.30-06 168 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip favorite loads?

pharmseller

Handloader
Feb 13, 2012
I have Ramshot Hunter, Big Game, Varget, and W760 powder to try. Anyone have a favorite load using these powders?

P

I use 57.5 grs of IMR 4350 with the 168 Nosler BT's. Accuracy is excellent to 300 yards and velocity is approx. 2860 fps.

Oldtrader3":wsreo4oa said:
I use 57.5 grs of IMR 4350 with the 168 Nosler BT's. Accuracy is excellent to 300 yards and velocity is approx. 2860 fps.

Thanks for letting me know about IMR 4350.

Does anyone have experience using the powders I specified?

P

Doesn't help I know but mine loves 59.0g of H4350 for just over 2900fps.

Sorry I don't have experience with any of those powders with that bullet save for Varget and I maxed out around 2750fps.

Work up to it. 51.9 grs 760 with the 168 gr bullet. Runs average 2700 fps and accurate.

Nosler said they didn't test Hunter with 168 BT, but Ramshot did. Max is 60.5.

P

What I'm about to say likely won't help you much, if at all.
I'm trying a new powder with two different bullets in my 30-06. There's not a lot of data for IMR 4451 out there. I got the data from IMR using a Sierra bullet and then called Barnes as I want to use the 180gr TTSX. Barnes was nice enough to advise me to use the Sierra data for their bullets.
You're lucky in that the powder company tested your exact powder and bullet if I read correctly. I'd go with the powder companies data and feel pretty safe doing so.
Start low and work your way up.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I was testing some 165 Ballistic Tips last year for velocity only from my 30-06 Rem 700, 22" barrel. I seated the bullets the length of the magazine.

I was using Win. Brass, CCI-250 Mag primers.
loaded up 59, 60,61 & 62.0 grains of Ramshot Hunter Powder. Had no pressure issues in 80-degree temperature.

62.0 produced nearly 3,000 fps. Just I haven't revisited those loads since then.

Hope this helps. Work up slowly looking for pressure issues as you go.

Don

DON":1cbcuoab said:
I was testing some 165 Ballistic Tips last year for velocity only from my 30-06 Rem 700, 22" barrel. I seated the bullets the length of the magazine.

I was using Win. Brass, CCI-250 Mag primers.
loaded up 59, 60,61 & 62.0 grains of Ramshot Hunter Powder. Had no pressure issues in 80-degree temperature.

62.0 produced nearly 3,000 fps. Just I haven't revisited those loads since then.

Hope this helps. Work up slowly looking for pressure issues as you go.

Don

3K, that's faaaast!

I'd be happy with accuracy at 2875. My Tikka seems to be a little on the slow side but I'll work my way up to pressure, then back off.

P

I always used 57.0 grs IMR4350 with the 165 gr PT for great speed and accuracy.

JD338

Group-30-06-1.jpg

This is a not untypical group shot with 165 Nosler PT's at 100 yrds in my Model 70 .30-06. The load is 57.5 IMR 4350 with Fed 215 primer.

Cannot help with your powders but 57.4 grs of IMR4350 and 165 gr. Partitions & Accubonds really perform well for me.

I must say that using Hunter Powder I never got the opportunity to check the velocity in colder temps to compare the 3K I got in 80-degree temps let alone the accuracy, as I'm sure there will be a drop off in velocity.

I love the accuracy Ballistic Tips provide but pushing them at that speed could give some issues with fragmentation, maybe, depending on the shot.

This past Deer Season while using my current load, 165 BT @ 2830 fps I killed two Deer, both shots encountered bone on the frontal shoulder area due to hurried shots, it was either take the shot or eat tag soup. It was a like a bomb went off inside both deer, lots of damage but more than normal. Having said that the BT is excellent encountering rib cage shots, just stay away from bone.

As for me, I'm moving up to a 180 Partition for next Deer Season, just need to get to start the load development process now.

Don

Did anyone ever figure out what the difference is between a 308 165 BT and a 308 168 BT? I understand the Custom Comp, but why another hunting ballistic tip only 3 grains heavier?

pharmseller":3jslrzru said:
I have Ramshot Hunter, Big Game, Varget, and W760 powder to try. Anyone have a favorite load using these powders?

P

I worked a load up in my friends 06 with H414 same as 760 with 165's I never ran it over the Chrony but if my memory serves me right it was Nosler book max and COAL went under an inch. I think the charge was 56 gr don't quote me and work up to it.

NWBlacktail":3si3708z said:
Did anyone ever figure out what the difference is between a 308 165 BT and a 308 168 BT? I understand the Custom Comp, but why another hunting ballistic tip only 3 grains heavier?

I emailed Nosler and never got a response. After seeing the cross cut, the 168 appears to have a thicker jacket and was designed for magnums I have read. It has a higher BC as well, but I always wondered why no 168-NAB too then?

hunting1":2bjeqnpn said:
NWBlacktail":2bjeqnpn said:

I emailed Nosler and never got a response. After seeing the cross cut, the 168 appears to have a thicker jacket and was designed for magnums I have read. It has a higher BC as well, but I always wondered why no 168-NAB too then?

Probably because the 168 NAB wouldn't perform much differently than the BT. Same reason we don't see a 120 NAB in 7mm, the 120 BT is so stout the NAB wouldn't be a significant improvement.

P

DON":q7yxm0ic said:
As for me, I'm moving up to a 180 Partition for next Deer Season, just need to get to start the load development process now.

Don

Don't think there's much a 180 gr Partition from a .30-06 can't handle. I'd look at that as pretty much a perfect elk & bear combo.

Have always been satisfied with the 165 gr Noslers for deer sized game, BT's or Partitions. H4350 is my powder of choice, but many others do a fine job as well.

I do have some of those new-fangled E-Tips on hand, if somebody decides I can't hunt with lead core bullets anymore...

Guy

nvbroncrider":2qk4xm3h said:
pharmseller":2qk4xm3h said:

P

I worked a load up in my friends 06 with H414 same as 760 with 165's I never ran it over the Chrony but if my memory serves me right it was Nosler book max and COAL went under an inch. I think the charge was 56 gr don't quote me and work up to it.

I loaded 56.0 gr. of W760 and the 165 gr. AccuBond for my 30-06 and it took a cow elk very nicely. My rifle has a 1 in 12" twist 24" barrel and the velocity was 2730 FPS average. ES was 32 FPS. Didn't have time before the hunt to try for higher velocity. Accuracy was very good averaging an inch or slightly less. That rifle absolutely hates 180 gr. Spitzers. Might have to try a round nose in it someday. :shock: :lol:
Paul B.

Back