.284 154 SST

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
This was a water jug test done at 25 yds with my .280 Rem.

154 SST @2950 fps: 92.9 gr retained (60.3%), expanded to .667", recovered in 4th jug.
DSC09922.JPG

DSC09924.JPG

I've seen performance like this before with SSTs. They seem to separate but stay with each other, if that makes sense. The core was found with the jacket in the 4th jug. A couple of years ago I shot a deer lengthwise with a .308 150 SST and the core and jacket separated, but were lodged in the abdominal muscles about an inch from each other. I'm happy with the performance. Weight retention, expansion, and penetration were all pretty good. I'd prefer that the core stayed in the jacket, but I can't argue with the on game results I've had with SSTs. This was the load I used on my buck this year. It was a 30 yd, high rib shot and complete pass through.

That's pretty good velocity out of your .280. Performance was about what I would have expected. It isn't bad at all.

I would classify that as good mule deer performance.

"This was the load I used on my buck this year. It was a 30 yd, high rib shot and complete pass through."

Impressive! Often the high-velocity, short-range hits don't penetrate completely. Looks like a fine load to me.

It's a load I'm very happy with for my .280.

When I developed this load, Jim Bires ran QuickLoad for me at .270 pressures. I got to the velocity I'm at pretty easily working within those parameters.

That looks pretty good from here.
Excellent deer load for sure.

JD338

Very nice. Looks like the 45 caliber Hornady SST muzzle loading bullet I recoverd from a doe I shot two years ago. Just like you said it the core and jacket were together but could be seperated.

Corey

Back