30-06 and moose

beretzs":92hbp68n said:
It would be pretty hard to top the 30-06 with the Nosler Partition. I would think for worldwide service, it would get the job done. Scotty

absolutely!

Richracer1":3omr6z2l said:
My uncle uses an old Rem pump 30-06 and 165gn bullets for all his big game hunting. This includes his bull moose taken a few years ago. He took a cow elk at 400yds last fall using the same rifle/bullet set up.
That in itself is a great feat and speaks volumes about the cartridge & his marksmanship.
JDMAG

JDMAG":3palzve8 said:
Richracer1":3palzve8 said:
My uncle uses an old Rem pump 30-06 and 165gn bullets for all his big game hunting. This includes his bull moose taken a few years ago. He took a cow elk at 400yds last fall using the same rifle/bullet set up.
That in itself is a great feat and speaks volumes about the cartridge & his marksmanship.
JDMAG

He doesn't use Nosler bullets, but he has taken a lot of animals with this combo over the years. I only hope I can shoot like him. I forgot to mention that 400yd shot was off his knee. That cow elk absolutely refuse to die as he tracked her for 1.5 - 2 miles. Had to finisher her off with the 44mag. The initial shot was well placed too.

Elk can be surprisingly tough. I watched a bull this past fall that was shot three times with a 376 Steyr and twice with a 325 WSM before it went down. Some just have a will to live that defies logic.

I agree hat the 180 PT will kill the moose everytime with reasonable shooting. But in my opinion Accubonds is better in standard velocities and TSX in magnum velocities.

So in 30.06 I vote 200 or 180 AccuBond.

I know everyone has a different opinion, but a shot in the lungs and hard from an expanding bullet is fatal. I have seen some pretty severe gunshots from FMJ's. Some where you think there is no way they could survive. One guy was shot through and through under the armpit and came out the other side about 6-7" lower in the chest. The bullet actually entered the chest and followed the sternum around and missed the lungs/heart. The guy is still alive today. Pretty amazing, BUT if it had hit lungs or any bone, he would not have probably made it. When an animal is hit in the lungs, it cannot live for more than a few minutes. I don't like to say can't, but if your brain cannot get oxygen, you will not function for long. Elk/moose/bear/deer don't have corpsman to put chest tubes and stop the bleeding. Plus, bullets do funny things when hitting tissue. When I hear that a guy knows he made a perfect shot, and it sounds reasonable, I tend to believe something "weird" happened with the projectile.

So again, a 30/06 that blasts into lungs with even minimal expansion is going to kill what you are shooting at. Break some bone and it is going to die faster. The Nosler Partition pretty much guarantees it will get inside, through bone and dismantle its circulatory system and probably exit and leave some blood to find it after it has ran out of oxygen.

Sorry for the longer post, I think the 30/06 with the 180 NP about as reliable as the sun coming up. The speed the projectile is launched, matched with good size makes for utter, repeated, reliability. Scotty

I have shot a frieghtcar full of Moose & Elk, mostly with Nosler Partitions. The majority of my Moose & Elk have been shot with the .308 diameter, 180 grain Partition. 30-06 has figured in about half the moose and a quarter of the elk. Never had to track any of them more than about 150 yards, and most were DRT. I heartily endorse the 30-06/180 Partition combo. It will do the job....just put it in the right place! Regards, Eagleye.

Dad let me graduate from the .22 rimfire to the .30-06 with his 1917 "Enfield" in about 1966 when I was just a kid in grade school. Big rifle for a little kid and it knocked the snot out of me! :grin:

I still have that rifle. We're on much better terms now, 40+ years later.

Have owned and used a lot of different rifles, but frankly, I haven't come across anything I couldn't have killed with that good old 80 year old rifle and decent bullets. Nosler Partitions qualify as decent bullets as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes I wonder why I got all those other rifles, but it has been fun learning about them.

Regards, Guy

Neat story Guy. Why does a dad ever think it is funny to watch a child (or a wife) react to recoil? Too many have done it. Glad you overcame the negative implications and continued on.

