30-06 Load Re-Do - FINISHED!!!!

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
30-06 Load Re-Do

As I poured through a ton of notes having to do with bullet used, primers, brass, powder, COAL lengths, and chrony readings – I became over whelmed at the amount of data I had amassed along with the amount of components used, money spent, time and effort expended. WOW!!!!

What did I accomplish that has not already been tried by so many who pursued load development for the 30-06? NOTHING!!!!!! I did have fun though and in all honesty did learn more than my 30yrs of past load work with the 30-06.

I am not going to bore anyone with the mountain of detailed data I have accumulated in some gratuitous effort to demonstrate what already has been done by so many professionals/lay shooters, hunters, and reloaders.

So let me summarize what generally works in most if not pretty much all 30-06 rifles that can shoot good. As much as I love a 30-06 and you all know I do, you will find at least 30% of the time a 30-06 takes a lot of work to get it to shoot. What I have found with most factory rifles is that a 30-06 will shoot or it won't. Some will shoot just one load or one factory ammo and nothing else. As versatile as the 30-06 is, it can be a nightmare to get it to group tight. Now I have owned 14 30-06 rifles and loaded and helped a bunch of friends over 35yrs with their 30-06 loads and rifles and I am here to tell you that a 30-06 from the factory will either shoot or it won't. I know there are exceptions to all things but generally I have found this true.

Powders that I liked:

MRP = gave the highest velocities and had average to good hunting accuracy. I was able to achive 3020fps out of a 24” Mark V with a 165gr bullet using published data. Reached 2710fps with 208gr A-max out of a Ruger Hawkeye 22” barrel.

RL-22 = good hunting accuracy, and was able to reach 2829fps out of a Ruger Hawkeye 22” barrel with a 180gr bullet and 2607fps with a 220gr bullet out of same Ruger.

H4350 = gave outstanding to very excellent accuracy with 150, 165, 180 and 208 A-Max. Reached 2689fps with a 200gr bullet and outstanding accuracy. And 2836fps with 1/2” accuracy using a 180gr bullet with a Ruger Hawkeye. Reached 2987fps with a 165gr bullet and most accurate load tested in any of my 30-06 rifles in a Mark V 24” barrel having ¼’ accuracy.

IMR4350 = was very accurate in my Ruger Hawkeye pushing a 165gr bullet at 2854fps.

I tried these powders and the above mentioned powders I just happen to like the most. Powders used: Varget, IMR4320, AA2495BR, W-760, IMR4064, IMR3031, IMR4831, IMR4350, IMR4895, H4350, H4831, RL-15, RL-19, RL-22, Norma MRP

Bullets that I liked (these are by no stretch not all that I tried:

Sierra = G/K 165gr HPBT

Nosler = BT 180gr

Nosler = AccuBond 200gr

Hornady = A-Max 208gr

Seirra = Pro/Hunter 220gr RN

Woodliegh = 240gr PP

Primers used:

CCI200, CCI250, Rem 9 ½, Rem 9 1/2M, Fed 210, Fed 210M, Fed215M (I like the Fed 210M the best)

Brass used:

Winchester, Remington, Nosler (I like the Winchester brass the best)

Like I said, after all my work I discovered nothing really new under the sun when it comes to the 30-06 and loads, except components cost more today than they did in the past. I still had fun but I think that will do it for me and my load work for the 30-06 for the rest of my life. ☺

Great info, thanks. I recently looked through my grandfathers old reloading notes and after looking at his accuracy and hunting loads it mirrored what I found after many trips to the range.

I like what ya did Bullet. You have a comprehensive review of the 06 based on actual load testing. This could help a person new to loading the 06 or a veteran as well. Pretty much agree with with your final theriores as well. Very interesting work. thanks dude :wink: :wink:

And the .30-06 well after a 100 yrs. still seems to be the standard by how other rounds are judged or compared. And I do believe it is still is in top 3 for reloading die sales.. Still one of my favorites as well!!!

