30 caliber nosler Custom Competition

corbin9191

Handloader
Dec 2, 2007
Today I finally got a chance to go to the stores and find some good bullets for the 308 win. Well the store I went to was out of ballistic tips and Accubonds. So I picked up a pack of 168 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullets. As I was looking at the back of the bullets I noticed that they have a black residue on them and some of the bullets have this residue part way up the bullets. It will rub off after after a little time. Are the custom comp. bullets suppose to have this on them? And the tops of the bullet right below the hollow point it looks like some sand paper has been taken to them. I am not trying to put Nolser down by any means, (I mean come on they make some of the best bullets ever), but I am just wondering if this is usual.

These bullets were purchased at Sportman's warehouse so they shouldn't be seconds.

Call Nosler and let them know. If your not happy with them they will make it right.

Corbin,

Is the seal open. I never experienced anything like that on any of the bullet I purchased from Nosler or any other manufacturers. Sent it back to Sportsman or Nosler.

This is what a fresh box of .30 cal Nosler bullets looks like when I open 'em:
IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

I did remove the plastic wrap from around the bullets prior to the photo.

Guy

Guy Miner, Thank you for the photo. I am not really worried about calling Nosler and telling them because last night I took some time and cleaned the black residue off the bullets and then just polished them up a bit, so now the bullets look just like the ones in Guy Miner's photo. But I did find a bullet that had a crack from the top to about 1/4 down the bullet. But I will just use that as a fouling shot.

A crack? I bought some Nosler seconds years ago. Some of them had a seam or "crack" running down the jacket. They were terribly inaccurate and at least one came completely unglued in flight. I could hear the buzzing as the jacket seemed to unwrap. The bullet never made it to the target, just vaporized itself.

I shot a few of them. Some made it to the target w/poor accuracy. Threw the rest out and I wouldn't even bother loading them if I found more like that. This was some years ago.

I suspect you ran into some Seconds priced like full quality bullets.

Guy

Guy Miner":1ebuvu78 said:
A crack? I bought some Nosler seconds years ago. Some of them had a seam or "crack" running down the jacket. They were terribly inaccurate and at least one came completely unglued in flight. I could hear the buzzing as the jacket seemed to unwrap. The bullet never made it to the target, just vaporized itself.

I shot a few of them. Some made it to the target w/poor accuracy. Threw the rest out and I wouldn't even bother loading them if I found more like that. This was some years ago.

I suspect you ran into some Seconds priced like full quality bullets.

Guy
I went through the whole batch of the bullets and there was only one bullet that had a crack down it. I also weighed all of them and there was some bullets that weighed .5 grains off from the others but most of them weighed 167.7 grains. Hopefully I will have better luck next time at picking out some bullets. :oops:

Back