30-06 Ackley Improved really humming

GSSP

Beginner
Aug 11, 2005
The following is a set of reloading options and techniques which, take it or leave it, is outside the normal thinking when it comes to reloading. I was turned onto this idea by a gentleman on www.accuratereloading.com. At first, like many, I was skeptical and unbelieving. With an open mind, questions to the right people, research and actual testing, it worked for me. Your mileage may vary. (YMMV)

After more than 30 years of shooting the 30-06 in 22” barrels, I wanted more velocity but without too much hassle or changing calibers. The 30-06 Ackley Improved seemed to be the ticket….for me! Since I was going to start with a new barrel and it is impossible to add barrel length, I started with a 26” stainless steel barrel by Dan Lilja of Plains, MT. It ordered a 1:11 twist, which Dan assures me, will handle up to 200 grain bullets and has 3 wide grooves instead of the more traditional 5 or 6 narrow grooves. I had Ian Jensen of American Fork, Utah (Ian was the gunsmith at Barnes Bullets until he recently took a new job somewhere back in the Midwest), chamber, thread, crown and install my barrel into my 1982 Remington M700 action, which had had a 22” 30-06 Mag-na-ported barrel. With that old 22” barrel, the fastest 180 grain load I ever put together was 2750 fps. It had worked for years on numerous elk, deer and antelope, but I wanted MORE!

The concept is to use more powder in the case. Gee, what’s so new about that? But, there is a “room” issue; as in their isn’t enough of it. Well, the Ackley improvement adds a bit. My Winchester cases add 4 grains of water after they had been fire formed. So, theirs a bit more powder. But then, many people have done the 30-06 Ackley improvement and not hit 3100 fps with 180 grain bullets in 26” barrels. I understand the SAAMI pressure issue and comparing apples to apples when keeping pressures the same.

The trick is slow powder, or should I say a powder which is slower than those traditionally used powders. Traditional powders like H414, W760 and WXR, the N*50/*60 series, the 4350’s, Reloader 19 and 22, Ramshot Hunter, AA 3100, Norma MRP and the 4831 series. Don’t get me wrong, some of these powders are very good. Nosler notes how in the standard 30-06, 61 grains of Reloader 22 pushes a 180 grain bullet to 2872 fps and 62 grains of Reloader 22 pushes the same 180 grain bullet to 2985 fps in the Ackley Improved version; both in a 24” Lilja barrel with 1:10 twist; makes me wonder if Lilja barrels are fast.

The powders I’m talking about are Reloader 25, MRP-2, Magnum, IMR 7828/ssc, H1000 or N165. Rationally, these are magnum powders. Hey, if we’re talking about pushing a 180 bullet at 3000-3100 fps, we are talking magnum territory.

I’m going to talk about Reloader 25 as this is “the” powder for my ’06 Ackley. There is no loading data available for Reloader 25 in the 30-06 Ackley, at least none that I know of. The data I was given is from the gentleman over on www.accuratereloading.com. He first used Quick Load then did his own testing. He gave me a bunch of his data. From there I tested it.

If you look in most reloading manuals, the traditionally slow powders are usually compressed loads. There are differing opinions on whether or not compression is good or bad. I’m not going into that. The reloading manuals compress “a little” compared to what I’m going to talk about.

I’m talking about putting up to 70-71 grains of Reloader 25 into a 30-06 Ackley case; right up to the top of the neck. Again, in the beginning, I really balked at this. I’d read an article two years ago by Rick Jamison in an early 2005 issue or Shooting Times. In it, he brings to light, the then new, IMR 7828ssc. He says that if one wants to increase velocity, one needs to increase the powder charge weight. To do that, the neat new thing about the super short cut version of IMR 7828 is that you get more into a case. He was able to get 4 more grains of it into a 22-250 case. When used with heavy bullets the velocities can climb. “Ok” thought I! More powder gets more speed but what about all that compression and will it hurt something?

