280 question

glock3540

Beginner
May 14, 2006
Picked up a 280 Venture a few months ago. Worked up a 140gr AccuBond load and used it to kill a hog in South Carolina in May. I wanted to try out heavier bullets. I loaded up 150gr Ballistic tips. Here's the target. The first two shots (100 yards) were on the right. I moved left two clicks and up two and fired the third. This load shoots extremely well but I'm getting pressure sign. It's the max load in Nosler #5 and #6

IMAG0040.jpg

Next, I loaded up 160 Accubonds with IMR 7828. Nosler #5 lists a max load of 58.5gr. Nosler #6 reduced the max load to 54.5. I found a recipe that called for 59.5 and gave it a try. Here are the results (3 shots at 100 yards).

IMAG0042.jpg

I'm really pleased with this combination and I'm getting no pressure signs with it. I'm concerned that I'm 1 grain over the #5 manual and 5 grains over the #6 manual. Any idea why the max was dropped 4 grains in the newest manual. I plan on chronographing the load and would like to use it in Nebraska for whitetails this November.

Likely, it was a difference in the burn rate in the lot available when the guide was being prepared. The Nosler guide is precisely that--a guide. You are responsible to ensure that a load is safe in your rifle. When the techs at any bullet manufacturer or powder manufacturer gather data on a guide (or manual), they can only report on the components they have available at the time of shooting. Primers may vary somewhat, brass certainly varies from lot-to-lot, and assuredly, powder can (and does) vary in burn rate. Given the precise conditions and components available at the time data was assembled, the company can certify that the load meets pressure standards. Because they cannot guarantee that you will have access to the identical lot of powder and/or other components, the careful hand loader will begin load development at a safe charge of powder and work up, watching for pressure signs. Consequently, this is a good place to have a chronograph available to avoid excessive velocities, which may likely be associated with excessive pressures. Your rifle is shooting well, giving you decent groups, and that is a genuine pleasure. The 280 must assuredly be one of the finest cartridges available for North American hunting.

That 160 load looks like a keeper, nice shooting. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that one.

Don

Dr Mike give a vey good explaination on the load differences between the reloading guides.
Looks like you have two excellent loads, way to go.

JD338

Wow, great shooting with both loads. That 160gr AB load looks to be pretty awesome. Not sure I would mess with that, especially if it shot the same the next time out. Can't see needing much more than that load for about anything. Scotty

I agree you're there dude. With that 160 AB there is very little that can NOT be accomplished.

BTW what are your velocities>?

Your 160 gr AccuBond load should do splendidly on most game; deer, elk or what have you. Nice shooting!

If it hasn't given you any undue pressure signs from your rifle, I wouldn't worry about it. Looks good to me.

Regards, Guy

Guy has my answer, watch for a pressure change during very hot weather other than that enjoy! You have great groups :grin:

I'm hoping to get out this week and chronograph the load. It was 85 degrees when I shot so I should be OK. I've been reloading for over 15 years and have always followed published data. Just a little nervous going over 5 grains in the latest manual. Now it's time to move onto the next project. I just picked up a Remington CDL in 35 Whelen that I need to find a load for.

glock3540":218grns0 said:
I just picked up a Remington CDL in 35 Whelen that I need to find a load for.

GLOCK3540, get yourself a pound of RL15 and some 225gr PT's or AB's / 250gr PT's, start at 54gr's and start working up slowly. Trust me on this. I use RP cases and CCI250's. With 225's you will get into the 2700's with the 225's and the mid 2500's to 2600 with the 250's. JD will be along shortly, but RL15 is THE powder for the Whelen. Scotty

Already have the RL15 and two boxes of 225gr Ballistic Tips. Bought the last two boxes a shop had. Figured I'd mess with them then switch to Accubonds. I also have 250gr Speer Hot Cores. I actually loaded and shot a few the other day. I have not decided on a scope for the gun yet but wanted to shoot it. I went to my drawer of "throw away" scopes and put a cheap simmons on it just so I could shoot it. First two shots at 100 yards touched. I fired three more shots and each climbed one inch from the other. The scope is in the trash

glock3540

For the 280 Rem, stay with the 160 gr AB load and hunt what you want with that load.

As for the 35 Whelen, Scotty is spot on suggesting RL 15. I tried it with the 225 gr AB and 59.0 grs was pretty decent. When I switched over to the 250 gr PT, I setteled on 59.0 grs RL 15. Accuracy was well under MOA and my velocity is 2581 fps from a 22" barrel. Its a pretty impressive load, even at 300 yds!

JD338

WOW! at 60 gr of 7828 I started loosening primer pockets in my 280 AI with the 160 AB. I would be very interested to see what kind of speed you are getting out of your 280. I'm getting about 2990 with that load. If I drop half a grain I'm good and in the 2950 range, but RL-22 will do the same thing and shoot a bit better.

glock3540":2u76v9fu said:
Already have the RL15 and two boxes of 225gr Ballistic Tips. Bought the last two boxes a shop had. Figured I'd mess with them then switch to Accubonds. I also have 250gr Speer Hot Cores. I actually loaded and shot a few the other day. I have not decided on a scope for the gun yet but wanted to shoot it. I went to my drawer of "throw away" scopes and put a cheap simmons on it just so I could shoot it. First two shots at 100 yards touched. I fired three more shots and each climbed one inch from the other. The scope is in the trash

You will be in great shape with RL15. It is a GREAT powder in the Whelen. I will say that I am shooting 60gr's of RL15, RP cases and CCI250's and getting 2670 with mine. Again, you have to work up to this but it is really easy on my brass and such. OAL is 3.34" with the 250gr PT. That same load with a 225 is going to be in the 2700's really easy. I am getting right about 1/2" groups outta the same rifle as you.

Put a good scope on that rifle and you will be in great shape. Those Speer 250's shoot identical to the PT's, so they are an excellent bullet to work up loads with. Same BC and profile as the 250gr PT. Scotty

160 gr. AccuBond is a winner in your rifle and I would be very happy with the way it shot for you! I would not change a thing as long as there are no pressure signs like guys have said. Great job! The 280 Remington is one of the best EVER! :grin:

That Venture looks promising!! I have been looking at them for awhile now...how do you like the gun? I am a .280 fan myself and I am l thinking of buying one and getting one in a 300wsm when they make it out.

I like it. I also have one in 7mm mag. Have not messed with the 7mm much with heavier bullets but it will shoot 140gr core lokts as good as the 280 shoots the 160 accubonds. I need to find an accurate load with heavier bullets for it. I also plan on getting one in 300wsm in weathershield when they come out.

glock3540":cycaiide said:
I like it. I also have one in 7mm mag. Have not messed with the 7mm much with heavier bullets but it will shoot 140gr core lokts as good as the 280 shoots the 160 accubonds. I need to find an accurate load with heavier bullets for it. I also plan on getting one in 300wsm in weathershield when they come out.

Good deal...sounds like they have some shooters! Hard to beat the price on them!

Chris

glock3540":22c7m9ps said:

RL22 is your friend with the 7RM and heavier bullets. Should be able to get into the 3000's pretty easily with the 160's. Great powder and it is usually very accurate. Scotty

Back