300 H&H first try

Hey Scotty don’t you have any 180 partitions? I can send you some. I think the old girl is trying to tell you something…. Don’t push her and don’t feed her all that modern crap!
I probably have some of the 180 PPT's on the shelf Don ;)

But I also have a decent stash of old screw machine turned 200 grain Semi Spitzer Partitions I am hard headed about using in the old 300..

I probably have some of the 180 PPT's on the shelf Don ;)

But I also have a decent stash of old screw machine turned 200 grain Semi Spitzer Partitions I am hard headed about using in the old 300..
Mr. John Nosler would be very proud of you Scotty.

JD338

I think I have finally found about the best load I can get with the 200 SGK's in my old 300. Took my best load of 71 grains of H4831SC and seated them at 3.530".

While not head shooting squirrel accurate, still within the margins for elk..

I was getting too big for my britches when I saw the first two go into the same hole, so all that was left to do is drop the last shot out of the group :cool:

I moved the scopes 3 clicks to the left to try and center up the group.

Overall, pretty happy with the performance of it at this point. Went back home last night and loaded a bunch more of the 200 SGK's and 6 of the 200 grain Nosler SS's at 3.530" as well just to see how those old round balls shoot.

Wish me luck, might get out today and see what they do.

When all goes right, it only takes one in the vitals to kill cleanly...
And if you need just one follow up shot, a couple of your groups had two pretty much in hole; now that's accurate!
That third shot not far out of the group may not be as pretty, but it will still kill if placed properly, if needed.
I would be comfortable with that performance!:)

Shot the 200 grain Noslers at 100

Not sure if it was me or the load, or maybe a combo, but it was good enough to try it at 400 yards. It was about 50 FPS on average slower than the Sierra's, but I wanted to see what they would do so I moved the mobile bench out..

I shot 3 of the Sierras first.

Then I shot three of the Noslers.

As expected it was a bit lower on the paper.

I loaded up some more of them a bit shorter in OAL and added a grain of powder to see if I can match the Sierra's a bit better. Overall, I am fairly happy with how the 300 is shooting though. Those big 200 SS Partitions are pretty cool to me, a good friend gave me two boxes of them so I am determined to get them elk capable. Hoping to get out and these loads out and see what they do.

Scotty,
It looks pretty good to me as well. I think your final tweaks should get you where you want to be.
That old 200 SS PT is a cool looking bullet and it will definitely get the job done on a big ol' bull elk. Definitely a lot of nostalgia there. Just save a few for a moose hunt buddy.

JD338

Back