I called Hodgdon and talked to a tech. Without mentioning any cartridge specifics I asked some questions. I did this because I didn’t want any standard answers coming my way without him actually thinking about the question. I asked in general terms how one could increase velocity. “Add more powder within reason” was his answer. I asked if compressed load were “ok”. “Yes” he said. I asked if compressing powder too much was a bad thing. “Sure” he said. I asked how a person could compress powder too much. He said “by using something like a wooden dowel to really compact, tamp and bang the powder down into the case”. What happened then, I asked. He said that “the powder grain structure could be broken or cracked. The grains which are damaged could/would burn different than the original design and affect the burn structure of the load. I then went on to ask if one were to slowly dribble in powder via a drop tube until the level reached as high as, perhaps, the mid portion of the neck or even the top of the neck and the only compression provided to the powder was via normal bullet seating, would their be any problems or damage to the powder grain structure? “No! It should be fine” he said.

After the phone call, I started thinking this through and ended up asking the gentleman over on www.accuratereloading.com how he was able to get and keep that much powder into the case without the bullet being pushed back up/out to destroy the intended OAL. “Extra neck tension” he said. “How do I get it” I asked. He used his FL sizing die without the expander in place. Yes his necks were very tight but it worked.

So far, I’ve been able to get and keep the neck tension I need with nothing more than the Lee Neck Collet die and the standard .3055” decapping mandrel. I’ve gotten up to 70.7 grains of Reloader 25 under the Nosler 180 Ballistic Tip and 69.9 grains under the Speer 180 Hot Core spitzer before hitting hard bolt lift and ejector mark pressure signs and that’s with my bullets .010” into the lands. Of course I worked up from 62.4 grains, in .4 grain increments. Cases were COW fire formed Winchester cases and Federal 210M primers.

I ran several 300 yard Audette Ladders with both bullets seated .005” into the lands. All the brass was match prepped and only brass with necks .0015” or less in thickness variation was used. I settled on 68.6 gr (2/3rd the way up the neck) for the Nosler 180 BT and then ran a seating depth test seating the bullets .005” deeper. When I hit .015” off the lands the groups shrank considerably. At 300 yards I was getting 3-shot groups running between .5” to .75” MOA and 3060 fps. For the record the original .005” “into the lands” load was also .75” MOA; all this from a barrel whose 26” muzzle is .542” in diameter.

I think I’ve got a shooter and a load to boot!

You sir, are onto something that should be entered into carefully. It appears that you have done your homework, and that it is working out well for you. I may know the fellow you reference. There are a couple of guys I know who have played extensively with the .30-06, and the .30-06 AI, and are getting rather serious muzzle velocity from the old warhorse.

A lot of slow burning powder. More than one might think possible.

A long barrel, at least 26" - although even longer helps... Those three-groove Liljas are turning up in the most interesting rifles...

Great stuff, and I'm impressed with all the research and work you've put into this. Not however something that just anybody should try without going through all the steps...

Nicely done! Me, I'm keeping my '06 at the 2700 fps level with good 180 grain bullets. It does what I want it to do!

Guy,

I'm guessing you are referring to "Ackley Improved User". He mentored me through this process; Also M98. I've been conversing with M98 a lot lately. Has even called me a few times from Australia. I'm helping him obtain about $1800 worth of various Barnes bullets via my FFL.

With Rel 25, it would be hard to get into pressure trouble; not impossible, just hard. I have a feeling most reloaders are not going to feel comfortable compressing a 1/2 to full neck full of propellant. One needs to have a very smooth seating stem cup otherwise it will "grab" the bullets and pull them right out of the neck.

That's one impressive velocity for an 06 size case. I know the efficiency of an ackleyrized cartridge are legendary, but this goes beyond that. My 300 Win Mag is hard press to equal that velocity. I would like to see 10 shot string data, if you have records for it, I'm interested in knowing the percentage of the SD, MAD, and ED if you don't mind. The 3 grove barrel has a lot to do with it in my opinion. My 308 with 3 grove Pac-Nor Supermatch, 12 twist barrel delivered more velocity with less powder when compared with a conventional 6 grove barrel. I believed the 3 grove with less bearing surface, has less friction for bullet to overcome when traveling through the barrel, resulting in higher velocity. The resultant BC is even more impressive when shooting at long ranges. I found that out shooting two types of bullet in my 308, using the factory published BC data - I detected no changes in BC all the way to 800 yards. That's unbelievable, considering that the factory data is not absolute. One of my hunting buddy just build an 06AI using a 26" K&P barrel, 10 twist on Winchester Model 70 Action. I'll keep tab on how this rifle will perform on games, especially at long range. I might built one myself. :wink:

i think your revisiting what the old load and cartrage developers did when developing the weatherby cases, winchester, rem mag cases. they designed the case to hold the best volume of 870 powder to bullet weight for each particular bore. basicly, fill the case to the base of the neck with a very slow powder, to get the max gas push in a big case with a long barrel.

