280 Rem vs 308 Win

You guys around here are making the .280 too popular. I might have to rebarrel mine into something obscure and antiquated just to escape the herd. Maybe I could shorten the neck a tad, blow out the shoulder to keep the same case capacity with a deeper seating depth but make it work better in a standard military mauser 98 action. Call it the .281 curmudgeon .279 Einzelgänger or something. I'll have to read up on the specs for .280 Ross, see if it will work with the original '91 8X57J case head that most of our modern cases are based on.

Maybe I could neck the 7,5X55 swiss down to 7mm and have something nobody else does and keep those wonderful .280 ballistics!... no wait, that's basically the .284 Win without the wacky rebated rim.

Polaris":2jr98wpa said:
You guys around here are making the .280 too popular. I might have to rebarrel mine into something obscure and antiquated just to escape the herd. Maybe I could shorten the neck a tad, blow out the shoulder to keep the same case capacity with a deeper seating depth but make it work better in a standard military mauser 98 action. Call it the .281 curmudgeon .279 Einzelgänger or something. I'll have to read up on the specs for .280 Ross, see if it will work with the original '91 8X57J case head that most of our modern cases are based on.

Maybe I could neck the 7,5X55 swiss down to 7mm and have something nobody else does and keep those wonderful .280 ballistics!... no wait, that's basically the .284 Win.

.280 Gibbs!!

Well. guess I got you all going pretty well and you seem to lean VERY heavily towards the 280, I'll provide some of the additional requested information.

Application? North American Big Game (minus Grizzly/Brown bear),

Reload? I do and have reloaded for a number of years but I am NOT a finatic. I just enjoy doing it.

I own two 308's. A Winchester Model 88 (Serial number under 9000, Like new and "retired").
A Remington Model 700 (Pretty much my go to rifle before I built a 300 Win Mag)
I use this rifle on/off whitetail/mule deer and antelope hunting.

I own one 280 A Remington Model 700 (A recent gift with only 3 shots fired. I have yet to fire it)
Working up some loads and hoping for success.

Just looking into which rifle I will gravitate towards when the time comes to fill some tags. Hence my posted question. :mrgreen:

By the way, thanks for the responses.

DaveA37":3tqvplmk said:
Well. guess I got you all going pretty well and you seem to lean VERY heavily towards the 280, I'll provide some of the additional requested information.

Reload? I do and have reloaded for a number of years but I am NOT a finatic. I just enjoy doing it.
I own one 280, a Remington Model 700 (A recent gift with only 3 shots fired. I have yet to fire it)

Dave I see it plain as day, you my friend are in complete denial!! :p :lol: Being one that has this sickness, it is easy for me to see it in others. Did you notice how these guys helped me out and were so kind to point out how Ruger is making their Hawkeye Sporter in stainless with the wood laminate in .280 Remington this year again! :evil: I have started saving my pennies to purchase one :shock: , hopefully by late spring so I can do some load work and maybe shoot some gophers for practice.

Do you see what took place here? I just barely sold those 280 RCBS dies to you and Ruger and these jokers on this site go and do this to a guy! RADD strikes again.
David

DaveA37":h2i1wf5a said:
Application? North American Big Game (minus Grizzly/Brown bear),

IMR 4350 and the 160 Partition will be your best friends

What if a fella happens to own one of each? :shock:
At one point I had 3 308s and 2 280s.

I've killed a pile of whitetails with both cartridges and quite frankly none of them required a second shot.

Due to RADD I can't imagine not owning at least one of each........

Howard

"Heck, didn't you flat smoke a bull elk with a dirty old 7mm!"

Indeed I did. The 7mm Rem mag and I have a long association. Right now though - I don't have one of the doggone things in my safe! Something's just plain wrong with that...

"I own one 280 A Remington Model 700 (A recent gift with only 3 shots fired) I have yet to fire it. Working up some loads and hoping for success."

Wow - a .280 as a gift. Very cool. Say a big Thank You to someone. Should be a great general purpose hunting rifle. Keep us posted with your load development!

Guy Miner":27iyfjz1 said:
"Heck, didn't you flat smoke a bull elk with a dirty old 7mm!"

Indeed I did. The 7mm Rem mag and I have a long association. Right now though - I don't have one of the doggone things in my safe! Something's just plain wrong with that...

