30-06 150 gr. Accubond vs Ballistic Tip

fjlee

Beginner
Sep 27, 2004
I have made several 1 shot kills on mule deer and antelope, using a 30-06 with Nosler Ballistic Tip 150 grain bullets. Impact velocity estimated to be in the window of 2750-2950fps. Shot placement was good in each instance.

However, the bullet trauma made a mess. A lot of meat was wasted, and the gutting and “clean-up” of the animals was often a real chore.

Would a 150 grain AccuBond have killed ‘em just as dead, with less mess and waste? Or is the performance difference (on the critter) so slight as to not be noticed?

Lee in Denver

I would think the damage trauma would be similar. I would suggest going up to a 165 gr bullet.

JD338

Yes, 165gr AccuBond or try the 150gr E-TIP. I have not yet tried the E-Tip on game but I believe by design it will not mess up as much meat. Will find out this fall.

The AB might do a little less damage becuz the bullet is a little tougher and wont violently expand "as much". With that said, the next best thing is to move up in bullet weight, that way the impact velocity is less (which is why you see the mess) and since its a bigger weight bullet, is constructed a little more heavily, thus not expanding as violently as lesser weight bullets.

I usually shoot at higher velocities, and for me, the AB's make less mess and have a better history of exiting...I've yet to recover an AB.

I've heard that the 180gr B-tip bullet has a thicker jacket. If that's the case then the bullet would stronger and be moving slower, thus, should have less violent upset and better penetration.

Maybe someone from Nosler could verify this.

Charlie-NY":nb2k7fg9 said:
I've heard that the 180gr B-tip bullet has a thicker jacket. If that's the case then the bullet would stronger and be moving slower, thus, should have less violent upset and better penetration.

Maybe someone from Nosler could verify this.

This is a true statement. Nosler redesigned the 30 cal 180 gr BT, making it a very robust bullet that can be used for elk and moose.

From 30 cal 180 gr BT and up, these are very tough bullets. :wink:

JD338

From my experiences with a lot of game shot over the years,
the AccuBond will deliver all the energy of the B/T or any other non bonded bullet without blowing up and destroying a lot of meat to do it because it expands and sheds weight at a consistant rate.
Case in point, a cow elk I shot at 30 yards with a 3080 fps. AccuBond had an exit hold about the size of a half dollar and no more bloodshot meat than I would have expected from my 308 with a 150 gr. Sierra Game King at 2700 fps. yet the heart and lungs were destroyed by the hydrostatic shock. I have now taken 3 elk 3 deer and a hog with the accubonds and I have to say that they destroy far less meat than even the Partition, which has a tendancy to blow up the front half at velocities over 3000 fps.
I've gone thrue the learning curve and used every bullet made (seems like) even the swift A-Frames and the AccuBond stands head and shoulders above them at delivering energy while still penetratring to a point that I have only recovered 1 bullet that penetrated about 3 feet of bull elk stomach and chest.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Nice account Greg.
Reminds me of a story a few years back. A buddy and I were hunting antelope with our long shooters. We picked off two at 400 yards, Mine with a .284 160gr AB, his with a 150gr Sciracco, both leaving the muzzle around 3500. Exit holes on both the AB and Swift bullet were at half dollar. One antelope wouldn't leave, and as we were gutting ours, a gentleman with his grandson drove up asked if we would mind if they shot the straggle. I don't know why they asked us, but we were happy to see a new hunter get his first antelope. It was about a 90 yard shot 270win and factory loaded ammo with Nosler Partitions. :shock: :shock: It about took the front end off that little antelope. One shot, and it was one bloody mess....Something tells me the front end of the partitions are not as tough as they were id decades past.... :?

Probably would have made no difference if he placed his shot behind the shoulder....which didn't happen by the sounds of it.

Back