GSSP, what primer are you using & if you tried more than 1, std. vs mag, etc., what did you see in the way of pressure differences?

GSSP":3q14r9n7 said:
Guy,
I have a feeling most reloaders are not going to feel comfortable compressing a 1/2 to full neck full of propellant. One needs to have a very smooth seating stem cup otherwise it will "grab" the bullets and pull them right out of the neck.

I've messed with compressing powders in my 358 Win. I've had problems with crushing the shoulder, and also with the powder pushing the bullet back out. The shoulder is rather small on a 358, it's true.

-jeff

So whats the velocity with that RL 25 load? Did you try a drop tube?

Finally having been there and done that I am now stuck with three improved chambers. Not that it was not fun when I got them. One of them is a 30-06 improved. No knowing what the pressures are?

I get 75 fps more out of my 30-06 improved. :roll:

Nomosendero,

I've only used the Fed 210M so far. I'm sure, given the time, I'll try different primers but this thing is giving me what I've asked of it thus far.

Something of note, I'm not seeing any pressure signs on the primers. Sure, their flattening but the firing pin diameter and firing pin hole in the bolt are where they need to be thus no cratering. Also, with the Lee collet neck die, I'm getting a good chamber fit with the brass, so the primer does not have a chance of backing out.

Jeff,

What do you think the shoulder crushing is attributed to? To prevent the compressed bullet from pushing the bullet back out you will need to use an increased neck tension.

Savage99,

I do use the Forster 6" drop tube to very "slowly" trickle in the powder. Start with about 64 gr of Rel 25 and work up in .3 to .4 grain increments, watching your velocity and pressure as you go. Depending upon bullet, seathing depth and distance from the lands, you should be able to hit 70-71 grains in a strong, modern action. My 26" 3-groove Lilja barrel is giving me 3060 fps with 68.4 gr. I've hit 3100 fps with 70.7 gr but was showing pressure signs via stiff bolt lift and ejector marks. I also mic my case heads to the nearest .0001" for those who wonder.

GSSP":1u9fyyaq said:
Jeff,

What do you think the shoulder crushing is attributed to? To prevent the compressed bullet from pushing the bullet back out you will need to use an increased neck tension.

The crushing is simply from all the force it takes to cram the bullet into all that powder! :) Understand, the 358 does not have much of a shoulder to begin with and I have found it to be a very easy case to deform with the above, or if aggressively crimping a cannelure.

RL7 saved my butt in that caliber. No danger of running out of room with that powder and the velocity is great!

-jeff

Back in the Jan-Feb 81 issue of Handloader Magazine, Author Ettes was making some significant velocity progress
into the upper 2900s with 180 gr bullets in the 30-06 Ack Improved. Best powders were H-205, MRP, and IMR 4350.
IMR 4350 produced excellent accuracy, and seems to do its best work at highest velocity-as to accuracy.
Just brushing under 3K fps is fine enough for me. He used an Oehler chronograph to document his work. RL 22 might
really work well now, as some of these powders like H-205 and MRP are discontinued unless found on back shelves
in the outback. The irony is that his Remington 700 had only a 22 inch barrel. An extra 2 inches or so might have carried him into at least 300 H&H territory.

I take a different direction with my custom M-98 Mauser 06 Ackley. Have been successful trying to almost duplicate the ballistics
of a .318 Westley Richards, similar to the one carried by WDM "Karamojo" Bell in Africa. That is, pushing extra heavy bullets
at moderate velocities. Bell with his 250 gr bullets reached about 2100 fps with cordite in his .318.

I use the older 225 gr Barnes, 220 gr Nosler or Hornady 220s. The better bullets-like Nosler- make up a little for the lost .318 weight,
and the velocity is upped to about 2350-2400 fps. I have used some extra H-450 or H-870. With magnum primers and extra bullet weight,
the extra slow powders start to come into their own with a 24 in barrel and are a bit more effective on dangerous game, like bears near my homestead land in Alaska.