Yeah - I think Dad really thought I was ready for it. I wasn't!

He did a little thinking and moving up from the .22 rim fire, my next two guns were a 20 gauge shotgun and a 6mm Remington. He took into account the low recoil from those two guns. I still have both of them and hunt with them to this day.

The 6mm was the first centerfire rifle my sons shot. I didn't have a .223 for them to play with. It was a much better starter rifle than a .30-06! :grin:

The provision of newer materials on rifle pads (in contradistinction to metal and/or thin, hard rubber) is a great help for new and/or smaller shooters. Also, there seems to be a greater consciousness about stock design and the importance of length of pull for smaller stature shooters. I avoided introducing my children to rifles with substantial recoil, and I'm not sorry.

In that vein, I'm intrigued by the number of relatively new shooters that insist upon buying rifles with substantially more recoil than they have used to this point. Recently, I broke in a custom rifle for a young shooter. It was a 300 WM which shot honest 1/2 inch groups during break-in. He asked if he could come with me to shoot later, and I agreed.

It turned out that this is his first rifle, after a 22 rimfire. He shot 3 inch groups because of a pronounced flinch. When I asked why he had not built a 30-06 or a 308, he replied that he wanted a rifle that would do it all and this was the cartridge recommended. My thought is that this is another case of a new shooter that could be ruined because only a cartridge that produces significant recoil will work on moose and elk.

I recommended that since he had already dropped a sizable sum on the rifle that he should work with lighter bullets at least and reduced loads until he was comfortable with the recoil.

Enough of my rant. The 30-06 will work just fine on game throughout North America.

Not a Rant Dr. Mike, Just good advice.
Many shooter buy their custom super mag before they are ready for it. I imagine most of us on this forum started with a single-shot .22. Well, there's a reason for it.

Whilst I enjoy magnum calibres as much as anyone, we do a disservice to young shooters if we fail to tell them that their grandfathers did a fine job of bringing home the bacon with a 30-06, a 308, even a 30-30. Hunting should emphasise getting close enough to game to take it cleanly, which entails knowing your rifle and the cartridge used, and something about the anatomy of the game to be taken. It is very difficult to imagine that a 30-06 would not be sufficient for 95% of the game available on the North American continent.

Very popular here for Big Alaskan moose....favorite load of many

180 Nosler Part and 57.0 of IMR 4350

but alot of good factory loads......Barnes TSX, Win XP3 and AccuBond

I prefer the 338 Win due to range.....but once in awhile I carry a 30-06 or 270 Win. if the range is short.

Three loads for my 30-06 that have proven themselves for the task at hand.

165gr HPBT for Deer
180gr Pt for elk and also black bear
240gr Woodliegh moving at 2300-2350 for anything I want to kill. I have use it one time and it was on a boar that weighted almost 350 pounds (348 pounds). Now, it kicks pretty good but it seemed that when I hit the boar it looked like it lifted that boar off the ground. I know that sounds funny but that is what the event looked like. I was like hitting a coyote with a 165gr HP at 50yds which I have done and that was also some event to see.

It do love the 180gr Partition Protected Point in my 06, it is truly a bad bullet when it hits.

When I get through play with the 358Win I am going to develop a load for my 30-06 using the 220gr Partiton Semi Spitzer and it might replace my 240gr load if I can get the velocities and accuracy where I want them.

bullet":3cpc6bh4 said:
When I get through play with the 358Win I am going to develop a load for my 30-06 using the 220gr Partiton Semi Spitzer and it might replace my 240gr load if I can get the velocities and accuracy where I want them.
Well hurry up and let me know what you find out! :lol:

JDMAG":3fnzp3va said:
bullet":3fnzp3va said:
Well hurry up and let me know what you find out! :lol:

Well, the 358Win mag comes in tomorrow or Friday so I have not begun yet but soon and I am loaded up and ready to go. Now if you are talking about the 30-06 and the 220gr Part. That will be a month or so. :):)

Used a Browning BLR in 358 win for years....Sierra 225gr and IMR 4320 @ 47.0.

Back