.30 Caliber

tim knight

Beginner
Jul 20, 2006
looking to buy 30 caliber rifle but not sure which one, advice needed. Was looking at 308 win,300 wsm or 300 win mag, thanks

That is tough to answer without knowing the following:

What is the intended use for your rifle?
What size game are you hunting?
What is the maxium range you intend on shooting?
What level of accuracy are you wanting?
What action length do you want?
What weight rifle?
What recoil level are you comfortable with?

JD338

JD338":1fegvkuv said:
That is tough to answer without knowing the following:

What is the intended use for your rifle?
What size game are you hunting?

JD338

Answer these first then we will "talk" :wink:

Rifle is for hunting
Red deer, Sika deer average weight 120kg
300 yards max
was looking at buying sako 75 or 85 or mannlicher half stock.
not sure about recoil i shoot 243 win sako 75 and 220 swift
ruger no1v but both have moderators so recoil is minimal.

tim knight

The Sako 75 is a very nice rifle.
The 308 Win or 30-06 would get the job done with mild recoil for what you are seeking. The 300 WSM just might be the perfect choice for everything plus anything else in the future. 165 gr -180gr bullets will cover mosthunting situations. There will be more recoil with the 300 WSM but nothing severe. If it is a problem, a good recoil pad like the Pachmyer Decelerator or Limbsaver should take care of it.

Good luck with your 30 cal and let us know what you select.

JD338

Out to 300 yards, any 308 will do the job. 308's are also very accurate so putting the bullet on the money wont be a problem. No need for magnum power for shots closer then 300 yards.

thanks for replies. Is there much more recoil with a 300 wsm than 308 win and is performance much better? Always hard to decide on new caliber unless you can try them all. Have a friend with a 300 win mag hoping to try it this weekend should give me an idea. Does the win mag have the most recoil? Also which is the best all rounder as it is hard to get to many guns in england. Thanks again for all your help nice to get some constructive views.

Tim,

Does the local approving authority for your firearms certificate approve of magnum rifles? I understand that in some locales, they won't sign off if "magnum" is part of the cartridge name - even if it's a .22 magnum rimfire!

A .300 WSM and a .300 Winchester magnum are roughly equal in performance. And recoil.

Re: Performance. I ran a ballistic program to see what the difference in drop is between a 165 grain bullet fired from a .308 @2670 FPS, and a .300 WSM @3100. If both are zeroed at 100 yards, the .308 drops 5" more at 300. That difference is not very significant on a deer sized animal.

Re: Availability. You can buy ammunition and components for the .308 in most places.

If you were to stick to your parameters, then go for either 30-06 or .308Win. 30-06 edges out .308Win when using heavier bullets and can be loaded hotter, because of case capacity. Either will fill the needs that you outlined.
That said, life can offer a lot. Should you want to go after heavier game at longer ranges, you may enter the realm of the Magnum. My pick would be the 300Win Mag, for these reasons: availability of factory ammo in a wide choice of bullet weights. Can be loaded "down" to recoil no more than a .308Win. Can provide effective ranges longer than either .308 or 30-06.
So, if you have any idea that you may want to move up, start with the 300Win Mag and you will have one rifle that can probably handle any game that will ever have a chance to go after.

My pick would be the 300Win Mag, for these reasons: availability of factory ammo in a wide choice of bullet weights. Can be loaded "down" to recoil no more than a .308Win. Can provide effective ranges longer than either .308 or 30-06.
So, if you have any idea that you may want to move up, start with the 300Win Mag and you will have one rifle that can probably handle any game that will ever have a chance to go after.

tim knight":1w4i0tyx said:
Rifle is for hunting
Red deer, Sika deer average weight 120kg
300 yards max
was looking at buying sako 75 or 85 or mannlicher half stock.
not sure about recoil i shoot 243 win sako 75 and 220 swift
ruger no1v but both have moderators so recoil is minimal.

The 308 Win will be absolutely PLENTY for your needs as stated... there's certainly no need for a more powerful, harder kicking round. All the 30's you mention are basically "equal" inside 300 yards. It's only at longer range does the velocity of the various 30 cal Magnums become more desireable.

As one friend of mine says, "All Big Game cartridges are basically equal inside 300 yards." Within reason, I think that's true.

Hmmmmmm.....the 30/06! How 'novel' and idea!

But...is it accurate enough??

It's only won more matches at Camp Perry than all the other calibers combined!! :lol: :lol:

Sharpsman":1i0ehj7n said:
It's only won more matches at Camp Perry than all the other calibers combined!!
The latter statement is a bit misleading :grin: . From 1906 to around 1957, the 30-06 was the ONLY cartridge allowed to be used at the Nationals for shooting at distances of 600 yards and less. Between circa 1957 to sometime in the 1980s, rifles for 600 yards and less had to be chambered in either 7.62 NATO/.308 Winchester, or 30-06.

POP said it !

It's the old ought-six :wink: .

There was also another comment made many years ago by a fellow named Jack O'Connor. .... "there isn't anything any more versatile than this perpetual best seller, the 30/06."

Kodiak

Asa Yam":3oft4brf said:
Sharpsman":3oft4brf said:
It's only won more matches at Camp Perry than all the other calibers combined!!
The latter statement is a bit misleading :grin: . From 1906 to around 1957, the 30-06 was the ONLY cartridge allowed to be used at the Nationals for shooting at distances of 600 yards and less. Between circa 1957 to sometime in the 1980s, rifles for 600 yards and less had to be chambered in either 7.62 NATO/.308 Winchester, or 30-06.

Asa Yam

Not misleading at all; PURE FACT!! :lol: :wink:

300wsm and the recoil is between the 308 and 300win. I believe it is right with 06 with more velocity for the same recoil. That whole efficiency of burn thing again,.

Back