30-06 AI

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
Anyone here load for the 30-06 AI and if so is it worth it over the standard 30-06? I have been toying with the idea of getting another barrel for my Savage or having the chambered opened up for the AI.

Corey

Mine did about 2825 fps with a 180 Hornady with rl 22. Now this was with a Boss Winchester model so this was I think 21.5" tube without the Boss. Pretty nice chambering overall. No difference from standard 300 Win Mag factory loads if your AI has a 24" tube.

My current barrel is just over 21". I think going to another barrel might be the way to go.

Corey

C.Smith,

I had a 30-06 AI made up. I can't see any significant improvement. A few more grains goes in and thats about all. Its more of a hobby thing than anything.

Here am I telling you not to do it and I had the 'fun' of it. So it goes.

Bottom line of it all common sense wise is to save your money.

I ai'd my Rem 700 with a 24" bbl and got 170 fps more out of a 165gr AB/BT.
Not bad for $90.00. My accuracy didn't change either. Still 1/2" @ 100yds.
My 06 went from 2800 and change to near 3000fps (no pressure signs and accurate) with the 165gr bullet.
From what I understand, you won't realize the benifits of the AI conversion until you shoot the heavier bullets like the 180gr and up.

I say Ai the thing and have some fun.

I had an old Rem 700 BDL in 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel that was just laying around collecting dust. It was just so so in the accuracy dept and I found it rather boring to say the least.

I decide to spruce it up a bit with a wild and crazy laminated stock and an AI conversion. My gunsmith did the conversion for $125 and the stock cost about $150.

I really like how it turned out and the 30-06 AI is a blast to load for. Velocities with the old chamber ran about 2800fps with 180gr bullets before pressure signs reared their ugly head. With the Ackley the 180 Partitions run just over 2900fps and the accuracy is outstanding. If I keep the pressures down so as not to open up the primer pockets I do believe this brass will last longer than I will.

I like my Ackley and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Take a look at Nosler #5 or #6 for the '06 AI. You'll see that the AI really shines with a 180 grain or heavier bullet.

I've got one with a 24 inch barrel that shoots the 180g Part's and AB's at 2950 fps with RL22.

I think the real benefit to the AI over the standard is that the AI doesn't stretch as much and it headspaces well due to the shoulder angle vs the shallow angle of the standard version.

You have to be carefull because of the straighter sidwalls you can load this baby up and not see pressure signs.

Thanks for all the great responses. It had me really wanting to do it now. I have been using 165 grain accubonds but have been thinking of the 180 but did not like the velocities with the standard 3006.

Corey

Back