30-06 165 Accubond accuracy load

Scotty I knew you had it in you to get a 30-06 sooner or latter.
My father gave my son a pre war M70 marked 30-GOV before he got sick and my brother hounded him very hard for the gun. One day I took it home for Dad to hunt with and my brother took it from him and it got very ugly but I relented to keep peace in the family but haven't spoke to him since.
I would have offered load data for you but I'm using what everyone else has suggested and didn't want to repeat the same thing. But if you can't get the ABs to shoot the Hornady SP interlock will and is what I used most in mine.

Oh and if you can't get it to shoot don't put it back in the safe because I'll buy it from you for $1.98 :)>)

truck driver":3rh86v13 said:
Scotty I knew you had it in you to get a 30-06 sooner or latter.
My father gave my son a pre war M70 marked 30-GOV before he got sick and my brother hounded him very hard for the gun. One day I took it home for Dad to hunt with and my brother took it from him and it got very ugly but I relented to keep peace in the family but haven't spoke to him since.
I would have offered load data for you but I'm using what everyone else has suggested and didn't want to repeat the same thing. But if you can't get the ABs to shoot the Hornady SP interlock will and is what I used most in mine.

Oh and if you can't get it to shoot don't put it back in the safe because I'll buy it from you for $1.98 :)>)

You are very generous with your offer. I will keep that in mind... :lol:

Impressive to see 61 grains IMR4350 in a 30-06 case, I can barely get 59.5 grains in a 30-06 case with 155 Custom Competitions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelkdouglas":2nc3pitj said:
Impressive to see 61 grains IMR4350 in a 30-06 case, I can barely get 59.5 grains in a 30-06 case with 155 Custom Competitions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a drop tube with it. Just a touch of compression with the ABs.

Scotty that sure is a beautiful rifle and that 4x Leupold looks right at home. That is the same scope I have on my 30-06. Last time I shot my 30-06 at 500 yards I got a 3 1/2" 3-shot group! If I remember correctly my first group was about 7 or 8 Inches but I had been shooting for quite a long time with different rifles and different ranges and I was starting to get fatigued from concentrating and getting bucked around with the recoil. I made myself do one more group with that rifle because I knew it had the ability and I took my time more and made sure my form and position were good and there you go. You aren't getting the same velocity don't forget my 1B has the 26" barrel! I'm guessing yours is 24 or 22".

I really think the 4x is a great scope for that rifle. Nothing would be wrong with a fixed 6x either though! You mention the 165 gr. bullet in the 30-06. That is the only weight bullet I have EVER shot in either of my two 30-06 rifles. Now if I get to go on that grizzly bear hunt in 2019 or 2020 like I am working so hard on getting set up, I might have to do what Guy did and try some 200 gr. Accubonds or Partitions!! But then again I'm thinking I should take that special 280 AI I had put together and one my father told me to do before he passed away. He wanted me to do something special for myself and I took his advise.

David

Well, I went out and shot the three loads that I think have some promise. I am not sure if I did them justice fully, but they all shot pretty decent. No benchrest for any of this, just laid out prone in the back of my 3500 with bags. It was about 80 degrees today and humid as well get out..

First up was 59.1

and finally 61.1

All of them exhibited a little bit of wanting to be seated a little deeper, but I was pretty happy. Those targets I have weren't awesome for the 4X scope, but you gotta make hay while the sun is shining..

I did make a fatal flaw in that I only loaded 5, should've loaded 6 since I had the other target out at 250 refining some zeros on my other rifles, so again, I said to heck with it and shot two shot groups. Worked out fine to get the zero at 250 decently close.

I think I am in the ballpark with the 60 and 61.1 load to be honest. I think with some better targets that I can see a bit better I could get better results. Overall though, I think I could probably put a 1/4 turn down on the seater and load 20 and have a huntable load as it sits.

David, I think you have a ripper in that 280 Ackley and a 30-06 running that 165 AB at 2900+ would be just fine for me to hunt mountain grizzlies.. Plus I know how much you love them and you shoot like the devil... I mean you use a 6mm and 25-06 for elk, that's about the equivalent of jumping to a 458 Win Mag with the 280 and 30-06, so I'd bet you'd be fine. :mrgreen:

That load will hunt, Scotty. The rifle is pulling hard to be carried in the field this fall.

