300 H&H first try

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I have a nice 300 H&H, M70 P64.. It has taken me awhile to get the mounts the way I wanted. For some reason if I mounted it on flat rings, I couldn't get enough elevation out of it. Well, I used the old Redfield Jr base on Burris Rings with the eccentrics. I got that worked out and through together a load of 69 grains of H4350.

Well, I had RL26 in the hopper and decided to try some of it in the old bird, along with a couple 175-180's I had on the shelf.

First up was the 180 TTSX

Next was the Federal 175 TA

Last was the 180 BT again

All three would toss a 3rd round, which makes me suspect bedding? Might try to loosen up the forend screw and put a little blue Loctite on it and see what changes. I was quite amazed the speed this thing was making. I checked QL and while at the top end, I wasn't exactly way up in the stratosphere. Anyhow, just wanted to show the beginning of load work with the old gun. It is a dandy old rifle that I enjoy shooting, so I will figure it out eventually.

Nice piece of history

This is out of my 300 H&H Ruger #1S. Sad I sold it.

9efG4W0.jpg

A real classic rifle and cartridge. I'm sure you will get it worked out. Would make sense to her that rifle into the mountains for an elk hunt or two.

JD338

A handsome old piece. Are you still shooting at 200 yards?
Man, I wished that was at 200... I wouldn't feel like I have so much work to do!

Nice piece of history

This is out of my 300 H&H Ruger #1S. Sad I sold it.

9efG4W0.jpg

I like that Fotis. I am not sure which bullet I wanna focus on, but man, that 180 BT has shot decently a few times.

Scotty,
It's still a 450-500 yard elk buster as is.

JD338

Scotty,
It's still a 450-500 yard elk buster as is.

JD338
I'll get it shooting Jim.. I love shooting that old rifle. I hardly ever believed it, but you almost don't notice the cartridges being fed into the chamber. I'll sort it out though. I was half amazed at the speeds 26 were giving with it. I have a pile of the old WW brass, so I feel like I can make something happen.

Don,
The 180 gr PT is ment for the 300 H&H Mag.

JD338

My load of 4350 and Coal. Is the same Scotty. I found in my #1 it did not like to be pushed. I got to 3k and it opened up.

The 300 H&H is the original 30 cal bad boy that set the performance standard we enjoy today. I know the 300 Win Mag gets it done in a shorter length action, but the H&H feeds like corn through a goose and just has that old school cool factor. Glad to see you working on it, Scotty!
V/R,
Joe

The 300 H&H is the original 30 cal bad boy that set the performance standard we enjoy today. I know the 300 Win Mag gets it done in a shorter length action, but the H&H feeds like corn through a goose and just has that old school cool factor. Glad to see you working on it, Scotty!
V/R,
Joe
Thanks Joe. Going to try to get some test stuff loaded up this weekend.

So I have been working with the 300 a bit lately. I have a decent stash of 200 grain Sierra SBT's and decent stash of the old screw machine 200 Nosler SS's. Plan is to get the Sierras as good as possible and sub in the Nosler's later on. I decided to use good old H4831SC along with CCI250s and WW brass.

I had a few groups I shot lower in charges and nothing was really noteworthy. Once I pushed up around 70, it started looking a bit better. I loaded up another handful of them and shortened them down .020 as well to see if the seating adjustment will help with anything, but the old 300 isn't doing terrible. I need to get in and adjust the trigger again cause it feels a might heavier than I like, but it is nice to see the old girl trying to earn a spot in the line up for the fall!

It's taking shape Scotty. The ol 30 Mag just has a ton of cool factor.

JD338
It is fun to shoot that sucker Jim. I had them up around 3K and decided backing down to around 2900 will work fine and maybe make my brass last a bit longer. It really is a nice shooting rifle.

Delightful old cartridge. You are definitely closing in on perfection with those loads.

Back