Dave

Glad you guys enjoyed the info, it was work but it was also fun. This is info over 4 year period using a Savage classic, Mark V and a Ruger Hawkeye with a real extra strong push doing a lot of load work since April.

First, there were three rifles mainly used in this last load work that began almost a year ago. A Savage Classic, Mark V and a Ruger Hawkeye all having 1&10 Twist with only the Mark V being a 24" barrel while the other two were 22".

Second, the 210M out preformed all the other primers across the board when used in the 30-06 with all weights of bullets as far as accuracy was concerned it was the over all winner but not in all cases as far as velocity but in most.

Third, I do not believe that one can make a blanket statement that the 165gr or 168gr is the best suited for the 30-06 - because my rifles preferred different weight bullets and when you consider that I am driving a 240gr bullet over 2500fps with devastating results on game, only makes the point for the 30-06 - whether you are using a 165gr or 180gr or 190gr or 200gr or 208gr or 220gr or 240gr being the most versatile of the 30 calibers with only the 300Win Mag in my opinion as a close second for an all around 30 cal cartridge.

So the question is what loads did you decide on for hunting use???? I have been waiting for the new info for weeks. Great summary

Elkman":1l0vejcz said:
So the question is what loads did you decide on for hunting use???? I have been waiting for the new info for weeks. Great summary

165gr Sierra HPBT for small to light medium game

180gr Ballistic as all around for small to heavy medium and large thin skin game

200gr AccuBond for long range on medium and large thin skin

220gr Sierra Pro/Hunter on large hogs, black bear and heavy game in thick cover

240gr Woodliegh on dangerous game and would be especially good on close quarter game of any kind.

Great data Mike. I look forward to getting a 30-06 one of these days, and like to store the data you have worked to compile so I have some base to start with. Scotty

beretzs":v5q9wqfc said:
Great data Mike. I look forward to getting a 30-06 one of these days, and like to store the data you have worked to compile so I have some base to start with. Scotty

Glad it helps and gives some folks a place to start and some new ideas to try.

im so glad to see theres still a passion for the 30/06 :) my first big game rifle was a rem 700 in the 30/06 from the pawn shop (used) and i do have to say that that rifle is about the only one i use for hunting large game here in NM.
i get a kick out of guys that think just because the caliber has been around for a long time that it just wont do anymore,,
thanks bullet for re-kindiling my love affare for the 06 :wink:

romex2121":16mu2vql said:
im so glad to see theres still a passion for the 30/06 :) my first big game rifle was a rem 700 in the 30/06 from the pawn shop (used) and i do have to say that that rifle is about the only one i use for hunting large game here in NM.
i get a kick out of guys that think just because the caliber has been around for a long time that it just wont do anymore,,
thanks bullet for re-kindiling my love affare for the 06 :wink:

My pleasure, was my privilege and fun.

That sounds like a lot of work, and a lot of great data. Thanks for all the info, I'm sure it will be most usefull.

Hello Bullet:

Great work and thank you for sharing it. I, however, believe you stopped one powder short. And that would be RL-17. You should really give this powder a strong, long look as it has out performed all others in my .30-06s.

Happy Shooting
Ryan46

You welcome POP

Ryan, I wanted to try some but has spent so much on components and was so tired by the time I finished this work, I did not want to see a 30-06 case for a while. I heard it is good stuff.

Bullet:

How much tolerance did you allow on head spacing & how far off the lands did you find to be the "sweet spot" on your rifles during your load development?

Ryan46
Happy Shooting

Ryan46":2wm97alw said:
Bullet:

How much tolerance did you allow on head spacing & how far off the lands did you find to be the "sweet spot" on your rifles during your load development?

Ryan46
Happy Shooting

I did not bump my shoulders on my brass back at all once I fired the initial new brass. I neck sized them. I found 3.340" as an all around OAL average did best.

Back