Hey Scotty,
I've loaded and hunted with 165 BT bullets in my 30-06 too. I'm using Win cases with CCI-250 primers. My load was H4350 and I believe the charge was 59.0 grains producing 2860 fps from a 22" barrel Rem 700.

The 165 BT is an impressive deer killer too. I think some rifles, at times, like one bullet weight over others for some reason. Mine likes 165 and 180 bullets equally well.

I did try Hunter in a few test loads with 165 BT and was getting close to 3,000 fps but decided on H4350.
Since having switched over to the 180 BT, I'm getting 2,788 fps now from the same gun, same brass and primer. using H4350, powder charge is 58 something without looking.

Don

I think I’m going to shorten them a 1/4 turn and check them again. I’ve got Hunter and I’ve got 180 Accubonds so I could go there I suppose. Maybe I’ll load up some of the 180’s and see what happens. They were pretty speedy with RL16.

TXbaldhunter":2fntyqm6 said:
Try 59.5 or 60.0grs of Hunter,with a magnum primer.

I will if I can’t tune in this 4350. Right now I’m being hard headed and wanna see what seating does. I don’t need a speed demon in this one. I’ve got Hunter standing by though.

Have you tried dropping down to 58.0gr or 58.5gr of IMR-4350?That is where I find my best accuracy is.I just started using magnum primers a few years ago in everything 308Win up.Find it to be a pain always switching back and forth.See just as good of accuracy too.

I haven’t tried dropping back down that low. It’s about 2700 and change in this gun. Figure I’ll just run 180’s if I’m at 2700. I think I can make it work. It’s a little disservice to the rifle cause I believe off of a bench I’d probably do a bit better but I’ve kinda gotten to like shooting prone since it’s probably how I most shoot in the field.

Scotty I don't remember seeing what length barrel is on the rifle and wondering if your seeing lower velocities due to a 22" barrel, if that's the case you may be at the fastest velocity the barrel will produce.

truck driver":3bi0eutn said:
Scotty I don't remember seeing what length barrel is on the rifle and wondering if your seeing lower velocities due to a 22" barrel, if that's the case you may be at the fastest velocity the barrel will produce.

TD, It’s a danged P64 Featherweight.... probably the fastest rifle out there... :lol:

Being a lil serious, with the other P64’s I’ve owned and a few others others have owned they have taken larger charges than normal. Most seem to think it’s cause they were probably a touch oversize. My 338 was .3395’ish when I checked it a few years back and the 270 came out to about .278 or so.

I’m not too concerned. I’m sure I could change to RL17 and make 2900, no sweat but I hate losing and I won’t let this one get me.

Scotty for some reason I thought the P64 Feather Weights had 22" barrels and the sporter 24".
An over size bore would account for the slow velocity and a flat base bullet might seal the barrel a little better since you do get some gas loss with a boat tail and the shorter baring surface.

truck driver":1dn6fabz said:
Scotty for some reason I thought the P64 Feather Weights had 22" barrels and the sporter 24".
An over size bore would account for the slow velocity and a flat base bullet might seal the barrel a little better since you do get some gas loss with a boat tail and the shorter baring surface.

You are exactly right, it is a 22" barrel TD.

I am pretty sure I am okay getting nearly 2900 with the 165 as it sits. I could probably try another bullet, but until I really get burned out and can't do anything else with it, I don't like to give up on bullets.. Hard headed...

I did load up some of the 180 AccuBond loads that have shot well in the past as well and will try them at 250 as well. Kinda make an assessment after that. Should get a chance to try it this week if the rain holds out.

Yeah the rain has me grounded also, kind of wish I had one of those magneto speed chronographs when the weather is like this but can't justify having two chronographs when one will do what I need.

Interesting thing about rifles and rifle barrels and the preferences they have for various bullets. My SAKO loves 180 accubonds but does not prefer the 165 grain accubonds. The SAKO does like 165 Partition and I am planning on using the Partition on a Wyoming mule deer hunt in a few weeks.
Here is some data from the SAKO with a 22.5 inch barrel and a magneto speed chronograph.IMG_1035.jpg
56.8 RL17 165 NOS PT

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 297
56 grains of rl17 and the 165 A-Bond in Norma cases and a cci 200 primer for me. My Kimber Classic Select and a Bartlein barreled Remington both love this recipe.

Back