30-06 Nosler 180 Partitions, H4350 or Reloder 22

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
Recently I have improved the concentricity of my handloads by relocating the expander ball up where is should be in the sizing die and purchasing a Redding Competition Seater. I have been toying with both Reloder 22 and H4350 with the Nosler 180 Partitions. Yesterday the blind squirrel found a nut in the shape of a nice three shot group of 0.575" @ 100yds using Nosler annealed cases, CCI BR2 primer, 56.0 gr of H4350 under weight sorted Nosler 180 gr blemished Partitions. Bullets are seated @ 0.030" off the lands.

Prior to this I had done a sorta ladder test with different charges of Reloder 22, 58.4 gr - 62.0gr. and had 7 out of ten rounds with a horizontal dispersion less than 1". Bullets were also 0.030" off the lands. This may require another visit.

I am inclined to settle on the H4350 for this load if I can duplicate the results of yesterday, however I have a significant quantity of Reloder 22 on hand and less than 2 lbs of H4350.

I have not chronographed the H4350 loads but the point of impact is about an inch or less lower than Federal Premium Noster 180 Partition Factory loads on the target @ 100 yds.

Does anyone have experience with these two powders in a similar load that they are willing to share? I like the accuracy and temperature stability of H4350 but have not experienced a noteable problem with temperature sensitivity in Reloder 22.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Rol

I use 61.3 grains of MRP (same as RL-22) under a 180 grain AccuBond .050" from the lands. The primer is a CCI 200. I get great groups consistently with this load.

4350 or 4451 are also good choices.

Rol_P

H4350 is my GO-TO powder in .30-06 I have had such wonderful results with it in several rifles of my own and others that I hate to switch horses. I feel like IMR-4350 is a bit better with 150 grain and lighter bullets.

Its all in what your gun likes. The fact that the Federal FL stuff hits pretty much to the same place is a huge plus in my opinion. 56 grains readily fills the case to the heel of the 180 grain Partition so great consistency is found there.

RL22 is a great powder though it is not temp insensitive as you pointed out.

Dealer's choice really but I will highly vouch for the 4350! Its THE .30-06 powder in my opinion.

Good luck!

Dale

Congratulations on the results, Rol! Don't know that I have any experience that is better than what you have, except to say the RL22 has performed in a variety of firing platforms for me. I've never encountered the temperature problems others have reported. In fairness, we don't have the exceptionally high temperatures experience further south.

rodell":2un8kham said:
I use 61.3 grains of MRP (same as RL-22) under a 180 grain AccuBond .050" from the lands. The primer is a CCI 200. I get great groups consistently with this load.

4350 or 4451 are also good choices.

Ditto.

I just used 61grain MRP. That load if I remember push the 180grain into 840 m/sec(2755 ft/sec).

It´s been over 20 years ago since I reloaded for a .30-06. I actually miss that cartridge... :(

My 30:06 flat out loves RL-22 with the 180 PT. I can count on sub moa. For that matter my 300 mag with the same bullet does very well too. In western Wa. I don,t worry about the temp sensitivity issue as our temp swings are really not an issue. I have not loaded more than 61 grains with RL-22 but that charge is a real winner in my rifle. For lighter bullets I switch to H4350.

I worked up a load for a Remington M700 BDL and Classic in 30-06 with H4350SC to a hair over 2800 FPS with the 180 gr. Hornady Interlocks. Accuracy was just at slightly under MOA. Probably would have taken those rifles for my elk hunt but ran out of bullets and my LGS had none. So, I took the .35 Whelen again. If I'd taken the two Remmies, the 35 would still have gone along as back up. The two were just guns that haven't been blooded yet. Maybe later this year if I can find more of those bullets.
Paul B.

PJGunner":2gcjfda2 said:
I worked up a load for a Remington M700 BDL and Classic in 30-06 with H4350SC to a hair over 2800 FPS with the 180 gr. Hornady Interlocks. Accuracy was just at slightly under MOA. Probably would have take thatches rifles for my elk hunt but ran out of bullets and my LGS had none. So, I took the .35 Whelen again. If I'd taken the two Remmies, the 35 would still have gone along as back up. The two were just guns that haven't been blooded yet. Maybe later this year if I can find more of those bullets.
Paul B.

