.30-30 lever action, who still hunts with one?

Blkram":12vu07d8 said:
Have a Model 94 Big Bore in 356 Win that I've carried some, but have not yet harvested any game with. Will correct that someday soon.

Well, I should hope! :grin:

Guy Miner":2dil38qp said:
DrMike":2dil38qp said:
Yet once in a while over on Marlin Owners I see some guy griping about how "hard" his .30-30 Marlin kicks... I don't get it... :roll: More pushups was my suggestion to one fellow... :twisted:

Guy

In my late teens or early 20's I can remember the first time I fired a m 94 30-30 side by side with my 30-06 both with a hard butt plate. Honestly I was surprised how much the 30-30 hurt in comparison to the 30-06, the guns just don't fit me at all, same with the Marlin Guide guns they just don't fit. The M 94 307 Win with the "monte carlo" stock on the other hand fit very well (note to self: need to buy another one) :)

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go do some push ups :lol: :mrgreen:

Now that I found the Model 94 .32 special I mentioned in another post I will be hunting with it. Installed a Lyman model 66 peep and I'm ready to go for a sight in. My Maine Uncle took a deer every year with his 30-30 and never seemed to need anything else.

I carry one on the "Get on side", for in your face predator control.
They are handy around camp.

I use one but in 32 W SP, just this past fall I took this cow moose in Colorado with my Marlin 32 win sp.

I'd say the old 32 Win worked well for you. Fine dining, indeed.

Too Tall":14zr7bfa said:
I was just showed how to use tap talk and pictures.

Too Tall
Thompson Falls Montana

Careful, TT, posting pictures become a time sink. :grin: Fine first photo post! (y)

Another great thread!!! As ussual I'm late getting in on the topic. I haven't used a lever to hunt biggame for over 20 years but when I did it was dads ol 32 special that went out! I took a couple of deer with that rifle including the first buck I ever rattled in! A 14 yrd wack with ol win 170 gr PowerPoints . It used to be my grandpas and then dads saddle gun.. It sure isn't in as nice as shape as OT's . It's been beat up pretty good, ill have to tell Dad to throw it in next trip down so I can take a pic or two , maybe run a few thru it for old times sake.

This guy does..... He's got a few others in the arsenal, most of which will do the job but when it comes down to it the 336 gets the nod. CL

Well my lever rifle is a 336D so its a 35 rem, and wears a VX2-1-4 x20mm with Leupold std rings and mount in extra low. Its loaded to 2188 fps with a Rem 200 gr CLRN and works out to 200 yards very well. How ever its what I take when I am hunting thick cover and expect shots of 10 to 120 yards.

tjen - I'll bet that 200 gr .35 cal bullet does a GREAT job on bucks.

Seems you've got a real nice setup with the low powered variable Leupold on that Marlin. Sweet!

Guy

I bought a Marlin 336 30-30 for $80 it was a close out special as my father sold wholesale hardware and it was dealer cost. To date I have shot Rabbits with it and that's all. I put a Williams peep sight on and thought I would use it for timber hunting for which it's perfect. The problem is when I go out of state, I head west and the country is more open and the price of nonresident deer tags I take a bolt action.
If I hunted east of the Mississippi River I would use it, but I have not yet for Deer.

I am lucky and picked up 500 of the 200gr CLRN's before Midway ran out of stock some years ago. That load will do 2200 fps out of a 20" barrel and is amazing on stopping bucks. I think it is the best bullet for the 35rem.

I have not tried them in my 358win yet. I have some 225gr PT's but have not see a good buck to test them on. I would love to find a bullet for the 358win that is as matched for it as the 200gr CLRN is for the 35rem. I will pereferance that by saying the best white deer bullet for 10-250 yards shooting. I think the 225gr PT is likely the best for elk & moose. I get those to 2430fps in my 700/358win with a 20.5" barrel with listed loads.

The 358 Win and 225 PT is my favorite. Hammers deer flat. If you already have a good load if buy more Pts and hunt happily.

Back