{This is older material, but there is only so much out there on the 30-06 Ack IMP. Mine came this way with a good B&L scope. No extra work or expense.}

Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato

Last edited:
I have used the heavier 220 gr Nosler and 225 gr Barnes with H-450 and H-870 with some success, as the extra slow powders do
respond to heavier bullets. With magnum primers, these slow powders and extra heavy bullets do get close to the ballistics of a 318 Westly Richards.
The Jan-Feb 81 article in Handloader Magazine was one of the best written on the 30-06 Ackley Improved.

I tried something similar with a 280 at
One point. Sierra tech provided some load info at that time. While I could get
More Velocity, accuracy went out the window. I have not tried the slow powder system since. . .

The 30-06 is an amazing cartridge case.The bore size an case capacity makes it a very efficient powder burner.The bigger magnum cases can produce greater velocities,but it requires more powder and they are not as efficient at gaining velocity per grain of powder.Another thing that has changed over the years is we have some new powders that can produce some amazing velocities over some powders without extreme pressures.All powders are different.They are treated with different chemicals in their manufacturing process.The weight by volume of the powder varies a lot between the different powders.That's how you can get way more grains of certain powders in the cartridge case than others.Here is a link on Progressive burning smokeless powders. https://www.freepatentsonline.com/2201640.html
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/2201640.pdf
Some powders work well with lighter weight bullets.Some powders work well with a wide range of bullets.Some powders really work well with the heavier weight bullets.All barrels are different too.Most 30-06's have 22-24" barrels.I personally don't like the 22" barrel 30-06.I didn't like the muzzle jump.I like a longer barrel much better.A 24" is a good handling length and the 30-06 does well with this length.I would like to see more 26" barreled 30-06's.I think it's really the ideal length to get the most gain out of this cartridge and still making it a good handling rifle.A lot of the magnum cartridges are equipped with 26" barrels to get their best velocity gain,so why not with the 30-06.The AI or Gibbs case can tweek the original 30-06 case and gain some velocity and still maintain the case powder burning efficiency.
,but it also requires a little more work if you have to form your cases for the extra gain.You can also do a lot with the standard case with the right powder or increasing the barrel length.And then you also reach the point with the 30-06 when enough is enough and do you really need more to get the job done anyway.I never shot too many 180gr bullets in my 30-06's,mostly 165-168gr.Figured the 180gr would be better used in my 300 magnums.Playing with the slower powders out of my 28",5 groove Pacnor barrel 30-06 with the 180gr really gives me near magnum performance.I used Winchester cases,WLRM primers with these loads:
63.5grs Reloader 26 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip 3021fps
62.0grs Winchester WXR(Same powder as Reloader 22,just different powder lot) 180gr AccuBond 2997fps
59.0grs Ramshot Hunter 180gr AccuBond 2923fps.

Last edited:
The results you’ve attained is impressive to say the least. The amount of research and testing is above and beyond what most would invest. I will also say that this load data and results is specific to your action, barrel, brass, and other components ONLY. I also agree that it would probably be tough to get into pressure trouble with 7828 in a 30-06 case, improved or not. But wow, that’s a lot of compression. You’re turning powder into solid rocket fuel. Lol. I say that half joking, half giving food for thought. Regardless it’s working well in your rig and you’ve put the time in with it.

Edit: If I sounded like I was being negative I definitely was not. If it seemed so, my apologies. You’ve truly gotten “Wow” results. I always have 7828 on hand as well. A greatly underutilized powder IMO.

Last edited:
I can see 7828 working well in the standard 30-06 or 30-06 AI with heavier bullets,just never tried it myself.I have some in a metal can that's about 30yrs old,but it's still good,may have to give it a try once the weather gets cooler.These constant 100 degree temps are not good for testing loads.I tried Reloader26 in my 30-06 with 168gr bullets and I was not impressed,but with 180gr and 200gr bullets,Wow,impressive.I'm getting great results with the Winchester WXR powder with 180gr bullets out of my rifle.7828 is just a tad slower on the burnrate scale.

With bullets weights starting with 1s it’s hard to be RL-17 in the 30-06. H4350 is another one.

Back