H4350SC? Or H4831SC?

In my early formative years I used 61 grains of "surplus" 4831, behind the old lath turned 180 gr, PT's. I used WW cases because they held more powder. A proven elk load, as 14 of them found out. I think that either powder will do well, use the one your rifle likes the best. . I do prefer the PT over any other bullet for hunting.

Rol - I don't know how to advise one between the RL-22 and H4350 in the .30-06, they're both excellent choices, along with good old H4831...

Load & go, I say. (y)

I shoot 58.0 grs H4350 with 180 gr NP's at 2735 fps in my Win Mod 70 XTR FWT 22" barrel, .75" 3 shot groups. Stopped trying to find anything better after that.

DrMike":i64g7tte said:
PJGunner":i64g7tte said:
I worked up a load for a Remington M700 BDL and Classic in 30-06 with H4350SC to a hair over 2800 FPS with the 180 gr. Hornady Interlocks. Accuracy was just at slightly under MOA. Probably would have take thatches rifles for my elk hunt but ran out of bullets and my LGS had none. So, I took the .35 Whelen again. If I'd taken the two Remmies, the 35 would still have gone along as back up. The two were just guns that haven't been blooded yet. Maybe later this year if I can find more of those bullets.
Paul B.

H4350SC? Or H4831SC?

H4350SC
Paul B.

Paul, I asked because I haven't seen H4350SC, but I am familiar with H4831SC. I don't find H4350SC on the Hodgdon site. A short cut H4350 might be of interest to me.

Mike - H4350 isn't even designated as "SC" or "short cut" anymore - but the little tubes of powder are shorter now than in the past for easier metering through powder measures.

Guy

Guy Miner":3o43ofv6 said:
Mike - H4350 isn't even designated as "SC" or "short cut" anymore - but the little tubes of powder are shorter now than in the past for easier metering through powder measures.

Guy

Got ya. I use a fair amount of H4350, but never saw another designation other that H4350. Thanks, Guy.

Great powder for me as well. Have several rifles that really respond well to it, but it's been difficult for me to find. I've explored some substitutes.

Seems like the world of gunpowder and other loading components really changed in recent years.

In years past, I could pretty well count on being able to go to the local gun shop and get the good old standard bullets, primers and powders I wanted. Now... Well, it's better than it was two years ago.

Guy

Guy Miner":927edr4j said:
Great powder for me as well. Have several rifles that really respond well to it, but it's been difficult for me to find. I've explored some substitutes.

Seems like the world of gunpowder and other loading components really changed in recent years.

In years past, I could pretty well count on being able to go to the local gun shop and get the good old standard bullets, primers and powders I wanted. Now... Well, it's better than it was two years ago.

Guy

Ditto here Guy. I have noticed that as well. I have never personally tried the 4831's in .30-06. That seems to be a pretty easy powder to find these days. H4350 is getting increasingly difficult to find. I was pretty well stocked up now am down to only 1#.

Will have to give those a try if I can't get H4350. Interestingly enough the IMR 4350 powder is increasingly easier to find. Interesting.

Dale

Does anyone believe in compensating errors? I do.. Since the good group that I had on Tuesday I have returned to the range and fired 4 groups with the same load and have yet to get better than 1.3+" groups. The group of Tuesday had to be compensating errors. My frustration has returned. Oh well, life is good.. This load development keeps me off the streets and outta the bars so to speak. :(
The search goes on and I may have to break out the Remington 700 CDL to see how it handles my loads, and prove to myself that I am not the weak link in the chain. It has been neglected since the arrival of the Montana.. Have a great weekend folks.

Ya, I've been eyeballing an 8 lb jug of IMR4350 at the local gun shop.

There seems to be no trouble getting IMR 4350, and years ago I used it to build some very good loads. Might have to go back to it.

BTW - got some fine accuracy from H4831 in the past too.

Guy

Back