30 06 and ramshot hunter powder

tkeveney

Beginner
Dec 22, 2008
Looks like Ramshot hunter is finally available again. I am going to try some with the 168 grain ballistic tips.

Has anyone tried this combination before? Velocity is supposed to be pretty good.

Thanks

Hunter is scarce in Canada. Every time I've found some, I snagged it. It is a great powder for "standard rifle cartridges.

My brother tried it once or twice.

Once he put a 168 NBT through the ear hole (hole, not ear) of a young bison. 160 yards or so, I filmed it.

Twice, this bull took three 168 NBT but it was dead after the first. He just needed convincing.

imagejpg2_zps5ddc74a7.jpg

.30-06, 60 grains Hunter, WLRM primer.

P

P - You used magnum primers with Ramshot Hunter? Sure can't argue with your results...

I've only messed with Hunter a little, showed promise with 180 & 185 gr bullets, but I never finished developing that load. Can't remember off the top of my head if I used magnum primers or not...

Guy

Well! I just got back from an errand, dropped by the local Sports Warehouse and found BOTH Hunter and N560! I have been looking for this stuff locally for over a year! ha No H4350 though, but I have plenty of it.

Guy Miner":244a57g2 said:
P - You used magnum primers with Ramshot Hunter? Sure can't argue with your results...

I've only messed with Hunter a little, showed promise with 180 & 185 gr bullets, but I never finished developing that load. Can't remember off the top of my head if I used magnum primers or not...

Guy

I use WLRM with ball powders in both .30-06 (Hunter) and 7mm-08 (Big Game).

I'd post some money shots but they get repetitive.

P

pharmseller":3up2q812 said:
Guy Miner":3up2q812 said:

Guy

I use WLRM with ball powders in both .30-06 (Hunter) and 7mm-08 (Big Game).

I'd post some money shots but they get repetitive.

P
I have read where magnum primers do work best with ball powders but never paid much attention to it till I started loading CFE223 and found my best groups were with either the old Winchester ( white box) primers which are hot or CCI 250M.
I have tried the Federal mag primer yet though I do have a bunch of them on the shelf. I sent all my Winchester mag primers( blue box ) back due to them rupturing and Win replaced them.

TD, about those rupturing WLRMs...we're they brass colored cups or the nickel plated variety?

RiverRider":1j7fh7fe said:
TD, about those rupturing WLRMs...we're they brass colored cups or the nickel plated variety?
They were brass and came in the blue sleeve. It's been several years ago now when I was loading for my M700 classic 35 Whelen. The cup would rupture out the side.

I also use magnum primers with TAC, Hunter and Big Game. John Barsness recommended their use and wasn't wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwess1113":2cq46c75 said:
I also use magnum primers with TAC, Hunter and Big Game. John Barsness recommended their use and wasn't wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's the one who suggested it to me.

P

That's my "one load to kill them all" for NA big game. I use WLRM primers & RP cases in a long throated rifle:

Thanks for all of your posts. I went back to Sportsman's warehouse to get the powder & they are out of it already.

At the rate Ramshot delivers product - we may not see it again for a while.

tkeveney":1xr1kbhp said:
Thanks for all of your posts. I went back to Sportsman's warehouse to get the powder & they are out of it already.

At the rate Ramshot delivers product - we may not see it again for a while.

Have you looked for it online?

P

Just for something to do - a couple of years ago I started messing with Hunter and 185 gr Berger VLD bullets for a longish range .30-06 mule deer load. It showed promise, and I think I'll tinker with it some more. Maybe try the magnum primers for a change. Possibly use a Wilson bullet seater this time and Nosler brass..

Not sure it will do anything my proven loads will do, but now and again, particularly in winter, I do like to play around with loads.

Guy

What are the speeds you guys are getting out of Hunter in your 30-06's? There finally is some available here in Canada so I may get another 30-06 again.

The little I did mess around with Hunter powder did show some promise!!

Rem. 700 30-06 22" barrel
Winchester cases
CCI 250 mag primers
165 Ballistic tips
Ramshot Hunter 59.0, 60.0 & 61.0
Lots of free bore, seated bullets length of magazine

Temps were high 70's to 80- degrees F.

Can't remember off hand which charge it was but think it was 60.0. Anyway, velocity was over 2950 fps with no pressure signs at all.

Don

Back