.280 Rem or .280 AI?

Scott Spencer

Handloader
Mar 27, 2008
I have gun fever (I have it most months throughout the year) and I am looking into getting either an off the shelf .280 Rem or just buying a used .270/.30-06 to get the action for a .280 AI custom.

I know the ballistics are better for the AI but do I really need it when I am looking at a huge additional cost for a custom rifle? My hunting/shooting will be mostly 200-250 yds, or even less, with the occasional 300 yd shot.

Can I expect to get 2900 - 3000 fps with a 150 gr BT or AB from a standard .280 Rem with a 24" barrel? What sort of drop are we looking at 300 yds with a .280 Rem vs .280 AI?

Is there a website that can give me a lot of this information?

Thanks fellas, and thanks for putting up with my questions!!

You won't go wrong with either cartridge. For the type of shooting you anticipate, the 280 will undoubtedly meet your needs. The velocities you seek are certainly obtainable with a 24 inch tube on the 280.

I know there are a lot of guys here with more knowledge than me on this... but I started the same project about a year and a half ago. I wanted the AI because it is more unique and not everyone has one. I have a 280 Rem. as well. From what I learned, there is about a 10% increase in case capacity on an AI over a 280 Rem. There seems to be around 100 FPS +/- increase with it. I bought a 700 30-06 to build on, decided I wanted a stainless action instead. So I bought a stainless 700 270. Still have both of them. I will eventually get around to using the stainless action. A good friend has 4 280s and a 280 AI and loves them all. I think it is more a matter of what you want to spend your money on...definately more $$$ to go AI (brass, custom work etc.)

Scott,

Either one will work great for the ranges you've indicated ( short of type of animals you plan on taking )
My Rem 700 .280 has taken it's fair share of Mulies & Elk and is a great easy round.
Nosler now has the AI brass and dies are readily available so no additianal work necessary for loading if you go the AI direction.

If you have load data / bullet b.c. you can go to www.biggameinfo.com and play around with their ballistic calculator to compare velocity / drop etc for any given situation.

A lot of times you'll find it not necesary to go the extra step... reality is dead is dead, or why not just purchase a 7mag and have basically the .280AI for less $$$ ??

With that said.... :grin: Sure would like to turn my .280 into an AI :grin: :grin:
Let us know what you decide.

$599 avg for an off the shelf 280.

$399 avg for a new donor/parts action + $300 for barrel + $150-200 chambering/fitting + $200 - 400 for 700 true/clean up work.

Will you gain 500$ worth of velocity? No, but regardless of cartridge choice, you'll end up with a good accurate barrel if you go that route...

$600 or 1100$: U decide.

Other choice is to rechamber using the factory barrel, but you still got a factory barrel. Take a look at JD338's 280AI - its a hottie fer sure...

How deep is your pocketbook?

Suggest a std 280, invest in a good aftermarket trigger and good glass first. See what ya got, you may be pleasantly suprised..

Rod

Don't know what type of barrel your looking at but I believe Pac-Nor will chamber, true, and install a stainless fluted barrel for $705. Take $125 off if you don't want fluting.

There have been some good points made for both sides of the equation here, If it where me I would go AI. Something a little different, almost 7 mag speeds, brass last longer and is available formed now. You already have two donor actions, sell the one you don't want and you have almost paid for your custom barrel. Buy a 280 or 7 mag off the shelf and you know have three guns sitting in your safe, and have spent more money at the same time.

You can't go wrong with either one. I have the regular 280 and the performance is superb. I don't know if it's worth the expense for a modest gain in performance in going with the AI route. I killed deer with mine from 150 yards all the way up to 600+ yards. They're all DRT when hit with the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at a modest velocity of 2900 fps.

I like them both but the AI really rocks! JD338 has one and he has done well with it. Do a search or wait until he chimes in.

Thanks, fellas! This is exactly the feedback and thoughts that I needed. While I would love to have the AI version, I may just stick with the .280 and buy it in the Ruger Hawkeye topped with a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest.

If you have a TC encore, you can get a blued or stainless bbl in .280 Rem from 24-28", or have a custom bbl made for you in AI for not a lot more. Just throwing another idea out there...

I have a .280 Rem built on a Remington action with Shilen barrel and McM stock that I have had about 20 years. I would like to build another .270/7mm class rifle, but I want to go with a WSM,SAUM or RCM based cartridge to get into a short action but have the same exterior ballistics.

I have talked to Ruger about a 6.5 RCM too, but that project seems to be in the too hard box just now.

jim

Both are great. I've never had a .280 AI, but I did own a .280 Remington, and it was a great rifle. I loaded 140 grain Partitions or Solid Base Boattails in it with great success. Shot my largest elk with that rifle at about 250 yards.

I may just stick with the .280 and buy it in the Ruger Hawkeye topped with a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest.

Sounds like a good plan. May I suggest you bump that scope power up a tish to say, 4.5/14 or 4/12. I know you'll be happier when shooting past 200 yds.

Also, add a 100$ Rifle Basix trigger to it & you have fun. I am one who has faith in Ruger 77's. 4 outta 5 of them have been great shooters for me in a factory hunting rifle & all got new triggers. (the odd one shot great, but only with a cold barrel)

Rod

Hi, I would go with the 280 Rem it is in my opinion the hidden gem for deer and elk. I have a friend that shoots one with 140ABs and it is a nail pounder.

Blessings
Dan

I think I'll go with the .280 in a Ruger Hawkeye. Unfortunately they are getting rare since Ruger decided to stop production of the .280!?!?!? WHY??

In any case, I'm looking around and trying to find one but selection has been limited as I suppose not many folks have leftover stock. I've checked a couple of the auction sites but the auctions all end in a day or two. The problem is, I won't have the money to buy a rifle until next week. :cry:

Scott Spencer":21dvsn3r said:
I think I'll go with the .280 in a Ruger Hawkeye. Unfortunately they are getting rare since Ruger decided to stop production of the .280!?!?!? WHY??

In any case, I'm looking around and trying to find one but selection has been limited as I suppose not many folks have leftover stock. I've checked a couple of the auction sites but the auctions all end in a day or two. The problem is, I won't have the money to buy a rifle until next week. :cry:

Well, that sucks, I know that feeling lately.
I am , however, glad to see that you have more restraint than the federal government and aren't out there bouncing checks that you may never be able to pay.

Scott Spencer

I have experience with both 280 Rem and 280 AI. Both are excellent rounds and either one will meet your requirements.
With the 280 AI, you can expect 100-150 fps more, depending on bullet weight and barrel length. This will get you into the lower level of 7mm Rem Mag performance. Fire forming 280 AI brass is easy but dies will run you $60-70 bucks. The 280 AI case is very efficient and you will get long case life with very little case trimming.

My 280 AI is on a blue printed M700 action, Heart 24" fluted barrel, Tubb Recoil Lug, Pillar bedded into a LSS stock. She shoots the 140 gr AB at 3240 fps and the 160 gr AB at 3019 fps with excellent accuracy.
JD700280AI.jpg

As already mentioned, good optics is key to having a tack driver.

JD338

If I was going to build and shoot a 280 alot, and as much as I HATE case trimming, I would go AI. The extra initial cost would be well worth it.

Long

longwinters":17u00oao said:
If I was going to build and shoot a 280 alot, and as much as I HATE case trimming, I would go AI. The extra initial cost would be well worth it.

Long

Long,

What are you waiting for. :wink: :lol:
The 280 AI has a lot of cool factor.8)

JD338

That is an awesome looking rifle, JD!!!! That is some serious velocity you are getting as well. :shock:

Back