.280 Ross

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I've had an itch that I couldn't scratch for some time. I have wanted a Ross rifle. In particular, I wanted a .280 Ross. The Ross was selected as the main battle rifle for Canadian troops during the First World War. Unfortunately, it was so delicately engineered that it failed to function well in the trenches. American troops can speak to the problem of new rifles in the midst of war. In any case, the Ross was hyped as an answer to the problem of velocity. Indeed, the .280 Ross did generate velocities that anticipated the 7mm RM, but the bullets available at the time were incapable of providing the performance that such velocities required. Stories were told of African hunters that tackled lions with Ross rifles, only to experience the wrath of beasts who took exception to being shot and not killed. Unfortunately, there are no Nosler bullets made for the rifle, as the bore is .287 inches. Nevertheless, I've wanted one for some years. A couple of weeks past, a friend alerted me to a Ross rifle (Model 10) offered for sale in a Maritime province. Long story short, the price was exceptional and the pictures showed a rifle that, though a hundred years old, was in exceptional shape. When I received it in the mail, it was better than I could have imagined. It is around 92%. The bore is bright and unpitted. There are a few marks acquired from storage on the wood. It had Weaver bases and rings holding a cheap scope when it arrived. I haven't determined whether to try shooting it with iron sights or mounting a decent scope on it, but it will be shot. It came with about 200 Woodleigh and DKT .287 146 and 160 grain bullets, forty pieces of brass and about 100 pieces of 300 H&H and Winchester 348 brass that was fire-formed. In short, it has some potential. It will be joining my Ross .303 Model R and going to the range shortly.

Here are a few pictures of the rifle:

280RossModel103.jpg

280RossModel102.jpg

280RossModel101.jpg

I thought I'd show a picture of the dies and some of the brass for those who have never seen the brass.

280Rossdiesandbrass2.jpg

280Rossdiesandbrass1.jpg

I am very pleased at this point. I'm in the midst of remodelling to install a new safe. As soon as it is done, I will be adding my .338 Federal that has now been finished. I'll begin break-in on that rifle next week. The 9.3X64 Brenneke should be finished within a couple of weeks, I'm told. It looks as if it will be a busy summer.

Thanks, Brian. I am anxious to complete the renovations so I can get to the loading bench to work with this rifle. I'm quite pleased to find it; it appears to be in better shape than almost any I've seen, and the price agreed upon was fully fifty percent less than the best price I had found previously. I had an old military model that was not a shooter. It has an amazingly complex sighting system, which is being cleaned by a friend. Perhaps I'll speak with him about putting it on this rifle. We'll see. If QL is reasonably accurate, I should be able to generate velocities of ~2900 fps with either 160 grain Woodleigh bullets or 160 grain DKT bullets. I should generate 3000+ fps with 140 grain DKT bullets. I will be pleased with those figures.

Beautiful rifle Dr. Mike. It doesn't look "military" though. Does she wear the same wood that she did 100 years ago? Looking forward to the range report!

It is original wood. I'm sorry for the confusion; this is not the military version; rather, it is the civilian Model 10. The military version had a 24 inch barrel, different stock, military sights and magazine cut-off. This one is a 26 inch barrel and a Winchester folding sight. I am on the lookout for a military version. The one I had was neither shootable nor was it attractive enough to be a shooter. The bore was not in bad shape, but the bolt was missing and the wood was in really poor shape. There are some parts that can be salvaged, and perhaps they can be bartered at some future point.

Jake,

I've never done this. I have some written documentation, and that is the extent of it. I'll be learning more as I begin to work with this.

Mike,
Pretty and cool at the same time. I just read an article about this same rifle and then there was one on GB that was in wonderful condition. It went for a song. I almost bid on it because it was so intriguing but I was worried about finding/forming brass. Very neat find - I hope you enjoy her!

Scott

Scott,

It is a learning process. I have some brass manufactured by Bell. It appears to be quite brittle, however. I imagine it will require annealing before using. I'm fascinated by the forming instructions that came with the rifle. However, my curiosity doesn't override my desire for properly headstamped brass.

WOW! That rifle is beautiful Mike! Man, that rifle just looks AWESOME buddy. I am really looking forward to seeing what it does for you. It should be a ton of fun. Those 160 Woodleighs should get everything done. What a beast. Great score. Can't wait to hear about it in action.

