30-30 Win Deer bullet test

chrome

Beginner
Jun 14, 2006
New bullets for the 30-30 Win have sparked my interest in the old-timer.
DSC04678-2.jpg

DSC04682-1.jpg

The original Barnes 150 grain X-bullet with its large hollow point looks good.
Wasn't impressed with the velocitiy. The bullet is long and has a much greater friction bearing surface than a convinsional lead core bullet. The new Tipleshock X-bullet should work better with the extra relief rings.

Was only getting 2,140 fps and shot the loads at 75 yards for 3 1/2" group.

DSC04700-1.jpg

DSC04697-1.jpg

The Hornady Monoflex is the bullet that really should reinvent the 30-30 Win.
Using Hodgdon LVR powder I was able to average 2,470 fps but accuracey was a little disappointing.

I was very disappointed in the Hornady 140 grain Monoflex. I figured I should be able to get over 2,500 fps with the lighter bullet. The bullet is very long (similar to a standard 170-180 gr. bullet).

Sighting in with the Hornady's reminded me of back when I was a teenager deer hunting with a single shot .410 attempting to hit a five gallon bucket at 50 yards.

DSC04693-1.jpg

DSC04699-1.jpg

DSC04702-1.jpg

DSC04723-2.jpg

After further research on the Monoflex and e-mailing Hornady the accuracy load is about two grains lower than my max load. What good is a ballistically superior bullet traveling 200 fps slower than the traditional load ?

Nosler 150 grain RN Ballistic Silvertips gave great velocity with the LVR powder. Accuracy was much better than the other loads.

The Ballistic Tip gave the highest velocity with the best accuracy.

This is the load that has impressed the most and I'll be using it this fall.

DSC04721-1.jpg

DSC03833.jpg

DSC03835-1.jpg

DSC04724-1.jpg

The Winchester Super-X Power Max Bonded 150 Grain Protected Hollow factory load gave good velocity. The powder Winchester uses looks in appearence as the Hodgdon LVR.
It averaged 2,425 fps 15 feet from the muzzle.

The bonded bullet works great! Wish I could get it as a component bullet.

DSC04718-1.jpg

DSC04715-1.jpg

Chrome, that is great reporting! I have some of the 150gr BST's for the 30-30 and might give them a whirl. Right now I am running the 170gr Speer Deep Curl at 2300 and am pretty impressed with accuracy. I will get some into jugs shortly to see how they expand. Once I can find some 170gr PT's for the 30-30, I am pretty sure that will be the last bullet I mess with in the 30-30 if it shoots properly. Scotty

Good report. Thanks for posting. I'm quite surprised that the monolithic bullets you tested didn't group better. However, there is nothing wrong with the BST.

For sure thanks for the report. There are a lot of different bullets for the ol 30-30.

Corey

DrMike":3nyap9m5 said:
Good report. Thanks for posting. I'm quite surprised that the monolithic bullets you tested didn't group better. However, there is nothing wrong with the BST.

I'm not sure, maybe its the Micro-groove rifling ?

I was hoping to get 2,500 fps along with 1 1/2" to 2" groups out of the Monoflex. :cry:

chrome,

Nicely done on a great bullet report!
Thanks for the time and effort.

JD338

Update

The .338 Hornady FP was taken from a four point buck shot in the rear (Texas heart shot) at a little over 100 yards. For comparison.

DSC04733-1.jpg

DSC04729-1.jpg

Very awesome test. That Barnes looks a little "hard" for the 30-30. Doesn't look like it opened a whole bunch. Either way, the rest of the bullets look pretty darned nice. What did you shoot the 338 out of? A Marlin 338ME? Great bullet tests, keep them coming. I love to see the bullet tests. Talk about a wealth of information in this section! It is really one of my favorites now. Scotty

The .338 bullet was fired from a custom 22" T/C Encore carbine barrel chambered in .33 WCF.

Muzzle velocity was a tad over 2,200 fps

Chrome - great stuff. You conducted a couple of good tests, and posted up some great photographs. Thanks!

Your .30-30 Marlin has me drooling... I really like that. The stainless/wood combo is great. That DNZ mount and 2-7x Leupold looks perfect for the rifle. Daddy wants a nice .30-30 now... :grin:

For deer, I'd be torn between the 150 gr Winchester bullet and the 150 Nosler. Both look good. I like a lot of expansion from a deer bullet.

Guy Miner":2fp49mba said:
Chrome - great stuff. You conducted a couple of good tests, and posted up some great photographs. Thanks!

Your .30-30 Marlin has me drooling... I really like that. The stainless/wood combo is great. That DNZ mount and 2-7x Leupold looks perfect for the rifle. Daddy wants a nice .30-30 now... :grin:

For deer, I'd be torn between the 150 gr Winchester bullet and the 150 Nosler. Both look good. I like a lot of expansion from a deer bullet.

Guy, you have got to try that Speer! It is wide at .875" at the widest and .800 at the narrowest part. Pretty impressive. Scotty

chrome":1g2uf18h said:
The .338 bullet was fired from a custom 22" T/C Encore carbine barrel chambered in .33 WCF.

Muzzle velocity was a tad over 2,200 fps

Very cool! Looks like a heckuva combo! Scotty

I've got some 130 grain Speer soft points coming. I hope to get a little more speed out of the lighter bullet. I here it holds together as well.

A good buddy of mine swore by those 130 Speers, from his .30-30 AI.

I don't know how much velocity he got from the AI version. He said it was a real sweet blacktail slammer though.

You know I have some of those Speer 130 lying around. I should give those a try in my marlin I have yet to load for it. kind of a shame I know

Corey

chrome,

Nicely done. Thanks for posting your report.
There are some good bullets for the 30-30.

JD338

Man how did I ever miss this post.

Bump up for the 30-30 crowd!

FOTIS":isvbc3yq said:
Man how did I ever miss this post.

Bump up for the 30-30 crowd!

Speers new Deep Curl is a very good bullet as well.. I have some of the CT 150's, but I haven't monkeyed with them as the Speers shoot so well..

I have loaded loaded 165 and 130 grn tsx in my 340 savage in 30-30 and both have got 1/2 inch groups with out breaking a sweat.r-15 has been great in this gun. I sure like to try the hornaby 140 mono bullet. :wink:

Back