280 Rem vs 308 Win

DaveA37

Beginner
Jan 2, 2010
If you had you choice (and have rifles in both calibers), which of the two calibers would you pick between the 280 Remington and the 308 Winchester and WHY would you choose them? :?:

Ok I will play but before I do some input please.

What am I hunting for? What is terrain like? Long range short range timber mountain etc etc....

Ok I will play but before I do some input please.

What am I hunting for? What is terrain like? Long range short range timber mountain etc etc....

+1

This is easy, the 280! Just a more useful cartridge to me all the way around. I like the little 308, but I think the 280 pretty much smokes it all the way around. From 140-175 it runs a little faster with higher BC and SD'ed bullets. Plus, I am just not very warm on the 308.. I have one, but it is truly a once in awhile rifle. The wife likes it though, so I call it hers!

SJB358":24bh19em said:
This is easy, the 280! Just a more useful cartridge to me all the way around. I like the little 308, but I think the 280 pretty much smokes it all the way around. From 140-175 it runs a little faster with higher BC and SD'ed bullets. Plus, I am just not very warm on the 308.. I have one, but it is truly a once in awhile rifle. The wife likes it though, so I call it hers!

+1 all the way around, Scotty. I had a .308 and sold it. I have a .280 and that is my everyday hunting rifle now.

I would go 280 Rem BUT we really need to know the rules of engagement first. Maybe a 308 might be a better choice in certain applications.

And FWIW, I would think hard on getting the 280 Rem "AI". :grin:

JD338

There is no question that I really like the 280 Rem. That being said, I have shot a fair number of 308 Wins, and they do tend toward accuracy. Give us the rules of engagement.

SJB358":oa2xyivx said:

Is this why you have so many 280's in your stable, Scotty? :lol: (come to the land of the 280 and be whole!)

Ron

I have a lot of experience with both rounds. My first deer rifle was a .308 and killed more Bambi than a normal MN winter. About 6 years ago I got a .280 on a mauser action. It has been much more difficult to reload than the .308. That old Rem 788 just ate anything I put through it with MOA or better groups. The .280 is fussier.

Ballistically and hunting wise the .280 will do alot more. Still hoping to get out west or up to canada so the .280 will be a go to piece for that. If I were still just hunting deer in the Northwoods, I'd grab the .308 anyday. It just seemed to kill deer deader with a 150 gr. SP.

Unbelievable! :grin: All you left-leaning, Euro-caliber loving, .280 shooting guys. Dang...

I'll vote for America's Cartridge: the .30-06 Short!

Also known as the .30-06 Special...

7.62 NATO (more or less)

The one, the only, .308 Winchester! :mrgreen:

Just because the .280 stands taller, shoots faster, and has those slick, high BC 7mm bullets with less drop and less wind drift... You'd think it was a superior choice or something. Nope. Give me the true-blue .308 Win. Why? Not just because I've already got a couple and don't want to sell. I've just got this "thing" about the .308 Win. It's a short, stubby, fireplug of a .30 cal cartridge that is so doggone easy to load, easy to shoot, capable of amazing accuracy, easy on barrels... Barrels get expensive, so I like that last part.

Yeah, it's sort of like choosing the chunky, short girl instead of her tall, willowy companion, but what the heck. I just plain like the short, chunky .308 Win.

Dave - the .280 is the superior hunting cartridge unless for some reason you prefer a .30 cal hole instead of a .28 cal hole in the barrel. That said, I really, really like my .308 Win rifles and they've done well for me.

Doggone 7mm lovers convention here. Grumble, mumble, grumble... Going off to pour myself another cup of coffee and tell my .308's that they're great rifles.

Guy,

You know you could screw on a 7mm-08 barrel and give it a whirl. :mrgreen:

JD338

Guy, you have no idea what your missing. You could get rid of all your others with a simple 7WSM in an Extreme Weather. Heck, didn't you flat smoke a bull elk with a dirty old 7mm!

Is this why you have so many 280's in your stable, Scotty?

Touche! Well said, Ron.

Guy! How is it you haven't yet acquired a .280? Another one that needs to come over to the dark side. :twisted:

The 280 can operate at 65,000 lbs also in a handload for a bolt action and when it does :mrgreen: I've killed more game DRT with a 308 but then I learned how inferior it was so of course I bought a 280. I havn't actually killed anything with it yet but :lol:
Greg

lhsako":ux265run said:
>270 win. it operates at 65,000 as compared to 60,000 for the .280 rem.
Only in factory ammo the brass is made for the tolerance but because the 280 was introduced in the 742 versus a good bolt action. So factories keep pressures down for liability purposes.

Back