I agree with that! I went away from the 7mm for a little, but man, it is back, in a big way with the 7WSM Guy. Give it a look. I know you have read the articles on it, but to me, it is the best of the lot for the 7WSM's. I love the 270WSM alot, but the 7WSM is a little more capable and simply easy to load for. Plus, in a nice and trim little rifle, it would make that all arounder you have spoke about....

Do you see what took place here? I just barely sold those 280 RCBS dies to you and Ruger and these jokers on this site go and do this to a guy! RADD strikes again.
David[/quote]

David, I would be willing to post some photos of my 280 dies and/or some loaded ammo so that you could caress your screen and imagine holding them yourself. Just be sure to wash your hands first so you don't get food stains on the screen. :mrgreen:

All in the spirit of easing your pain and suffering, of course. Woooosah! Woooosah! :lol:

Ron

I have a safe full of different calibers. When it comes time to do some serious hunting though, I always grab for the 280. I pillar bedded, steel bedded the action, and free floated the barrel on my rem 700. i also installed a timney trigger. Everything that I have pointed it at has died! It's just one of those guns that no matter what, I know it's gonna perform.

rjm158":3akj4lr9 said:
David

David, I would be willing to post some photos of my 280 dies and/or some loaded ammo so that you could caress your screen and imagine holding them yourself. Just be sure to wash your hands first so you don't get food stains on the screen. :mrgreen:

All in the spirit of easing your pain and suffering, of course. Woooosah! Woooosah! :lol:

Ron[/quote]
Ron that was straight to the heart, straight to the heart! :p :lol: Now I will quickly change focus on GUY as he obviously needs to help in the 280 department and has never owned one. If he could only find one in a CDL to be a perfect match with his 25-06 he'd be all set! :mrgreen: See I've already lost this battle and I'm sliding down this slippery slope towards another 280 and I don't think I can stop!

David

Polaris":ts9dxvds said:

Maybe I could neck the 7,5X55 swiss down to 7mm and have something nobody else does and keep those wonderful .280 ballistics!... no wait, that's basically the .284 Win without the wacky rebated rim.

.280 Halger High velocity magnum :twisted:

I have a 308 so I would probably have to take a 280...I have more use for one of those as I have a 300 Savage, a 308, two 30-06's, and a 300 WSM so I think I have the 30 cal club quite decently covered!

There's just a confidence I have in 30 caliber rifles. I can't explain it.

Although I agree with anyone who says I need to branch out and give some of the others bigger and smaller a try for even temporary tenancy in my gun safe.

I would load my 280 with the 160 grain Nosler AccuBond at around 2850 fps and put a decent Leupy glass on top and laugh like a Mad Scientist in between shoveling the venison into my mouth! I have no doubt in either of these two cartridges.

6mm Remington":kwi6pb1d said:
rjm158":kwi6pb1d said:
David

Ron
Ron that was straight to the heart, straight to the heart! :p :lol: Now I will quickly change focus on GoUY as he obviously needs to help in the 280 department and has never owned one. If he could only find one in a CDL to be a perfect match with his 25-06 he'd be all set! :mrgreen: See I've already lost this battle and I'm sliding down this slippery slope towards another 280 and I don't think I can stop!

David[/quote]

Here you go 100 rounds before and after 140BT with 52.5 gr of 4350.

Attachments

• IMAG0075.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,513
  • IMAG0080.jpg
    941.8 KB · Views: 1,513
6mm Remington.

Dave,

Ron beat me to it.......... :mrgreen:

"Do you see what took place here? I just barely sold those 280 RCBS dies to you and Ruger and these jokers on this site go and do this to a guy! RADD strikes again.
David[/quote]

David, I would be willing to post some photos of my 280 dies and/or some loaded ammo so that you could caress your screen and imagine holding them yourself. Just be sure to wash your hands first so you don't get food stains on the screen.

All in the spirit of easing your pain and suffering, of course. Woooosah! Woooosah!

Ron"

I have both and shoot both. The 280 is the 06 of the 284 calibers, probably the best for big game. I have nothing against the winny but for big game the 280 gives about 10% more.

Lets throw the .270 in here and add a couple of hundred pages, my answer is still the same. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Back