300 H&H Magnum

BK":1nq6gy26 said:
FOTIS":1nq6gy26 said:
He's done.....

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for being my on-line buddies. Every once in a while, someone shows up who brings into sharp focus just exactly how good we have it, just by being miserable people. Aleena... heck, just about any of you'se guys (and gals) here... I'd gladly buy the first round of drinks or cup of coffee, just to be able to sit face to face with kindred spirits...

Muchos gracias, mi amigos...

Well said Kurt. Every single one of you I have met in person has been GREAT!!! Between here and LEL, there are a great group of folks. I would like to meet up with more of you in the future. Preferably in a place you might know where there are some elk...

That danged WildGene is holding out on me! HA! :twisted:

I agree that went down with minimal angst and tears. He got what he deserved (snubbed by everybody) and then dumped. Thank you Fotis for the Coup de Grace!

SJB358":3okpifnf said:
Well said Kurt. Every single one of you I have met in person has been GREAT!!! Between here and LEL, there are a great group of folks. I would like to meet up with more of you in the future. Preferably in a place you might know where there are some elk...

That danged WildGene is holding out on me! HA! :twisted:
From what I saw during M/L season, Scotty, I think you guys went about 150 miles too far!

Ok..... having decided not to convert the BRNO to a 300 H&H. Mostly cause of the cost at this time.

Let's move to another thought just for grins.

338-8mm??

Re: On the wisdom of converting a 98 Mauser action to .300H&H. P.O. Ackley, Jerry Kuhnhausen ("The Mauser Bolt Actions: A Shop Manual") and others all stand corrected, Old Trader! That bottom locking lug recess isn't really necessary anyhow. Krags do just fine with one locking lug. LOL! Just because it can be done doesn't mean that it should be done.

Winchester got away with it in the Model 70 for 75 years with the Ouch & Ouch's and it is basically a Mauser to boot..

Somehow I missed this one, but I had the same going on with the top paragraph. and totally agree with the bottom. Man,,,,,some people just are plain fubar!

Guy Miner":1jbj7lkh said:
Mortis - love the idea of the .300 H&H, it's a classic cartridge. Came pretty close to buying a .300 H&H Number One to go along with my .375 H&H Number One - just because they're cool and I really enjoy hunting with them. Happen to have somehow come into possession of a few boxes of .300 H&H ammo too. Not sure how that happened as I've never owned one!

RalphW - good grief man - we don't get to dictate how others spend their money! You take care of your money, I'll take care of mine and Aleena can take care of hers, using it as she sees fit.

Dang...

Guy

Mortis":1k8xkygl said:
Ok..... having decided not to convert the BRNO to a 300 H&H. Mostly cause of the cost at this time.

Let's move to another thought just for grins.

338-8mm??
Assuming that action used to have an 8mm barrel on it, it might be fitting to run with the nostalgic bullet and fit it into a more contemporary case. I have a nicely sporterized VZ24 8x57 that has been whispering to me about how much it wants to become a 325WSM. I've also thought of rebarreling to 6.5 of some flavor, but I think I'm liking the 325 route a bit more.

That would do the trick, get the elk cartirdge and all that. Converting an 8mm Mauser to .325 entails only reamers and feed rails. Robert, you have my vote.

Oldtrader3":3i7qcvfn said:
That would do the trick, get the elk cartirdge and all that. Converting an 8mm Mauser to .325 entails only reamers and feed rails. Robert, you have my vote.

...probably have to set the barrel back a few threads...

wildgene":31rs7pek said:
Oldtrader3":31rs7pek said:

...probably have to set the barrel back a few threads...
I have yet to do anything of this nature, but from what I can tell, it will entail the steps you and Charlie outlined and some bolt face work. I don't know for sure, but I think that's about it.

My first trip to Scotland was with a M98 .300H&H loaded up with 70grain of Norma MRP topped with a 200grain AB.
The 300 winmag might have slight edge in the velocity dept with lesser weight bullets but in the heavybullet dept 220-240grain there is no difference between these two.

Well, while they are not fearsome beasts, a couple of North Carolina bucks have found that the 300H&H does bad things to them. I decked a couple of bucks last week with the 300H&H. It was um......definitive..... in it's killing capabilities on whitetails.

Congratulations, Tom. That is a great report. Undoubtedly, you'll enjoy the fruits of that rifle's work this year.

Charlie, it did a nice job. It actually really wrecked the one I shot on a hard quartering angle. The one I shot broadside wasn't banged up to badly at all.

Yeah Tom, you have to pick your shots with that rifle unless it is much longer range. I always, werever possible, waited for a lung shot.

Back