So, what do you hunt with this year? :twisted:

Scotty,

You can get a feel for the potential of this rifle by running data on QL (.280 Riml NE Ross, Woodleigh or DKT .287 bullets, 26 inch barrel). Maintaining a sedate pressure (the rifle is a hundred years old), it will still generate velocities nipping at the heels of the 7RM. The data indicates that it will favour slow powders. ReLoder22 and VihtaVuori N570 each look good on paper. I'll shortly be testing to see how it works out in practise.

...nice aquisition, just remember the part about the bolt blowing back...

...time to start looking for a couple original Newtons in .30 & .35...

Yup! Assemble the bolt wrong and there is nothing holding it. Assemble the bolt properly and there is an interrupted locking mechanism quite similar to Weatherbys. Men in the heat of battle disassembled their rifles due to the dirt; then, under pressure reassembled the bolt incorrectly. It is uncertain how many actually suffered this tragedy. However, the potential is there, and undoubtedly that knowledge contributed to the demise of an otherwise excellent cartridge.

Mike, I remember running the numbers when we were talking and I was very impressed with that cartridge at the less than screaming loads. Since it has such a monster case, it should be a lot of fun shooting that rifle and as long as you aren't doing dis/ass blindfolded, I don't imagine you should have trouble with that rifle... Can't wait to see what it does. You might have to take some pictures of a loaded dummy round with the 160 Woodleigh in there. Be a heck of a moose thumper. Time to look for some glass for that rig. I don't want you getting bit by something trying to get too close!

Gene, the 30 Newton and 35 Newton are really pretty slick cartridges. I have secured the dies for the 35 Newton, next, I am looking for some cases. Pretty sure after I find the donor, I will start looking for barrels for that build. It has kinda pushed past the 325WSM a little, but with the wife's interest in elk hunting, I might be able to talk her into a 325 and set up properly, I think she would have a first class thumper. So, I would be able to kill two birds with the same rock, I would be able to shoot it anytime I want and she would get an awesome rifle that should be all anyone ever needs in the elk woods. The wife really wants to hunt elk with me next Fall, so I wanna make sure she is set up correctly!

I am really thrilled for you at the prospect of your wife hunting with you. That is just neat. My wife will shoot with me; but hunting is out. Ditto with my daughters. My grandchildren, however, hold out the prospect of new hunting partners in the near future.

I'll work on some loads this next week. This past week was a wash. My loading area was a disaster as I had everything moved awaiting a new safe. It is in now, so I'm getting back to a measure of order. I have a 300 WBY to work up this next week, and I'll be bringing home my 338 Federal and beginning break-in. That means I should have some time to work on the .280 Ross, among other rifles.

Drmike,What a beautiful rifle ! Seeing Ross rifles reminds me of one of my favorite books. "A Rifleman went to war" by H.W. Mc Bride a WWI sniper who used a Ross rifle.

I'm not familiar with the book, but I will be looking for a copy.

DrMike":34c4h0ea said:
I am really thrilled for you at the prospect of your wife hunting with you. That is just neat. My wife will shoot with me; but hunting is out. Ditto with my daughters. My grandchildren, however, hold out the prospect of new hunting partners in the near future.

I'll work on some loads this next week. This past week was a wash. My loading area was a disaster as I had everything moved awaiting a new safe. It is in now, so I'm getting back to a measure of order. I have a 300 WBY to work up this next week, and I'll be bringing home my 338 Federal and beginning break-in. That means I should have some time to work on the .280 Ross, among other rifles.

Me too Mike. Hunting with my wife is alot of fun. We have had some great times in the mountains chasing bear and deer, so I am hoping once she gets to elk, she will be as hooked as I am about it.

I know you are probably happy to have the 338F and the 9.3 close to finished. I gotta think you might spend more time trying to figure out what rifle you are going to use to hunt that actually hunting. Maybe you'll need to start carrying two rifles! HA!

I am pretty pumped to see what that Ross does. It looks very nice for being almost as old as you buddy!

It looks very nice for being almost as old as you buddy!

Oh, yeah. I hope I look that good at that age. :lol: It can be a problem remembering which one I really should carry each year. I've shot many animals with the wrong rifle--you know, a .358 when I meant to carry a .356, or a .280 when I really meant to carry a .30-06, or a .325WSM rather than a 7WSM. Well, you get the picture.

Back