280 Remington deer/pig bullet

Polaris":1p2374ld said:
There is still an old school cool .280 bullet out there though. The Speer GS. Looks like the old Federal Hi-shok. I've been using them to great effect on large Northwoods whitetail for several years now in my .280 (145 gr). Not a particularly sleek or long range design, rather a slight flattened point for immediate expansion. Drop bucks like Thor's hammer, then hold together and drive through. Very accurate in my rifle also. The 145 SP matches trajectory to 150 yards or so for low-cost practice.
I have 150 of these coming next week. The old style not the new screwed up Grand Slam.

150 Partition should work just fine. Cannot gonwrong with the 160 AB either.

You did not mention the size of the pigs in your neck of the woods. Hard raking shots on larger pigs and yes, I would say you may be happier with the 160 grainers. At these short distances, sleek bullets like the AB may not be necessary. How about the Swift A-Frame? Or the good old Sierra Pro-Hunter?

Going to depend on which performs best in your rifle.

Never shot a wild pig, but my featherweight shoots a mild RL19 140 gr AccuBond load exceptionally well. I wouldn't hesitate to use 140 gr Sierra PH, or 139 gr interlocksl I think you'll find many of the suggested bullets will work. Buy a couple boxes to start and see what your gun likes.

My first .280 was back in '77. I killed a nice buck up close using factory 150 corlokts load ( 15yds from the blind) he ran 30 yds and fell. I then worked up a load with the Hornady 139sp. Its a grand "old school" bullet itself! Tough bullet. I worked up some accurate loads in the early 80's in a 7mm Mag with those 154RN Hornadys, very accurate but I always hunted with the 150 Partition for deer and 160 Partition for elk. The Woodleigh 160-175 would do swell, but you may have to order them from Huntington Dies co, they carry them in stock. Let us know what you finally settle on. Oh yeah, we always tried to shoot pigs behind the ear to save the meat. If he runs "then" we shot them in the body. Different strokes. :)

I had excellent success with a variety of bullets in several .280s. I have taken multiple deer with the Hornady 139 g. BTSP and 51 grains of H414. For years, WXR and WMR were my "go to" powders, but they have been discontinued. The 140 grain AB with a good charge of RL19 or H4831 always delivered well for me. Another very accurate load was the Sierra 140 g. SPT with a stiff charge of VN165. Reviewing my notes discloses that RL17 and 139 g. GMX were stepping right along and scary accurate. The Swift 150 grain Scirocco and VN560 was another load that carried the goods for me. I should imagine that any of those bullets at full velocity would be more than adequate for either deer or swine.

Kinda depends on the size of the pigs you might encounter. If they are going to be in the 200# & under class then you don't need to worry too much about the shoulder shield/gristle. The 150 BT will do fine. I tore up a bunch of 'em, in Fla, with my 7/08. Bang/Flop/BBQ. All complete pass through.

Over 200# they get a bit tougher, Fast. I'd still stay with the 150gr but go for the PT or AB, which ever your rifles shoots better. (check SPS regularly)

The deer will go Flop no matter what, with either.

Back