today i bought a box of the 168 gr LR. But i dont have any 7828. I have RL19 22. IMR 4831 4350 H4831 H4350. Planning on looking for some IMR 7828sc Friday.
Those are some good powders I bet you find a good load with one of the ones you already have. Welcome to the forum, glad you're here.

Thanks i have federal 210 match and 215 mag primers. Kind of hoping either the imr 4831. Or the RL19 mite work. I have 10 pds of the 19.

I bought a new 280AI last week. Today i bought a box of the 168 gr LR. But i dont have any 7828. I have RL19 22. IMR 4831 4350 H4831 H4350. Planning on looking for some IMR 7828sc Friday.
Welcome aboard. You have received some sound advice from people who are in the know. Any of the powders you list should work well for you with the bullet you have in mind to use.

Our local gun shop had IMR 7828sc. A can of it. And 2 boxes 7mm eld m 162 gr bullets 167.00. My wife went by and got the stuff for me. I am going to pick up a few more cans of 7828sc. So i wont run out.

Back